U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,813,330 times
Reputation: 701

Advertisements

Who gives any one person the right to sit back and say "Well I KNOW I am right and you are wrong"? All of you have the ability to take a scripture and spin it to what you want it to mean. That is part of the problem with "churches" and one of the thinks that turned me off to "church". Even the pastor at my old church used to say that he was pretty confident that the UPC was right BUT god was the ultimate judge and he could figure out on his own who was going to be judged faithful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,565,258 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Even the pastor at my old church used to say that he was pretty confident that the UPC was right BUT god was the ultimate judge and he could figure out on his own who was going to be judged faithful.
This "being doctrinally correct is all important" thing is just NUTS!!! Never mind (for instance) that the 'trinity' is never taught in scripture - but yet if you question it you are considered a hell bound heretic (even by some Christian universalists!!!).

If Jesus were physically here today I think He would take out a TV ad and tell all the fundies to get a grip. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
This "being doctrinally correct is all important" thing is just NUTS!!! Never mind (for instance) that the 'trinity' is never taught in scripture - but yet if you question it you are considered a hell bound heretic (even by some Christian universalists!!!).

If Jesus were physically here today I think He would take out a TV ad and tell all the fundies to get a grip. Seriously.
what about telling the liberals to tighten up and to become more serious! in stead of preaching sex God, jumping motorcycles over the preacher's head in church. there are some aspects of the Trinity that is essential for salvation like believing Jesus is God. God is very clear if you don't have the Son then you don't have the Father.

Read 1 John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,446,997 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
If Jesus were physically here today I think He would take out a TV ad and tell all the fundies to get a grip. Seriously.
Are you kidding me, that's not the problem with fundamentalist, we have a grip on scripture, sometimes to firm a grip. Fundamentalist can be stuffy, too regimented, too religious and at times legalistic. We tend to take the fun out of Christianity and it is something we constantly battle in our spirits but It is the liberals who need to get a grip, a firm grip. It is the liberals who allow homosexual clergy and say, well that is your interpretation of scripture. It is the liberals who play fast and loose in interpreting scripture so as not to offend anyone-allowing women pastors and say, well that was in those times and the bible is affected by sexism. At least many fundammentalist can see their weakness, their shortcoming, their pride/ sin. Can the liberals or are you going to keep throwing stones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Acts 4:13 "When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus".

Yes. But Jesus Christ is not presently physically on the earth. As time went on, the teachings of the Bible were perverted by for example, the Catholic Church. It required the reformation to begin to restore and recover the doctrines of the Bible and to begin to teach them. As it comes down to us now, we have seminarys for the purpose of training those who have the gift of pastor/teacher.

To think that the spiritual communication gift of pastor/teacher doesn't require training and learning on the part of the pastor is invalid.

2 Tim. 2:15 ''Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.''

That applies to all believers whether pastors or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes. But Jesus Christ is not presently physically on the earth. As time went on, the teachings of the Bible were perverted by for example, the Catholic Church. It required the reformation to begin to restore and recover the doctrines of the Bible and to begin to teach them. As it comes down to us now, we have seminarys for the purpose of training those who have the gift of pastor/teacher.

To think that the spiritual communication gift of pastor/teacher doesn't require training and learning on the part of the pastor is invalid.

2 Tim. 2:15 ''Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.''

That applies to all believers whether pastors or not.
The Canon of the bible itself which you hold so dear and true didn't even exist until Rome made Christianity the state religion and set it up as "The Roman Catholic Church" in the 3rd century AD ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
If non-denominational churches were "another denomination", then they would all believe and teach the same doctrine. They don't. Instead they have widely differing beliefs, practices, and doctrines, so they cannot be "another denomination". Call them another denomination if you want, but good luck convincing others about that...


Bud
Im sorry friend you are wrong ... My father was Baptist minister who taught all over the south, and There were different interpretations od doctrine even among the baptists Churches. And then he became Charismatic and the non-denom ... There are always differences of theology in just about every church ... And between just about every preacher regardless of denomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 PM
 
1,310 posts, read 2,639,688 times
Reputation: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A new Barna survey shows the sad state of those in the U.S. who consider themselves to be Christian.

1) Half of those who call themselves Christian don't believe in the existence of Satan.

2) Millions of so called Christians think that a person can do enough good works to earn eternal salvation. (This is a complete and absolute denial of what the Bible says. Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5)

3) And one third of those who think of themselves as Christian actually believe that Jesus sinned during His time on earth during His first Advent. But here is what the Bible says about that.

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

1 Peter 1:19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

1 John 3:5 ...and in Him there is no sin.

The majority of those who think of themselves as Christians are picking and choosing their beliefs and rejecting what they don't like. They are going so far as to combine the beliefs of Hinduism, Buddhism, and others with Biblical theology, or simply taking what they like from the Bible and discarding the rest.

We are living in 21st century post-Christian America. (America was never a Christian nation, but it was founded on Biblical principles.) But how many of those who think of themselves as Christian, in reality are not? And the reason for this sad state of affairs is the failure of pastors to fulfill their responsibility to teach the doctrines of the word of God to their congregations.

And how much longer before God judges this nation for its apostasy and perversions as He did Sodom and Gormorrah?

Here is the link to the article:

1 in 3 'Christians' says 'Jesus sinned'
Thanks for sharing these Barna Survey Results which are very shocking. It goes to show you that MANY are not Biblically grounded, they are without a truth Foundation, they are part of/ or believe in a toxic Faith, and/or they have let the present culture affect them so they believe in lies about God, Christ, Salvation, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 05:03 PM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The Canon of the bible itself which you hold so dear and true didn't even exist until Rome made Christianity the state religion and set it up as "The Roman Catholic Church" in the 3rd century AD ...
The books of the Bible were all completed before the end of the first century. The letters, the epistles, the Gospels, were all in circulation and being read. They simply were not all assembled into the collection that we have them today. God does things in His time. Not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,196,917 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The books of the Bible were all completed before the end of the first century. The letters, the epistles, the Gospels, were all in circulation and being read. They simply were not all assembled into the collection that we have them today. God does things in His time. Not ours.
I never said anything about when the letters were written. Im saying there were far more writings that the early Christians thought to be inspired that were not included in the canon we have today. The ones who set the canon were roman Catholics ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top