U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:00 PM

17 posts, read 77,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
And why is that?

I answered your post as honest as I could. What the heck did you expect to hear? After this response, I wonder.....

Could it be you are so unsatisfied with your relationship with God and His Son that you take it out on everyone else? Really?? Time to get honest, as you are not keeping secrets from God.

Nope just hoping that my little brother has not totally lost his way and confused his path with a clearcutter.

I pray that you have safe journey home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 04:04 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,314,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

And why should I have to believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ?
J
"should"?
Hmmm, I dont know if I have used that word with you personally.
If I have?, then I think I regret that as it seems a bit forward of me to say such a thing to a total stranger.

Im not really going to run around and tell you what I think you should and should not believe in...
(That sounds like a topic for another time if you ask me.)

But what I can tell you is what I believe the Bible teaches you can expect, "should" you believe
and what you can expect "should" you not believe.

The rest is kinda up to you as my hands are tied at that point....
Im clean of any blood, but none the less tied from making your decisions for you.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM

8,561 posts, read 13,900,841 times
Originally Posted by alanMolstad
Quote:
"should"?
Hmmm, I dont know if I have used that word with you personally.
Oops.
Sorry, my bad; I've mistakenly assumed that you were also the author of http://www.city-data.com/forum/11009229-post52.html where twin.spin declared that Christians should at least believe in 2 dogmas; the trinity and that Jesus = God.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 PM

8,989 posts, read 11,908,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad Oops.
Sorry, my bad; I've mistakenly assumed that you were also the author of http://www.city-data.com/forum/11009229-post52.html where twin.spin declared that Christians should at least believe in 2 dogmas; the trinity and that Jesus = God.
I don't know about all of Trinity but some yes and as far as Jesus being God? Read 1st John.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
Quote:
I don't know about all of Trinity but some yes and as far as Jesus being God? Read 1st John.
It is totally irrelevant to me whether Jesus is, or is not God.
I don't even care if Jesus had truly existed at all; I only know that his philosophy, his way of life, truly speaks to me.
So far following this path has worked for me, even when it never was easy since I rarely have company because most people do not share my philosophy.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalistIt is totally irrelevant to me whether Jesus is, or is not God.
I don't even care if Jesus had truly existed at all; I only know that his philosophy, his way of life, truly speaks to me.
So far following this path has worked for me, even when it never was easy since I rarely have company because most people do not share my philosophy.
Of course it does. God's way is wisdom. That is one of the benefits of Jesus coming to save you

Old 10-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fundamentalist
Quote:
Of course it does. God's way is wisdom.
Be that as it may, but gaining wisdom isn't always easy.
Nor is it self-evident.
In my experience the gaining of wisdom 9 out of 10 times happens after a (deep) crisis of faith where one is thrown upon himself and quite literally forced to make a very individual choice.
I guess you could say that my faith is only strengthened by (self) doubt.
And you have to be strong-willed whenever your opinion deviates from the masses.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist Be that as it may, but gaining wisdom isn't always easy.
Nor is it self-evident.
In my experience the gaining of wisdom 9 out of 10 times happens after a (deep) crisis of faith where one is thrown upon himself and quite literally forced to make a very individual choice.
I guess you could say that my faith is only strengthened by (self) doubt.
And you have to be strong-willed whenever your opinion deviates from the masses.
Wisdom I am talking about is God's. We Christians have wisdom because we borrow God's wisdom

Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,523,429 times
'So, am I or am I not a Christian? '

REPLY: The clearest scripture on how to become a real Christian and know for sure youre going to heaven if you died tonight, is : Romans 10:8-12 . Doing what is described in this scripture MUST be very heartfelt as God knows our heart whether we are sincere or not. If you do as this scripture says, then you can have the assurance of being Saved . Then, the EVIDENCE that you were in fact sincere , would be WHAT you do with your life from this point forward...and HOW you serve The Lord and others . If you were sincere , then a real heart-change takes place as you grow in the knowledge of God and desire to love and serve him ...and it is evidenced in the fruit that is produced in your life (or, the lack thereof) . So, the equation looks like this : Faith (trust) in Christs finished work on the cross for you PLUS nothing = Saved from Sins PLUS many good works.

Since this life is so very short, youll want to review the scripture i listed above, choose to sincerely do as it instructs, then ask God to give you his power to live the Christian Life in service to Him and Others. To really help you on this new and exciting journey, youll want to obey The Bible in your life which includes finding a good healthy well balanced local Church where you can grow in God and enjoy the friendship and love of other fellow Believers. God bless you as you secure where you will spend all of eternity ....which is WITH God IF you have had your many sins completely forgiven. There is no other way to Heaven. (For the person out in the jungle who hasnt heard of Christ, if he admits there is a loving almighty Creator from what he can see from Creation...then God will get the message of Christ to him somehow so he can recieve Salvation. God is faithful to all who earnestly seek him for he wishes no one to be eternally lost). Regards.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 PM

18,184 posts, read 13,898,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstadThe problem is not what I hear what the Christian message is or should be, but that most Christians seemingly never doubt the fact that they could be wrong.
And I seriously doubt that the majority of modern-day Christians would recognise Jesus if he stood in front of them staring them right in the face.

Besidez, how can a person who never even heard of Jesus believe in the resurrection of a person he has no knowledge about?
Isn't this the reason why in the Middle Ages Christianity forcefully converted (read: tortured) heathens into becoming Christian?
All for their own good of course.

And why should I have to believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ?
Just so I'll be saved from hell?
Isn't that a selfish reason?
1 Corinthians 15:13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14) and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, you faith also is vain. 17) And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18) Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19) If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.

Does that answer your question?

FYI what I hear Jesus say is to help and love others and not divide people in heathens and Christians (or judge people to be true or false Christians).[/quote]

Read Matthew 10:34-40
and Luke 12:49-53

Christ divides men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity