Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:15 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,631,034 times

Advertisements

I am not sure just what moved me to post today. I know that the movie worked on me. I have not been the best example of christian love these past few months. I am saved, the lucky benefit of a church going grandmother many decades ago.
My prayer life has faded. I think I will make a prayer list as some have suggested. I had not thought about it. Thanks for the good ideas and your testimony. It is easy to get so busy you forget your spirit. I think the readers of C-D are so lucky to have this forum. Have a blessed day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 12:29 PM

I was a child when Dr. King was assassinated, actually living within 100 miles of his church.
What an impact he had in such a short time. This is a wonderful speech, and so in line with our discussion. Thank you for posting it.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 PM

8,121 posts, read 6,864,053 times
You are so welcome.
It blessed me too because I hadn't read it in a long time.
And the idea behind your thread and then pleroo's post reminded me of it.
Hope you have a peace filled day.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:00 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,729,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I know. Powerful, isn't it?
"Love your enemies."
This, for me was truly the start of a wonderful new journey with our Father.

I could quote the whole thing. But here is one tidbit:
Yeah this is interesting. King makes a great point. I was just about to post a response when i came across you post and the snippet from Kings speech and he pretty much said what i was about to say.

Let us try and understand what love is beyond the sentimentality of it. Love is not simply an emotion, though love does have an emotional effect on us. Love is an ideal, and more then that it is a value. Love is a sense of the true value of everything. Love is a rational appreciation for all life.

So if i am to love my enemy, I am to understand their value as a living being, and appreciate their existence as a being of some benefit regardless of the things they do. If i am looking for the best in people, and i am apologizing(to myself) for the worst in them, i am appreciating them and considering their individual value beyond the surface appearances. Love is a higher moral and logical ground. Again love is not an emotional reaction, it is a transcendent perspective of universal value which effects an emotional reaction. We must look for the silver lining. You can find a good reason for everything, even Satan and evil itself, if you allow love into your heart to help you see beyond the gross matter of the world to the reality within.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Yeah this is interesting. King makes a great point. I was just about to post a response when i came across you post and the snippet from Kings speech and he pretty much said what i was about to say.

Let us try and understand what love is beyond the sentimentality of it. Love is not simply an emotion, though love does have an emotional effect on us. Love is an ideal, and more then that it is a value. Love is a sense of the true value of everything. Love is a rational appreciation for all life.

So if i am to love my enemy, I am to understand their value as a living being, and appreciate their existence as a being of some benefit regardless of the things they do. If i am looking for the best in people, and i am apologizing(to myself) for the worst in them, i am appreciating them and considering their individual value beyond the surface appearances. Love is a higher moral and logical ground. Again love is not an emotional reaction, it is a transcendent perspective of universal value which effects an emotional reaction. We must look for the silver lining. You can find a good reason for everything, even Satan and evil itself, if you allow love into your heart to help you see beyond the gross matter of the world to the reality within.
Great post, Ironwaw.
Love conquers ALL.
Love is the most powerful thing in this universe...
for God IS love.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,936,824 times
I have a big dart board in my office with their pictures pinned to it. It works for me.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have a big dart board in my office with their pictures pinned to it. It works for me.
lol.. be careful with that..been there done that. You'll look up one day, just as that dart is sailing through the air and you'll suddenly see a picture of yourself staring back at ya.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:27 PM

14,705 posts, read 17,039,261 times
What a powerful thread. Thank you so much for sharing. God bless.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
i hear you. yes, your sense of fighting spirit your sense of principle is good, now stop using 12 gauge on flies.
right tool for the right job.
i gota work on gentleness 24/7.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 AM

Post Maybe there is a sermon here

Huck, I may write your advice down and post it at work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity