U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:42 AM

597 posts, read 1,107,595 times

Advertisements

....for the way the world is getting more and more immoral and away from the Bible? And why? I read this topic on another board and I thought that this would be an interesting topic to discuss on this forum. The reason I say yeah, is because the way that they promote that a person has to be "perfect" in their standards. Meaning that they have to have perfect features on their face, perfect body, hair, etc.... It is like we are to primarily all alike. And if we do not have that "perfect" image (as they see it) sadly then some feel like that they have to do whatever it takes to look that way. Also A LOT of the stuff that hollywood shows on TV today is not like it was "yesteryear". This is just my opinion on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,131,452 times
It' all in how you interpret it. I see them as doing their job. Just like a waiter, salesman, CEO, whatever. You have to look and dress the part. It means nothing unless you want to take on the role of another.
Those who blow things out of context are not comfortable with themselves.
Sure, actors are fit and beautiful but when you take the glam away, they are no different than anyone else. They have the same baggage, same facial flaws, same problems losing or gaining weight, whatever.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:55 AM

597 posts, read 1,107,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It' all in how you interpret it. I see them as doing their job. Just like a waiter, salesman, CEO, whatever. You have to look and dress the part.
When discussing this with my best friend this is pretty much her answer (she is Christian as well). I agree with this bart but I just see how so many teens and adults want to change their apperence just to look like hollywood (example get huge boobs or a nose job). And a lot of men expect women to look like "hollywood", this is why I don't date because I refuse to get a nose job or have a triple ddd breast...blah blah blah. A great example of what I am saying is take that "octomom" she said that she wanted to look like Angelina Jolie. That is so sad because little miss "octomom" was not put on this earth to BE Angelina Jolie. Octomom was put on this earth to be "octomom", period!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:20 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,580,552 times

Look up "Dove commercial Onslaught" on youtube. (warning video may be slightly... graphic. But the message is important to keep in mind, esp. if you are a parent of a young daughter.)

While I think Dove is of course, also just trying to get sales. The message is still true. Onslaught. This video is appropriately titled.

This is what is pounded into people's heads. It's all about money and greed. It's all about sales. It truly is. "You're not good enough... you need this... or you need that...". You can never be happy with yourself, you need to constantly consume. Constantly buy. It's all about sales.

This world is fallen. The media (the majority, anyway) is so spiritually bankrupt that all they can do is focus on the temporal things that have NO meaning. You either are going to entertain the foolishness of this world, or you are going to reject it. I reject it. It did a lot of damage to me when I was still "of this world" so to speak. But now it is absolutely impotent, has no power over me whatsoever. This is something that He has helped me to conquer. I see the truth. I see the foolishness.

Unfortunately many, many young people are easy prey. The images and the ideas, that are so skewed and so false, and so foolish can sink into their minds and grab hold.

The media is FULL of foolishness.
You have the power to overcome it and reject it's message.

And YES, it is part of the problem. But I see these people (media) as slaves. I am free. What? Should I put the leg irons back on? No way.
I have been set free from the foolishness of this world.

Hope that made sense.
Peace..

Last edited by .sparrow.; 09-27-2009 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 05:53 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,813,795 times
No offense 04glow...but the Bible itself is an immoral book! When you take out all the nice sugary things that Jesus talked about you have a lot of immorality all sanctioned by god. Don't worry about Hollywood. It is just entertainment.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04glow View Post
....for the way the world is getting more and more immoral and away from the Bible? And why? I read this topic on another board and I thought that this would be an interesting topic to discuss on this forum. The reason I say yeah, is because the way that they promote that a person has to be "perfect" in their standards. Meaning that they have to have perfect features on their face, perfect body, hair, etc.... It is like we are to primarily all alike. And if we do not have that "perfect" image (as they see it) sadly then some feel like that they have to do whatever it takes to look that way. Also A LOT of the stuff that hollywood shows on TV today is not like it was "yesteryear". This is just my opinion on the matter.
That's the question. Does culture follow Hollywood or does Hollywood follow culture. I say both but there is no doubt that man is becoming more immoral.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:08 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
No offense 04glow...but the Bible itself is an immoral book! When you take out all the nice sugary things that Jesus talked about you have a lot of immorality all sanctioned by god. Don't worry about Hollywood. It is just entertainment.
Well you have a logical problem. If there is a God and He sets the standard as you are the creation then you can't know immorality unless He tells you and even though you believe to know what is immoral then by what right or authority can you question the Creator? if you have no authority then you cannot deem something to be right or wrong.

If you create clay pots and then decide to break them can your clay pots jump at you and tell you that you are immoral for breaking them? If your claypots did then do your claypots have more wisdom than you?

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 09-29-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,088,507 times
The problem isnt Hollywood per se, its technology and its advancements. Televisions, Ipods, internet connected computers, cell phones with cameras on them, and the motherload of services you can hook up to those devices are to blame. Think about it. Would your friend want a boob job if she wasnt glued to MTV all day on her giant flatscreen television watching some retarded update for Jessica Simpson's divorce hearing part 5? Probably not. As soon as you shut off what gives "Hollywood" its power, people stop caring.

I personally hate cable television and will never own it. Its one giant advertisement after another pushing things you dont need down your throat in the name of greed, lust, and pride. The internet is another thing that is to blame. We can now, in real time, watch something as meaningless and stupid as what Paris Hilton is feeding her dog via twitter. There at any time will be about two million people watching her type that crap out via a program like Twitter. Why are people this stupid and obsessed over something so trivial? The technology will only get worse by the way...or I guess better depending on how you look at it. The solution by the way is quite simple, and money saving I might add. You dont need the internet, cable, or a cell phone for that matter. Outside of the elderly or very special circumstances I can understand the cell phone but most people are just conveniency slaves. Shut that crap off and watch how your mind cleans up and finds new things to focus on. I would at the very least recommend no cable television...its probably the worst offender but being slowly killed off by the internet.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:30 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,580,552 times
Jason, I agree. People can really become enslaved to technology.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 AM

2,345 posts, read 3,813,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Well you have a logical problem. If there is a God and He sets the standard as you are the creation then you can't know immorality unless He tells you and even though you believe to know what is immoral then by what right or authority can you question the Creator? if you have no authority then you cannot deem something to be right or wrong.

If you create clay pots and then decide to break them can your clay pots jump at you and tell you that you are immoral for breaking them? If your claypots did then do your claypots have more wisdom than you?

Clay pots do not have flesh, blood, brainwaves, feelings or anything else that is human. This is the dumbest analogy that religious folks use. How sad that you guys think humans are worthless pots that can be disposed of so easily.

Let me add this to stay on topic. Hollywood is terrible but not to blame. People are people. There was a lot of this stuff going on a long time ago. There's a lot more people on the earth now. More people to engage in all the "immorality".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or