U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:21 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I hear ya Thrillobyte, and to be honest I'm not sure how many URers believe in the pre-trib rapture/7-year tribulation thing. I don't anymore.

I was big into that after 911 happened, I started reading the whole Left Behind series, figuring it was going to happen probably exactly like Tim LaHaye wrote. Later on I realized it was just fiction, and the scripture ties were tenuous at best. But most of this I realized after I learnt about UR, because then I felt the need to research it all myself, as opposed to trusting the Tim LaHaye's of the world.

Its just another form of peddling fear, and fear sells, which means $$$$ for someone.
Nah I will let you have it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 12:24 PM

10,179 posts, read 10,541,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
btw the way you speak, you sound as if you would not believe any longer in everlasting torment? - is my impression right?

I don't know up from down or right from left on the issue, sven. I've read so much scripture that supports both sides so convincingly that I've just gone neutral on it---that's why I never comment on the topic anymore. If I don't know what in the h3ll I'm talking about, then there's no point in proffering an uneducated opinion.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I don't know up from down or right from left on the issue, sven. I've read so much scripture that supports both sides so convincingly that I've just gone neutral on it---that's why I never comment on the topic anymore. If I don't know what in the h3ll I'm talking about, then there's no point in proffering an uneducated opinion.
No offense but your threads do not look neutral.

Curious...when you share your faith, what will be your gospel message if you are neutral?

Old 09-30-2009, 12:42 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,403,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Nah I will let you have it
LOL I quickly read your first response. Anyway let me explain the $$$$ comment - I was referring to Tim LaHaye, who has admittedly done very well for himself with the Left Behind franchise. I don't fault him for it. But people buy it up - fear sells.

Of course there are some mega-churches that are into mega-$$$$ as well.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
LOL I quickly read your first response. Anyway let me explain the $$$$ comment - I was referring to Tim LaHaye, who has admittedly done very well for himself with the Left Behind franchise. I don't fault him for it. But people buy it up - fear sells.

I thought Lehahey was a universalist? Mega churches do not preach about hell or sin.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:10 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,403,926 times
Quote:
I thought Lehahey was a universalist?
LOL No I don't think so.

Have you read any of the Left Behind series?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
No offense but your threads do not look neutral.
This thread makes me look positively UR. But my previous threads made me look ET. Truly that is the sign of a schizophrenic. I don't deny it. I could probably carry on a debate with myself and make it sound like William F. Buckley vs Gore Vidal.

Quote:
Curious...when you share your faith, what will be your gospel message if you are neutral?
One thing you can take to the bank...I will NOT touch ET or UR.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Boy, does it ever! Here's how Jill Carroll puts it so eloquently, something I lack the ability to do with my shoot-from-the-hip style of prose.

Quote:
Tim LaHaye has made millions with his books, confusing fiction with fact, and which are so popular among the religious right. LaHaye even gives tours of the Middle East, pointing out places he expects to be sites of future battles with evil. And his wife has long been a well financed leader of the more extreme elements of the religious right. This is red meat stuff for hard core Christian conservatives. They fervently believe it and, worse, seem to be doing all they can to make the Apocalypse reality.

History is full of these people. I'm just sorry they are living so well thanks to the generosity of the poor folks who actually listen to them.In the end, I believe they will all be proven completely wrong, of course.
Quote:
That's the new Christian paradigm:

"Small is for chumps. Mega is where it's at because that's how you get rich in this racket", said the tall, well-coiffured, prim and preened pastor of the latest 20,000 member mega-church to open its doors. His personal assistant, holding the sermon notes that had been carefully emblazoned on the pulpit teleprompter, nodded enthusiastically.

Inside, the pews were filled to capacity with handsome, successful families from the most upscale areas of the city--white, Anglo-Saxon, dressed in $1000 business suits and formals, their three & four children decked out in the finest Armani-for-kids apparel, waiting eagerly to have their itching ears scratched for an hour by the movie-star good-looking pastor with the golden smile who could spin a biblical phrase like Mozart could spin a symphony.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 09-30-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or