U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,224 posts, read 5,579,049 times
Reputation: 3801

Advertisements

I have been a member of the coc for many years and have never met anyone that has had the bad experiences with the church that I am hearing about on the board.

When I moved to Memphis I ran across many from the denominational world like southern baptist and various forms of pentecostals that where offended by the teachings of the coc. I would hear people say "y'all think y'all the only ones going to heaven" or "y'all don't believe in using musical instruments". Most of the negative comments come from people that have a misunderstanding of who the church is.

I cannot say for a fact that people haven't been hurt by the church but I do fing most of us are people who will admit that we aren't perfect but we do try to live by Gods word. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Redding, Ca
1,240 posts, read 1,022,611 times
Reputation: 119
Everyone has to at one point or another come to terms with what they believe in.
Be it in the COC, Baptists, Mormons or any other belief.

There is always a set of circumstances that causes us to question our belief?

It is my belief that the reason that happens is because God wants us to search Him out in a deeper sense, than just going through the motions of church.

Blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: On the Edge of the Fringe
4,638 posts, read 3,731,822 times
Reputation: 3894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Doesn't matter what "church" does this... it is wrong. There are COC's who have probably done this. Just as there are other churches that have probably done this. People are not perfect. If you find yourself in any situation as mentioned above, get out.

I, being a member of the COC for over 15 years do not agree with the above assessment. If I did, I would not be a member, obviously.

I would like to read the documents that say they were mistreated and abused, used fear and intimidation, and how they were deceptively recruited, from a mainstream COC. Thanks!

Check these out then please

Is the Church of Christ a Cult? Fundamentalists Anonymous - Helpful Links

Also
Reverend Leo Booth - Creating Healthy Spirituality, Spiritual Concepts

BUT keep in mind, I did quit because of things I observed and encountered, and fortunately, my experience was mild. (I was involved by marriage only)
I would welcome an opportunity to shre my veiws and experiences with you, via private forum, if you are willing to listen. As long as I am not pressured by you then you will not be pressured by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,792,181 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Check these out then please

Is the Church of Christ a Cult? Fundamentalists Anonymous - Helpful Links

Also
Reverend Leo Booth - Creating Healthy Spirituality, Spiritual Concepts

BUT keep in mind, I did quit because of things I observed and encountered, and fortunately, my experience was mild. (I was involved by marriage only)
I would welcome an opportunity to shre my veiws and experiences with you, via private forum, if you are willing to listen. As long as I am not pressured by you then you will not be pressured by me.
Is the COC a cult, they answered no. Plus, it's just someone's opinion of the church who has left it years ago. One person...you said many have documented and recorded all those things being done to them. That's what I wanted to see.

"I think many people have documented and reported how they have been known as elitists, how they mistreat and abuse followers, how they use fear and intimidation to maintain a flock and how they deceptively recruit members."

Ok, so let's see it.

Fundy's Anon and the other has nothing to do with showing me where it is recorded that people are mistreated and abused in the COC.

I would love to hear your story via PM. I do not believe in pressuring anyone, so you have no worries there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
 
241 posts, read 332,635 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Check these out then please

Is the Church of Christ a Cult? Fundamentalists Anonymous - Helpful Links

Also
Reverend Leo Booth - Creating Healthy Spirituality, Spiritual Concepts

BUT keep in mind, I did quit because of things I observed and encountered, and fortunately, my experience was mild. (I was involved by marriage only)
I would welcome an opportunity to shre my veiws and experiences with you, via private forum, if you are willing to listen. As long as I am not pressured by you then you will not be pressured by me.
These websites don't really mean anything to me, mainly the "Is The church of Christ a Cult". It only shows me that the bible is right about the things it says. People will not endure sound doctrine (2 Tim. 4:3-4). Just because people don't like what is said doesn't mean that it is not right. I'm quite sure that there are alot of people in the church of Christ who are not what they should be, but God will deal with them. There are alot of members who are just the opposite and I'm glad to know them. And if you say that some of these members of the church of Christ have cold hearts and they are wrong, then so are the people who are responsible for that "Is The Church of Christ A Cult" website. They sound the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
9,745 posts, read 13,657,685 times
Reputation: 14764
I grew up in the Church of Christ, and my father is currently a preacher for a small congregation. I certainly don't see them as a cult any more than many other churches. In fact, from my conversations with a few Baptist friends I've had, our beliefs weren't that different. Granted, the ways we did differ were pretty important, but there weren't that many differences overall. I have always viewed the CoC as "cautious". The whole musical instruments issue is a good example of this. "We can't find any evidence of it in the New Testament, so even though it wasn't specifically forbidden we're going to play it safe and not use them." I can understand this reasoning, and to be honest I never missed having instruments in church. Of course, I grew up not hearing musical instruments in church, so my ears are probably biased. Some of the bold claims of "We're the only true church" and "No one else is going to Heaven", well, I was taught by my CoC parents to never say things like that. They said those are things that only God knows.

That being said, I am no longer a member of the CoC, not necessarily because of the denomination itself, but because I am no longer a member of any church.

So there you have it: an atheist semi-defending the CoC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,587 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Reputation: 9078
I think the whole "cult" thing comes from people getting calls or cards when they stop attending. I stopped attending for about 5 years myself and while that stuff was annoying at times I would not equate it to anything like a cult.

The biggest problem in the Churches of Christ or any church is that it is composed of imperfect people. Like individual people individual churches have strengths and weaknesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
 
8 posts, read 8,831 times
Reputation: 11
I have been a member of the coc since birth. I am now 35 yrs old and just starting to question the coc. I was taught that if I was not a member of the coc that I will go to hell, we are the chose ones, and the reason for not using instruments is b/c it was never mentioned in the New Testament. I can truely say that I am very confused. I have been attending a baptist church and I really like it. The teaching is the same from the bible. I have started to realized how we criticize other denominations. Everything is in the bible what is espected of us. God would have clearly said do not use instruments when worshiping. It does not say that anywhere. May main purpose at this point in my life is to prepare for my eternal life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,792,181 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcocmember View Post
I have been a member of the coc since birth. I am now 35 yrs old and just starting to question the coc. I was taught that if I was not a member of the coc that I will go to hell, we are the chose ones, and the reason for not using instruments is b/c it was never mentioned in the New Testament. I can truely say that I am very confused. I have been attending a baptist church and I really like it. The teaching is the same from the bible. I have started to realized how we criticize other denominations. Everything is in the bible what is espected of us. God would have clearly said do not use instruments when worshiping. It does not say that anywhere. May main purpose at this point in my life is to prepare for my eternal life.
It's ok to question. Do not ever just believe what you're told, study for yourself. Anyone who thinks you have to be a member of the "denomination" "Church of Christ" to go to heaven is flat wrong and a bit haughty if you ask me...and I'm a member of the COC.

While I don't believe instrumental music is wrong, I do not agree with you about God would have said do not use instruments when worshiping Him. Because then He would have had to list everything He didn't want done while worshiping Him...instead of just telling you how to worship. Understand? But anyway, I don't think instrumental music is sinful.

I hope you study for yourself. Do not listen to others in the COC, do not listen to those in the Baptist church. Listen to God and the scriptures alone. I wish you God speed in your search for the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
 
241 posts, read 332,635 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcocmember View Post
I have been a member of the coc since birth. I am now 35 yrs old and just starting to question the coc. I was taught that if I was not a member of the coc that I will go to hell, we are the chose ones, and the reason for not using instruments is b/c it was never mentioned in the New Testament. I can truely say that I am very confused. I have been attending a baptist church and I really like it. The teaching is the same from the bible. I have started to realized how we criticize other denominations. Everything is in the bible what is espected of us. God would have clearly said do not use instruments when worshiping. It does not say that anywhere. May main purpose at this point in my life is to prepare for my eternal life.
I've been a member of the COC for about 11 years now and most of what I have been taught is supported by scripture. We have to understand that we must be where God placed salvation, he didn't put anywhere. All thru the OT, the Israelites had to go to Jerusalem to offer up sacrifices to God ACCEPTABLY. That was the only place that God told them to go. So with the instruments, it's the same way. It's not based on "better safe than sorry" but rather on doing what God said just like he said it. And there is alot other things on that subject. All we do is just like the bible tells us when it comes to salvation. Obey the gospel of Christ and he will add us to the church. Which church? The one that He said that he was going to build (Matt. 16:18; Eph. 5:23-27). And be faithful unto death (Rev.2:10). That's basically it. But as it has been said in this thread, you must study for yourself as well. Get all the information you can concerning some the things that you may be confused about. Be patient because it takes time and there is so much to know that you may not even get it all but get what you can. I hope I said something that might help you in some way or another. If you have any questions about anything, email me at coc91298@aol.com. If I don't know the answer, I will get it. May God continue to bless you and take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top