U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:07 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,112,123 times

Advertisements

Can everyone agree that God, in the Old and New Testament delivered punishment . . . in many forms. God is the same today as he was yesterday, right???

Now, I am neither an ETer or UR . . . but if we look at scripture closely, and with an open mind . . . it is simple to see that although God is love, God is compassion, God is Light, and God loves us so much . . . he also can deliver an amazing punch . . . . Floods, Locusts, Pestilence, Fire, Hail, Turns a Woman to Salt for disobeying . . .

Here's some examples of the Punch he Packs:

The Old Testament claims that God damned the entire human race because of the acts of the first two people He caused a worldwide Flood that drowned pregnant women, innocent children, and animals. He killed Egyptian babies at the time of the Passover.

The New Testament states that God required the torture and murder of his own son .

After bringing the Israelites out of captivity in Egypt, he ordered them to attack King Sihon of Heshbon. So the Israelites "put to death everyone in the cities, men, women, and dependents" and "left no survivor."

God then told them to do the same to King Og of Bashan. The Israelites therefore "slaughtered them and left no survivor

In obedience to the Lord's commands, Joshua's army did likewise to many other cities. Ezekiel claims that God appointed men to punish Jerusalem for its "abominations." The Lord told them to "kill without pity; spare no one. Kill and destroy them all, old men and young, girls, little children and women. . .

The book of Revelation states , four angels and their cavalry of 200 million will go forth to slay a third of mankind.

The book of Revelation states that one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse will be given power over a quarter of the earth, including power to kill by pestilence.[44]

The book of Lamentations describes one of God's famines by saying "children and infants faint in the streets . . . and cry to their mothers." We are also told "they faint like wounded things . . . gasping out their lives. . .

What did He do to Sodom and Gomorrah when he was pissed???????

Similar punishment was dealt to two of Aaron's sons, who presented "illicit fire" before the Lord. In response: "Fire came out from before the Lord and destroyed them; and so they died in the presence of the Lord

The book of Jude claims that Sodom, Gomorrah, and the neighboring towns are already being punished in eternal fire as an example for all to see.

We've had threads that ask can you love a God who tortures people eternally.

[color="Indigo"]We have a Bible, filled with many examples of Love and also with examples of how big of a punch the big GUY can pack!!!!!!!!![/COLOR]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:11 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,415,429 times
Yes God does pack a punch. He put us all in this crazy world, and He knew what He was doing!

Just another example where God packed a punch: look at Saul on the road to Damascus.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes God does pack a punch. He put us all in this crazy world, and He knew what He was doing!

Just another example where God packed a punch: look at Saul on the road to Damascus.
Yeah, that was a good punch, love what he did to Saul.

But let's not forge the woman who looked, probably instinctively as a mother who had some children left in a city that was being destroyed . . . and now she is a block of salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:54 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,415,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Yeah, that was a good punch, love what he did to Saul.

But let's not forge the woman who looked, probably instinctively as a mother who had some children left in a city that was being destroyed . . . and now she is a block of salt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes turning someone into a pillar of salt is quite harsh. Yet I trust God did this for a good reason.

Even just look around in our natural world today. God created the universe. God forknew everything that would happen in the universe. He forknows it because He designed it to happen that way.

Now consider, God designed the universe in such a way that:
- earthquakes occur
- tsunamis occur
- droughts occur
- floods occur
- wars occur
- disease occurs
etc.

Clearly God is trying to tell us something!

Old 09-30-2009, 05:44 PM

Yes, He is.

From the perspective of the things which I wrote . . . what do you think he is trying to get across?? Like the famines, flood, etc?

We can write a book on his love and compassion . . . but yet, from HIS book, we can look at things and also see much more. What is the message?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:58 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,777,905 times
God is the same yesterday and today in that he he has a plan and he won`t deviate from it. He is not a human who changes his mind. He isn`t going to change his mind about the things he has preordained. The course of history will not be changed. I know some people will disagree with that because of some of the language that is used in the bible and certain emtotions that are attached to God in the bible. But the bible is very clear. God is not a man. God has preordained the beginning from the end. All punishment and suffering is for a purpose. You as a human with finite reasoning and finite knowledge may not be able to see it or understand it but God created for an express purpose. He does things for a reason and because it pleasures him. We should just have faith that ALL things work to the good of God. He is the creator, we are but merely the clay.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,402,797 times
Quote:
Yes, He is.

From the perspective of the things which I wrote . . . what do you think he is trying to get across?? Like the famines, flood, etc?

We can write a book on his love and compassion . . . but yet, from HIS book, we can look at things and also see much more. What is the message?
I don't necessarily think there is a message but all these things happen for a scientific reason. It has to do with the way the world is made to sustain life.

Every natural disaster has a reason. Fault lines move to release pressure which causes a flood in another area. Famines... not sure if I can really relate to famines considering I'm an American .... The earth rotates, spews fire, and changes in a way that aids it in continuing.

I contrast the making of the earth to the making of a man made dryer which needs fixing periodically, but still only last maybe 10 years. If God made the dryer it would maintain itself... He's good.
So if that keeps the earth inhabitable, I am all for it.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:17 PM

2,345 posts, read 3,819,645 times
Quote:
Can everyone agree that God, in the Old and New Testament delivered punishment . . . in many forms. God is the same today as he was yesterday, right???

Now, I am neither an ETer or UR . . . but if we look at scripture closely, and with an open mind . . . it is simple to see that although God is love, God is compassion, God is Light, and God loves us so much . . . he also can deliver an amazing punch . . . . Floods, Locusts, Pestilence, Fire, Hail, Turns a Woman to Salt for disobeying . . .

Here's some examples of the Punch he Packs:

The Old Testament claims that God damned the entire human race because of the acts of the first two people He caused a worldwide Flood that drowned pregnant women, innocent children, and animals. He killed Egyptian babies at the time of the Passover.

The New Testament states that God required the torture and murder of his own son .

After bringing the Israelites out of captivity in Egypt, he ordered them to attack King Sihon of Heshbon. So the Israelites "put to death everyone in the cities, men, women, and dependents" and "left no survivor."

God then told them to do the same to King Og of Bashan. The Israelites therefore "slaughtered them and left no survivor

In obedience to the Lord's commands, Joshua's army did likewise to many other cities. Ezekiel claims that God appointed men to punish Jerusalem for its "abominations." The Lord told them to "kill without pity; spare no one. Kill and destroy them all, old men and young, girls, little children and women. . .

The book of Revelation states , four angels and their cavalry of 200 million will go forth to slay a third of mankind.

The book of Revelation states that one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse will be given power over a quarter of the earth, including power to kill by pestilence.[44]

The book of Lamentations describes one of God's famines by saying "children and infants faint in the streets . . . and cry to their mothers." We are also told "they faint like wounded things . . . gasping out their lives. . .

What did He do to Sodom and Gomorrah when he was pissed???????

Similar punishment was dealt to two of Aaron's sons, who presented "illicit fire" before the Lord. In response: "Fire came out from before the Lord and destroyed them; and so they died in the presence of the Lord

The book of Jude claims that Sodom, Gomorrah, and the neighboring towns are already being punished in eternal fire as an example for all to see.

We've had threads that ask can you love a God who tortures people eternally.

[color="Indigo"]We have a Bible, filled with many examples of Love and also with examples of how big of a punch the big GUY can pack!!!!!!!!![/COLOR]

Oh boy here we go. If a dad is beating the tar out of his kid I guess it would be cool to say "man that dad packs a punch!" Instead of "that guy is an abuser." I guess that is why I fled from this god. I abhor abusers.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,691,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh boy here we go. If a dad is beating the tar out of his kid I guess it would be cool to say "man that dad packs a punch!" Instead of "that guy is an abuser." I guess that is why I fled from this god. I abhor abusers.

Yep and I understand completely why you would. I found more abuse rationalized in the institution of religion than I care to remember and I moved forward.

Moving forward to a higher goal is what the OT story with Lot's wife is all about. OT writers take things that happened physically and applied a spiritual relationship to God through them.

Most miss that looking back on the past emotionalizing things that are gone can weaken our strength and cause depression and and other things

H4417 melach meh'-lakh
from H4414;
properly, powder, i.e. (specifically) salt (as easily pulverized and dissolved:--
salt((-pit)).

Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Yep and I understand completely why you would. I found more abuse rationalized in the institution of religion than I care to remember and I moved forward.

Moving forward to a higher goal is what the OT story with Lot's wife is all about. OT writers take things that happened physically and applied a spiritual relationship to God through them.

Most miss that looking back on the past emotionalizing things that are gone can weaken our strength and cause depression and and other things

H4417 melach meh'-lakh
from H4414;
properly, powder, i.e. (specifically) salt (as easily pulverized and dissolved:--
salt((-pit)).
I am not a member of following doctrine of an institutionalized religion at this time, nor am I referring to the teachings of a man made religion.

This comes straight from the bible.

It's there, it's plain and simply there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or