U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,456,235 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Can you defend the gospel rightly, scripturally with knowledge when its under attack? Before you say, well that is really not needed or that is not one my callings as a Christian.

(1 Peter 3:15)
15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect

(2 Corinthians 10:5)
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

(Titus 1:9)
He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.



YouTube - "Does God exist?" -- Social campaign on education (TV commerc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
Reputation: 4461
I prefer to follow Christ's example - He had all the proof He needed within Himself. When asked, He would turn the question around and confront them with their lack. This allowed Him an inroad to their need.

If it was an accusational query (as in Pilate's case), He didn't bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,456,235 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I prefer to follow Christ's example - He had all the proof He needed within Himself. When asked, He would turn the question around and confront them with their lack. This allowed Him an inroad to their need.

If it was an accusational query (as in Pilate's case), He didn't bother.
I thought Jesus was debating the men at the temple when He was a boy? Can you actually Jesus infront of Pilate as an example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I thought Jesus was debating the men at the temple when He was a boy? As far as Pilate, Jesus was through talking by then, wasn't He?
I suppose debating things of God is something He did do, but there's a thin line between debating and defending yourself; Jesus - to my knowledge - never defended Himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,456,235 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I suppose debating things of God is something He did do, but there's a thin line between debating and defending yourself; Jesus - to my knowledge - never defended Himself.
Defending the "gospel" not one self. Jesus constantly did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2009, 11:32 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Defending the "gospel" not one self. Jesus constantly did this.
True, but I interpreted the question as proofing that God exists. Jesus was the proof, and that was that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2009, 01:08 PM
 
435 posts, read 1,048,859 times
Reputation: 330
Lets be honest faith from a more general point of view is a wild goose chase, it is blind. From the outside Christianity asks of you to go against the norm. It is a hundred and eighty degree change in normal thinking and perception. Now you then try and bring scripture into the defending Christianity and you are just complicating matters more. This being said however does not mean that we do not spread His Word, but rather introduces an all too important angle to this thread, and that is we do not rely on our understanding of scripture nor our eloquence but Christ Himself working through us. It is after all He who saves. And as he says this is all like planting a seed. If the ground was okay to receive the seed then yes you will get a conviction of the soul. And Vice versa. I have always believed that being convinced by Christianity and the conviction of the soul to be a personal and progressive process. Many contribute to this. Rarelly a single argument is enough. It is more about the right ingredients, rather than just a compelling argument. And sensitivity to what role or angle you should take in His service here is key. That is my view on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2009, 01:28 PM
 
2,058 posts, read 4,314,744 times
Reputation: 1827
Quite frankly, I cannot understand how any intelligent human being, with any sense of logic could believe the Bible is the word of God. No way a perfect God could author such an inperfect and flawed book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2009, 01:50 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,543 posts, read 11,561,355 times
Reputation: 4461
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Quite frankly, I cannot understand how any intelligent human being, with any sense of logic could believe the Bible is the word of God. No way a perfect God could author such an inperfect and flawed book.
We can debate how much man has handled it, but because God is spirit, it must be read with understanding given by Him. With this in mind, the message will not change - though controversy regarding its content will increasingly rage as the ages progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2009, 04:50 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,110,748 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
We can debate how much man has handled it, but because God is spirit, it must be read with understanding given by Him. With this in mind, the message will not change - though controversy regarding its content will increasingly rage as the ages progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top