U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7415

Advertisements

A new Barna survey shows the sad state of those in the U.S. who consider themselves to be Christian.

1) Half of those who call themselves Christian don't believe in the existence of Satan.

2) Millions of so called Christians think that a person can do enough good works to earn eternal salvation. (This is a complete and absolute denial of what the Bible says. Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5)

3) And one third of those who think of themselves as Christian actually believe that Jesus sinned during His time on earth during His first Advent. But here is what the Bible says about that.

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

1 Peter 1:19 but with precious blood, as of a lamb unblemished and spotless, the blood of Christ.

1 John 3:5 ...and in Him there is no sin.

The majority of those who think of themselves as Christians are picking and choosing their beliefs and rejecting what they don't like. They are going so far as to combine the beliefs of Hinduism, Buddhism, and others with Biblical theology, or simply taking what they like from the Bible and discarding the rest.

We are living in 21st century post-Christian America. (America was never a Christian nation, but it was founded on Biblical principles.) But how many of those who think of themselves as Christian, in reality are not? And the reason for this sad state of affairs is the failure of pastors to fulfill their responsibility to teach the doctrines of the word of God to their congregations.

And how much longer before God judges this nation for its apostasy and perversions as He did Sodom and Gormorrah?

Here is the link to the article:

1 in 3 'Christians' says 'Jesus sinned'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
We are living in 21st century post-Christian America. (America was never a Christian nation, but it was founded on Biblical principles.) But how many of those who think of themselves as Christian, in reality are not? And the reason for this sad state of affairs is the failure of pastors to fulfill their responsibility to teach the doctrines of the word of God to their congregations.


Quote:
And how much longer before God judges this nation for its apostasy and perversions as He did Sodom and Gormorrah?
He has already, it is called homosexuality, Abortion, economic greed, violence etc..... God has turned us over to our desires. As that survey indicates about our churches not to mention what we see on the news, media etc... . Do you actually believe God is still blessing the U.S. or that God is still here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,823 posts, read 9,815,113 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A new Barna survey shows the sad state of those in the U.S. who consider themselves to be Christian.

1) Half of those who call themselves Christian don't believe in the existence of Satan.

2) Millions of so called Christians think that a person can do enough good works to earn eternal salvation. (This is a complete and absolute denial of what the Bible says. Eph. 2:8-9; Titus 3:5)

3) And one third of those who think of themselves as Christian actually believe that Jesus sinned during His time on earth during His first Advent. But here is what the Bible says about that.



The majority of those who think of themselves as Christians are picking and choosing their beliefs and rejecting what they don't like. They are going so far as to combine the beliefs of Hinduism, Buddhism, and others with Biblical theology, or simply taking what they like from the Bible and discarding the rest.

We are living in 21st century post-Christian America. (America was never a Christian nation, but it was founded on Biblical principles.) But how many of those who think of themselves as Christian, in reality are not? And the reason for this sad state of affairs is the failure of pastors to fulfill their responsibility to teach the doctrines of the word of God to their congregations.

And how much longer before God judges this nation for its apostasy and perversions as He did Sodom and Gormorrah?

Here is the link to the article:

1 in 3 'Christians' says 'Jesus sinned'
I know, its just beyond belief.
I was unaware of this, till I seen this on Fox (where else would it be broadcasted) so I googled it..."religious nones" (grew 138% since 1990). It is becoming the fastest growing "religions" in the US...the religion of no religion

Inside the News: Religious 'nones' on the rise in U.S.
"Mar 11, 2009 ... In addition to the "nones," there are many more who say they are affiliated with a religious brand but don't actively practice their faith. ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post




He has already, it is called homosexuality, Abortion, economic greed, violence etc..... God has turned us over to our desires. As that survey indicates about our churches not to mention what we see on the news, media etc... . Do you actually believe God is still blessing the U.S. or that God is still here?
It will continue to get much, much worse as time goes on if there is not a change in the attitudes of believers toward the word of God. But yes, you are correct, God is no longer blessing this country except in the sense that the country is still here. We are still the custodians of the Gospel. That is, this nation is still charged with dissemination of the Gospel in missionary activity through out the world. And so we are still a Client Nation to God, just as Israel was, even though they were under divine discipline.

There are five cycles of discipline by which God judges a nation. It is hard to say what stage we are in. The fifth cycle is total destruction of a nation. We are not quite there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,200,750 times
Reputation: 892
Wow, heretics talking about heresy .. How Ironic ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 03:58 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,200,750 times
Reputation: 892
Its funny how you guys(fundamentalists) talk about heresy and how anyone who doesn't believe the traditional authorities to which you subscribe are heretics. Its funny how you all talk about how most Christian theologians agree on your doctrine of eternal torture and the like, but then when it comes to the fact that the traditional authorities of the single most popular Christian denomination(Roman Catholicism) in the world which was the only form of Christianity for over a thousand years considers you to be heretics for your protestantism all the sudden your argument for traditional authority goes right out the window by your own admission. Again, very Ironic ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Its funny how you guys(fundamentalists) talk about heresy and how anyone who doesn't believe the traditional authorities to which you subscribe are heretics. Its funny how you all talk about how most Christian theologians agree on your doctrine of eternal torture and the like, but then when it comes to the fact that the traditional authorities of the single most popular Christian denomination(Roman Catholicism) in the world which was the only form of Christianity for over a thousand years considers you to be heretics for your protestantism all the sudden your argument for traditional authority goes right out the window by your own admission. Again, very Ironic ...
Ironic by the way you constructed your argument. That's beyond a straw-man. That is not our argument and who is for traditional authority? Have you read the protestant reformations? "5 solas" brotha'. and you sound alittle perturbed. Dude just preach the gospel and leave the history books home.

FYI....We think the Catholics are apostates too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM
 
7,374 posts, read 7,200,750 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Ironic by the way you constructed your argument. That's beyond a straw-man. That is not our argument and who is for traditional authority? Have you read the protestant reformations? "5 solas" brotha'. and you sound alittle perturbed. Dude just preach the gospel and leave the history books home.

FYI....We think the Catholics are apostates too.

IN order to understand the true Gospel you have to know your history friend. A strawman? I am not providing an argument at all, i said that its ironic how you guys think people who don't agree with your traditional fundamentalist teachings are heretics, while a far older tradition of doctrine from which protestants separated says the same thing about your not believing in their traditional orthodox teachings. Do you even know what a strawman is? Look it up ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 06:27 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,452,213 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
IN order to understand the true Gospel you have to know your history friend. A strawman? I am not providing an argument at all, i said that its ironic how you guys think people who don't agree with your traditional fundamentalist teachings are heretics, while a far older tradition of doctrine from which protestants separated says the same thing about your not believing in their traditional orthodox teachings. Do you even know what a strawman is? Look it up ...
that is the strawman. I don't argue about baptism, millianist, preterist, speaking in tongues, regeneration before repentance, once saved always saved, and so much more. These are non essentials which should not be wrangled over but the essentials is where we draw the line as far as labeling someone a heretic or abhorrent teacher.

So as you can see we don't wrangle over everything, calling them a heretic. So please stop exaggerating because it is not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Its funny how you guys(fundamentalists) talk about heresy and how anyone who doesn't believe the traditional authorities to which you subscribe are heretics. Its funny how you all talk about how most Christian theologians agree on your doctrine of eternal torture and the like, but then when it comes to the fact that the traditional authorities of the single most popular Christian denomination(Roman Catholicism) in the world which was the only form of Christianity for over a thousand years considers you to be heretics for your protestantism all the sudden your argument for traditional authority goes right out the window by your own admission. Again, very Ironic ...
The Roman Catholic church is apostate. It is false christianity and is the Mystery Babylon spoken of in Revelation. It is Satanic to the core and will be a part of the world religious system that manifests itself after the rapture of the true church. That is, the body of Believers in Christ. The true church is also called the bride of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top