U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-27-2009, 05:38 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,041,213 times
Smile How do you remember to love your enemies?

This may sound cheesy but I watched Ben-Hur last night, one of my all time favorite movies. I am always moved about the testimony of this film with it's pure simple message of the love of Christ as Judah says "takes the sword from my hand".
I tend to be heavy handed with people, co-workers more than anyone, any suggestions to be more like Christ at work when you are ready to strangle someone?
I get rather old testament.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,114,200 times
How can you expect anyone else to be perfect if you aren't perfect? Look at it that way, then count to ten or walk away.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:26 AM

Or occasionally 20....
Really life has caused me to become so jaded it seems. My capacity for compassion seems to have faded. It was a good reminder when I watched the movie. You never know how you will receive help.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,114,200 times
In my own experiences, I must realize that the person who I'm angry at is just a reflection of my own thoughts. If I think their angry at me because of an action, it's only in my thoughts. It's really not me but the action so I tend to never get angry. I try to look at things from their perspective and think of a positive response to the situation. Normally, I don't encounter situations where one or another is angry. I have overcome that emotion.
What we think we will surely encounter. I'm always happy and upbeat so I don't get in those situations nor am I ever around people who are angry. I'm surrounded by all positive people and if I do see someone I'm not interacting with who is angry, I tend to stay away. I just don't bother with them because I know in my heart that they have personal issues to overcome.
We are here to love and if someone is not acting in love with themselves or another, we really don't need their baggage. It isn't our jobs to help others unless they want help. If your job is counselling then there are things that we can do, like meditation, so that we don't get attached to the emotional problems of another. We can carry it if we don't take preventative steps to ensure that we don't get involved.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM

yes much to ponder

Old 09-27-2009, 11:04 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,000,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
This may sound cheesy but I watched Ben-Hur last night, one of my all time favorite movies. I am always moved about the testimony of this film with it's pure simple message of the love of Christ as Judah says "takes the sword from my hand".
I tend to be heavy handed with people, co-workers more than anyone, any suggestions to be more like Christ at work when you are ready to strangle someone?
I get rather old testament.

1 Corinthians 13 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

For me, the thing that has transformed my heart is my belief in the gospel. Knowing that all people are loved by God, how can I do any less? I see them in the future tense, with all of their dross burned away in His refining fire. With all of the ego, fears, anger, etc. gone. I see them as being humbled by His magnificent unfailing love and I see them as brothers and sisters.

I cannot tell you how transformed my heart has been (and still being transformed, still gaining more love, those verses on what love is, getting stronger and stronger) since I discovered that Jesus is the saviour of the whole world. I'm not trying to bring another UR debate in this thread. But nothing else enlarged my heart more than truly understanding God's magnificent plan. I can't begin to tell you how much that "LOVE is..." verse has come to life in my heart. It's miraculous. There is no way I can deny this wonderful thing that has happened to me.

Welll again I'm not forcing the issue, just telling you what cured (and is curing daily) my weaknesses in this area. If you do not see what I see, (As far as all being saved) then the best advice I can give you is to keep a copy of those verses that I posted and study them. Ponder them constantly. And ask Father to strengthen you in this area of your life.

Love is the most powerful thing in this universe.
Love conquers all.
Love conquers bad tempers, and the impatient.
God is LOVE.
Peace..

Old 09-27-2009, 11:04 AM

5,051 posts, read 1,734,054 times
I watched Ben Hur last night too . Well, as much as I could of it anyway.

I'm a big believer in prayer, seven. Jesus tells us to pray for our enemies, and Paul tells us to pray for the salvation of all men. When you are praying for someone on a regular basis, praying for opportunities to show God's love to them, it is amazing the changes God works in your heart toward them. Pray for your co-workers with joyful anticipation of how God will work in you and in the situation.

Ps. I'm so glad you asked this question. It was something I very much needed a reminder of just now!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I watched Ben Hur last night too . Well, as much as I could of it anyway.

I'm a big believer in prayer, seven. Jesus tells us to pray for our enemies, and Paul tells us to pray for the salvation of all men. When you are praying for someone on a regular basis, praying for opportunities to show God's love to them, it is amazing the changes God works in your heart toward them. Pray for your co-workers with joyful anticipation of how God will work in you and in the situation.
Excellent advice!!
I'm so glad you posted that, Pleroo.
Praying for someone definitely makes the bitterness drop off of you and puts your heart in the right place. It just stops that anger dead in it's tracks. So powerful!

Love your Enemies. This sermon was a great stepping stone on my path and I try to share it wherever I can:

Loving Your Enemies, a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:05 PM

5,051 posts, read 1,734,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Love your Enemies. This sermon was a great stepping stone on my path and I try to share it wherever I can:

Loving Your Enemies, a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wow. Just... wow.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Wow. Just... wow.
I know. Powerful, isn't it?
"Love your enemies."
This, for me was truly the start of a wonderful new journey with our Father.

I could quote the whole thing. But here is one tidbit:

Quote:
Another way that you love your enemy is this: When the opportunity presents itself for you to defeat your enemy, that is the time which you must not do it. There will come a time, in many instances, when the person who hates you most, the person who has misused you most, the person who has gossiped about you most, the person who has spread false rumors about you most, there will come a time when you will have an opportunity to defeat that person. It might be in terms of a recommendation for a job; it might be in terms of helping that person to make some move in life. That's the time you must not do it. That is the meaning of love. In the final analysis, love is not this sentimental something that we talk about. It's not merely an emotional something. Love is creative, understanding goodwill for all men. It is the refusal to defeat any individual. When you rise to the level of love, of its great beauty and power, you seek only to defeat evil systems. Individuals who happen to be caught up in that system, you love, but you seek to defeat the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity