Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:31 PM

159 posts, read 230,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
It is not prayer that saves us, it is Jesus that saves us. I can pray and not belong to Jesus.

When you are praying and accepting Jesus into your heart, you are really saying that Jesus is your Lord and Savior, not that the prayer is saving you, only Jesus has that power.

I think that people have things confused now days, and think that a simple prayer is going to send them to heaven, not, I can pray and go to hell.
And where does the bible say by accepting Him as Lord and Savior in our heart we are saved? Or where is an example in the bible of someone being saved that way better yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 04:36 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
And where does the bible say by accepting Him as Lord and Savior in our heart we are saved? Or where is an example in the bible of someone being saved that way better yet?
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."Revelation 3:20

All throughout the bible God is encouraging us, to follow him, but this scripture exemplifies it, in a more direct way. He states that, he is there, waiting for us to open the doors of our hearts, and when we do, he'll enter.

To accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, is simply a way of saying to God, that you want him in your life, that you open the door of your heart [obviously metaphorically speaking, for all you literal people].

You can't get into heaven, or by means, can't even get to the Father but through Jesus.

Jesus never said all you have to do to be saved is just believe in me. The Bible says that even the devils believe and tremble (James 2:19). What He did say is "except a man be born or water and of Spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). What He did say was "...strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it". (Matthew 7:14) Paul said: "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Rom. 8:9)
--------------------------------------…
Peter was given the keys of the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 16:19) Many people picture Peter at heavens gate because of this. But these were not physical keys! Peter shared these same keys with us. . .
In Acts 2:37 They asked the Apostles what they should do, and Peter said: "REPENT, and be BAPTIZED every one of you in the NAME of JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and ye shall RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST." - Acts 2:38

Accepting Jesus is as He says, you are making Him God and placing Him over your life. Accepting Jesus, is not just saying ok, I accept you Jesus, now I will be in heaven, NO, He is clear on how to get into heaven, through Him and only by Him, will you enter.

Did Jesus not say, "he who believes in me shall have eternal life" That means you must accept Him, believe in Him, and follow as He says, If you don't, you want have eternal life.? When you accept, follow, Jesus, you are saying that He is the only God that you will follow, beside all of the idols out there.

How can you believe in something or someone, if you don't accept them? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what the word accept means?

You must didn't understand what I wrote, so, I will make it much much easier. When you pray to Jesus ( into your heart meaning you want God over your life- accepting Jesus simply in your heart want get you into Heaven) you are making Him your God, your Savior, Your redeemer, the only one that can save you from Hell. You make Him head of your life, your God, you follow after Him and do what He says that you need to do to get into heaven. You receive the Holy Spirit, which is Christ Spirit, who will lead your way and guide you.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 09-24-2009 at 04:50 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 04:45 PM

159 posts, read 230,588 times
Quote:
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."Revelation 3:20

All throughout the bible God is encouraging us, to follow him, but this scripture exemplifies it, in a more direct way. He states that, he is there, waiting for us to open the doors of our hearts, and when we do, he'll enter.

To accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, is simply a way of saying to God, that you want him in your life, that you open the door of your heart [obviously metaphorically speaking, for all you literal people].

You can't get into heaven, or by means, can't even get to the Father but through Jesus.

Jesus never said all you have to do to be saved is just believe in me. The Bible says that even the devils believe and tremble (James 2:19). What He did say is "except a man be born or water and of Spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). What He did say was "...strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it". (Matthew 7:14) Paul said: "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Rom. 8:9)
Peter was given the keys of the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 16:19) Many people picture Peter at heavens gate because of this. But these were not physical keys! Peter shared these same keys with us. . .
In Acts 2:37 They asked the Apostles what they should do, and Peter said: "REPENT, and be BAPTIZED every one of you in the NAME of JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and ye shall RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST." - Acts 2:38

Accepting Jesus is as He says, you are making Him God and placing Him over your life. Accepting Jesus, is not just saying ok, I accept you Jesus, now I will be in heaven, NO, He is clear on how to get into heaven, through Him and only by Him, will you enter.

Did Jesus not say, "he who believes in me shall have eternal life" That means you must accept Him, believe in Him, and follow as He says, If you don't, you want have eternal life.

When you accept, follow, Jesus, you are saying that He is the only God that you will follow, beside all of the idols out there.
Ok I agree you must except and believe. So why would you not also need to repent and be baptized like Acts 2:37-38 like you showed.

And Rev 3:20 is talking about repentance of those who are already christians look at who He is talking to. The "church of the Laodecians". The church is the saved (Acts 2:47). Plus door = heart is totally opinion and not clear at all.

I believe we must believe (john 3:16, John 8:24) repent (Luke 13:3, Acts 17:30), confess(Matt. 10:32, Romans 10:9-10) be baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:21, Mark 16:16, Col. 2:12, Romans 6:3-6, etc) and be faithful unto death (Rev 2:10).

Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Ok I agree you must except and believe. So why would you not also need to repent and be baptized like Acts 2:37-38 like you showed.

And Rev 3:20 is talking about repentance of those who are already christians look at who He is talking to. The "church of the Laodecians". The church is the saved (Acts 2:47). Plus door = heart is totally opinion and not clear at all.

I believe we must believe (john 3:16, John 8:24) repent (Luke 13:3, Acts 17:30), confess(Matt. 10:32, Romans 10:9-10) be baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:21, Mark 16:16, Col. 2:12, Romans 6:3-6, etc) and be faithful unto death (Rev 2:10).
Of course you have to believe and have faith. God says that you can't even please Him without faith. We have to repent daily, and of course be baptized.

When I talk about the heart, I am implying, going toward God. In my opinion, your heart has to be right, I mean, if you don't want God, you simply want come to Him. Something in your heart has to change to even want to have Him over your life as your God.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,406,306 times
Quote:
I agree that we are saved by grace and do not earn it. I also know that in order to attain that grace we must obey by our works.
That is contradictory. Grace is freely given and therefore by definition you can't work for it. Salvation is a free gift and therefore you do not work for it. The point of John 6:29 is that you DON'T work for salvation, but only BELIEVE. Salvation depends on God, not on us. Jesus Christ removed sin as an issue and removed it as a barrier between man and God. But God requires a volitional choice on our part to either believe or not believe. We step over the line where the barrier of sin used to be by believing in Christ. It is just that simple for us because of what it cost Christ in providing our salvation.

Quote:
Like John 6:29 above says, believing is a work and we all agree you must believe. Obviously, we do need works. A dead faith does not save anybody because a dead faith is not existent. Jesus says a person calling him "Lord" and being a good person is not enough. We must obey Him by keeping His commandments. The bible says this over and over.
If by His comandments you are refering to the ten commandments and the Mosaic Law, the book of Romans explains that the law has been set aside for Christians. The entire purpose of the law was to show that man is incapable of keeping the law and is in need of a Savior.

If you were not refering to that, the only commandment for salvation is to believe. If anything is added to 'believe,' then it is faith plus works and you are not saved.

Regarding faith; when a person expresses faith in Christ for salvation, that faith is being expressed by a person who is spiritually dead. It requires the ministry of God the Holy Spirit in the ministry of efficacious grace, to take that faith and carry it to the point of salvation to make the faith effective for salvation. The faith in itself is powerless to save you. It is the object of your faith, Jesus Christ, that saves you.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:20 PM

320 posts, read 449,186 times
Quote:
It is not prayer that saves us, it is Jesus that saves us. I can pray and not belong to Jesus.

When you are praying and accepting Jesus into your heart, you are really saying that Jesus is your Lord and Savior, not that the prayer is saving you, only Jesus has that power.

I think that people have things confused now days, and think that a simple prayer is going to send them to heaven, not, I can pray and go to hell.

Jesus says that I am the Way, the Truth and The Life, not Prayer is the the Way, The Truth, and the Life. Prayer is just our means of communication with God. From my understanding when you are praying to accept Jesus, you are communicationg to Him that you want Him to be your Lord and Savior and accepting His way of LIfe, and will follow Him.
Sorry but all your comment's here are further from the truth! Rom 10:8,9,10. But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, that is the word of faith we are proclaiming: That ifyou confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified. and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Is Prayer not openning up your mouth and confessing unto salvation. Course it Is! So yes Prayer/Confession Is Salvation! In order to be saved and stay that way we need to open our mouths in prayer daily! Why? Because prayer connect's us to GOD, you cease in prayer you will be open to sickness/diseases/ and temptation's of all sort, So I say Prayer/Confession is a Life line!

to each his own!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM

320 posts, read 449,186 times
Quote:

Did Jesus not say, "he who believes in me shall have eternal life" That means you must accept Him, believe in Him, and follow as He says, If you don't, you want have eternal life.? When you accept, follow, Jesus, you are saying that He is the only God that you will follow, beside all of the idols out there.

How can you believe in something or someone, if you don't accept them? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what the word accept means?

You must didn't understand what I wrote, so, I will make it much much easier. When you pray to Jesus ( into your heart meaning you want God over your life- accepting Jesus simply in your heart want get you into Heaven) you are making Him your God, your Savior, Your redeemer, the only one that can save you from Hell. You make Him head of your life, your God, you follow after Him and do what He says that you need to do to get into heaven. You receive the Holy Spirit, which is Christ Spirit, who will lead your way and guide you.
Why do you go into so much detail here? your whole concept and interpretation of God's word is misleading and decieving! I wouldn't trust your wisdom as being God's wisdom, because your wisdom is earthly and unspiritual, ETers are darkened in there understanding and without heavenly wisdom from God! there are many people on CD whom I value as having wisdom and insight from God and yep even Atheist Non believers, because God uses anyone to open our eye's of understanding! I'm sorry but you don't fit the bill lady, bless your heart though, maybe God is using you for different purpose who knows!

God bless take care!

Old 09-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynerd View Post
Sorry but all your comment's here are further from the truth! Rom 10:8,9,10. But what does it say? "The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, that is the word of faith we are proclaiming: That ifyou confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified. and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Is Prayer not openning up your mouth and confessing unto salvation. Course it Is! So yes Prayer/Confession Is Salvation! In order to be saved and stay that way we need to open our mouths in prayer daily! Why? Because prayer connect's us to GOD, you cease in prayer you will be open to sickness/diseases/ and temptation's of all sort, So I say Prayer/Confession is a Life line!

to each his own!
LOL, you don't understand what you write. Demons can pray, but does that mean that they serve the Lord. Give me scripture that says that prayer is going to get you into heaven. LOL, the very scripture, of Romans, is saying that you must have faith. LOL, just as I said.

You can open your mouth daily and not confess the Lord as your Savior, but without faith you can't please the Lord,. Prayer is communication between you and the Lord. Prayer along will not get you into heaven. Sorry, if you think so.

Quote:
That ifyou confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
You poor thing do you not understand what this scripture is saying. You are confessing that Jesus is your Lord, and your heart along is not getting you into heaven, Faith and Jesus is. I guess you didn't see the believe and confess part. LOL, and you think that you have wisdom, please.

Show, me scripture that says that prayer, alone will get you into heaven and your heart will get you there?

It seems like you are trusting on the heart. LOL This is what God has to say about the Heart;

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately
wicked: who can know it?"
Jeremiah 17:9, KJV

Matthew 15:19
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony,
slander.

So, your heart along want get you there, but trust yours and see where that gets you!!

I have read over every scripture about the heart and none of them says anything about the heart getting you into heaven.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 09-24-2009 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynerd View Post
Why do you go into so much detail here? your whole concept and interpretation of God's word is misleading and decieving! I wouldn't trust your wisdom as being God's wisdom, because your wisdom is earthly and unspiritual, ETers are darkened in there understanding and without heavenly wisdom from God! there are many people on CD whom I value as having wisdom and insight from God and yep even Atheist Non believers, because God uses anyone to open our eye's of understanding! I'm sorry but you don't fit the bill lady, bless your heart though, maybe God is using you for different purpose who knows!

God bless take care!
My interpretation is not misleading, you just want your own interpretation. No, you poor thing, you quote scripture and don't even see what you are quoting.

LOL, you dont even fit the bill to even interpret a scripture, much less tell me. You don't have to trust my wisdom, I trust and follow what God's Word says.

LOL, Jesus even said that some Who call Him Lord, Lord, will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
My interpretation is not misleading, you just want your own interpretation. No, you poor thing, you quote scripture and don't even see what you are quoting.

LOL, you dont even fit the bill to even interpret a scripture, much less tell me. You don't have to trust my wisdom, I trust and follow what God's Word says.

LOL, Jesus even said that some Who call Him Lord, Lord, will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
whoa nelly...

As I was reading your posts it is simply amazing how you can use words and not understand they are contradictory. Miss Shawn... If you have to believe in something for it to be true then you have WORKED for it!!!

Work: exertion or effort directed to produce or accomplish something; labor; toil.

Belief to accomplish salvation is work by definition.

Having faith is also something that you do to produce salvation.

Salvation IS... you can't make it happen or not make it happen. The gift is yours. You an open it now or later but it is still yours.

Salvation was in the Word of God since the beginning. OT good guys were counted as righteous and they simply loved God. They are saved by God not by belief or faith or works or prayer or anything else.

Those who love are of God. Those that don't love are not of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity