U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,205,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(Continued from another thread)

Are you kidding me, that's not the problem with fundamentalist, we have a grip on scripture, sometimes to firm a grip. Fundamentalist can be stuffy, too regimented, too religious and at times legalistic. We tend to take the fun out of Christianity and it is something we constantly battle in our spirits but It is the liberals who need to get a grip, a firm grip. It is the liberals who allow homosexual clergy and say, well that is your interpretation of scripture. It is the liberals who play fast and loose in interpreting scripture so as not to offend anyone-allowing women pastors and say, well that was in those times and the bible is affected by sexism. At least many fundammentalist can see their weakness, their shortcoming, their pride/ sin. Can the liberals?

This led to me to ask, does everyone examine themselves and their denomination/ doctrine/ beliefs. What are the pitfalls of your beliefs?

Of course ... I was a fundamentalist all my life until about three years ago ... I started questioning my beliefs about 14 years ago ... How else do you learn the truth but by questioning and searching for answers even if it flys in the face of the "authorities" ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM

7,374 posts, read 7,205,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Can the conservatives? It is the conservatives that is making our country look bad. It is the conservatives that allowed our country to suffer through living hell for 8 years. It is the conservatives who cannot admit that they were wrong about their Republican president. It is the conservatives that want to go back to the good ol' days where women were still subservient to men and blacks were still slaves to the white. Please don't group everyone together just because you heard it on Fox news and make them into a stereotype. That's your personal pitfall right there

As for my beliefs, the pitfalls in it is that there is too much kindness and open-mindedness. I wouldn't mind digging into my sadistic side and spill someone's blood once in awhile
Oh yeah .. Sadism and hate and evil are all good unless you're the victim, and then you get all upset about it ...

Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM

435 posts, read 1,048,859 times
Afternoon everyone. Now the whole fundamental vs liberal debate is a no win. It is just not simple. Too many angles. Personally i am more pro fundamentalist or orthodox, as I ve always called it. The only problem is even the most fundamental christian out there do not leave up to these standards. Nope. We always fall short somewhere somehow. However the liberals on the other hand! Oh boy, Well, no comments. Anyway what was I trying to say, oh yes, both sides have their problems, it's difficult to say one side is better than the other.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:17 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,220,101 times
Quote:
What are the pitfalls of your beliefs?
None,absolutely none since I came out of religion with all its manmade rules, rituals, and fears..

Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,457,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
None,absolutely none since I came out of religion with all its manmade rules, rituals, and fears..
We all are fallen Miss Blue and we all have pitfalls. By getting out of "religion" you have made your own rules, rituals etc....

Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,770,658 times
I don't know if I could call them "pitfalls", but here goes:

1. You have to be married to have children.
2. Sex after marriage.
3. No taking in of alcohol (or going to places that serve alcohol...i.e. bars and clubs).
4. No taking in drugs/narcotics.

But I'm more of an Evangelical type of Christian (non-denominational). But these are some things not to do in that type of Christianity. But no one is perfect, you know. God is forgiving of any kind of sin or trouble your life has dealt with...That's all I have to say on that...

Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM

5,925 posts, read 5,687,516 times
Quote:
We all are fallen Miss Blue and we all have pitfalls. By getting out of religion you have made your own rules, rituals etc....
Well, first of all, you asked what are the pitfalls of our beliefs which is a different point than whether personally we have faults.

There are no pitfalls to what I believe, why would there be? Or one might ask, what would you consider a pitfall?

Coming out of religion has allowed me to get closer to God by focusing upon him rather than whether I am pleasing the organized church and the self proclaimed leaders with in it.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM

30,255 posts, read 20,007,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Yea He takes us out of Egypt (the organized system) then takes Egypt out of us.
Coming from underneath the rule of Egypt is the beginning of it .

Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM

37,573 posts, read 25,275,797 times
Quote:
We all are fallen Miss Blue and we all have pitfalls. By getting out of "religion" you have made your own rules, rituals etc....
She has left all the pitfalls and stumbling blocks of religious doctrine behind and follows the Holy Spirit within.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM

13,466 posts, read 21,220,101 times
Quote:
We all are fallen Miss Blue and we all have pitfalls. By getting out of religion you have made your own rules, rituals etc....
What rules and rituals of mine are you talking about
Yes , I have many "pitfalls" because I am flesh and blood..But by the grace of God He forgives me and allows me to understand, sympathize and still find love in myself for less fortunate ones who are still struggling to find Him...through man's religion.

FYI, I am trying to find a group of the church to meet with, but so far He has not put me anywhere...Perhaps I am more blind than I am deaf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity