U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:43 PM

309 posts, read 437,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
I've been a member of the COC for about 11 years now and most of what I have been taught is supported by scripture. We have to understand that we must be where God placed salvation, he didn't put anywhere. All thru the OT, the Israelites had to go to Jerusalem to offer up sacrifices to God ACCEPTABLY. That was the only place that God told them to go. So with the instruments, it's the same way. It's not based on "better safe than sorry" but rather on doing what God said just like he said it. And there is alot other things on that subject. All we do is just like the bible tells us when it comes to salvation. Obey the gospel of Christ and he will add us to the church. Which church? The one that He said that he was going to build (Matt. 16:18; Eph. 5:23-27). And be faithful unto death (Rev.2:10). That's basically it. But as it has been said in this thread, you must study for yourself as well. Get all the information you can concerning some the things that you may be confused about. Be patient because it takes time and there is so much to know that you may not even get it all but get what you can. I hope I said something that might help you in some way or another. If you have any questions about anything, email me at coc91298@aol.com. If I don't know the answer, I will get it. May God continue to bless you and take care.
I attend a Freewill Baptist as well as a Pentecostal church and everything they teach is supported by scripture there also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM

241 posts, read 332,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I attend a Freewill Baptist as well as a Pentecostal church and everything they teach is supported by scripture there also.
I said "most" of the things that I have been taught is supported by scripture, not everything. I don't agree with everything that is taught in the COC and some of the things are not supported by scripture.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,797,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
I said "most" of the things that I have been taught is supported by scripture, not everything. I don't agree with everything that is taught in the COC and some of the things are not supported by scripture.
Excellent point. No church is perfect, as it is made up of imperfect people.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 8,834 times
Well, I am realizing that now! Instead being happy being a member of the coc. I realized how fearful I was when I visited a baptist church. Those people were singing, clapping, rejoicing, smiling, and having a wonderful time worshiping GOD and learning the GOSPEL. Including me...When I went back to my church I ask a few members. If we are in the right church. Why aren't we rejoicing everytime we come together. The members do not really want to sing, no smiles, people are falling asleep in church. My 15 year old son said to me " mom I would like to get baptised but I am afraid to. Because I don't know if I can live a life with out sin." My response was to him being a christian is a journey and not a destination on earth. All we can do is strive daily. I realized at that moment my son feels, how I have felt my entire life. My mother chose being a member of the church of christ for me as a child. Now have to choose.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:08 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,797,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcocmember View Post
Well, I am realizing that now! Instead being happy being a member of the coc. I realized how fearful I was when I visited a baptist church. Those people were singing, clapping, rejoicing, smiling, and having a wonderful time worshiping GOD and learning the GOSPEL. Including me...When I went back to my church I ask a few members. If we are in the right church. Why aren't we rejoicing everytime we come together. The members do not really want to sing, no smiles, people are falling asleep in church. My 15 year old son said to me " mom I would like to get baptised but I am afraid to. Because I don't know if I can live a life with out sin." My response was to him being a christian is a journey and not a destination on earth. All we can do is strive daily. I realized at that moment my son feels, how I have felt my entire life. My mother chose being a member of the church of christ for me as a child. Now have to choose.
Exactly! We must all decide for ourselves, not follow what elders say, or what our parents taught us, etc.

You're right about some congregations and their singing. I attended one for many years, and I would look around and think, why don't these people smile while singing praises to God? Then I started visiting around to other COC congregations and found it isn't that way everywhere. The one I visit now, it's very obvious they love the Lord and enjoy worshiping Him. I'm much happier there.

As for your 15 year old's view of being baptized, that's a shame, and I'm glad you finally taught him that no one is perfect.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

All your son, or any of us, can do is try our best. We will fail, but Christ is there to help us up and forgive us.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,024,455 times
Quote:
I commend you for the excellent advice you gave your son.
You see, you are being led to deeper truths by the comparisons, as a vehicle to growing spiritually.

If you continued to go along without comparing, then you would still be held to the same spiritual plane, without no growth.

The COC is just like any other church whose attempts are to keep their flock dependent on them.
The church that teaches freedom in Christ, is the one that allows you the freedom to go where ever you wish to better worship God.

Continue seeking, always holding to the sound foundation, that is Christ, and fear not what is out there in the world, for your faith is grounded in Jesus, and nothing will tear you away from Him.

Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

You are free, and nothing in this world, unless you again allow yourself to be in bondage, will hurt you.

Blessings, AJ

Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM

241 posts, read 332,997 times
Quote:
Keep this in mind. The bible teaches that there will be all kinds in the church (Matt. 13:47). And it also talks about God doing the separating those that are good, from those that are bad. Just make sure you are the good. If there are those who don't smile or show how they really love God, then that's a shame on their part and God will deal with them because we are to exhort and encourage one another. Don't let no one cause you to lose your salvation. You might have to be the Christian example for that congregation. We don't really know what to expect in the church. Some things we just have to deal with and I know that it isn't easy. I know how you feel brother. There have been times for me when I wanted to leave, but I understand that the church is right and that all congregations have problems so there isn't really nowhere to go. You just have to be strong. And as for your son, it's good that he wants to get baptized. I would let him. It's better to let him get baptized and deal with the problems or people in the church than to let him live a life of sin. God knows what you are going thru but He also knows that you are trying your best and He will help you. Sometimes God gives us the strength to deal with such problems instead of taking them away from us. That's where faith comes in. I can tell from your choice of words that you are a sincere and good-hearted person. I'm here for encouragement whenever you need it. Just remember Philippians 4:13.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM

9,602 posts, read 20,522,581 times
Quote:
Well, I am realizing that now! Instead being happy being a member of the coc. I realized how fearful I was when I visited a baptist church. Those people were singing, clapping, rejoicing, smiling, and having a wonderful time worshiping GOD and learning the GOSPEL. Including me...When I went back to my church I ask a few members. If we are in the right church. Why aren't we rejoicing everytime we come together. The members do not really want to sing, no smiles, people are falling asleep in church.
I think those are legit issue in many local CoCs, however I'd also caution against the Baptist Church as they hold several beliefs that blatantly contradict scripture. (see links below about 'Once saved always saved' and 'Zionism') Christian Churches and more liberal Churches of Christ are generally good on the doctrine stuff while being more willing to help the poor and be friendlier. Some CoC's are so 'sound' that they do nothing wrong instead of doing anything right (I'm a CoC member, yes that's harsh but sadly it is true of some congregations)

http://www.rmcoc.com/faq/faq2.htm
http://www.fwponline.cc/v19n1/v19n1switzki.html

Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 AM

4,664 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Is the COC a cult, they answered no. Plus, it's just someone's opinion of the church who has left it years ago. One person...you said many have documented and recorded all those things being done to them. That's what I wanted to see.

"I think many people have documented and reported how they have been known as elitists, how they mistreat and abuse followers, how they use fear and intimidation to maintain a flock and how they deceptively recruit members."

Ok, so let's see it.

Fundy's Anon and the other has nothing to do with showing me where it is recorded that people are mistreated and abused in the COC.

I would love to hear your story via PM. I do not believe in pressuring anyone, so you have no worries there.

I think the evidence IS there and is overwhelming. Read it and check out Fr Booth's Breaking the Chains.

As I mentioned before, the proverbial "Last Straw" I had in my brief (but too long) Dealings with a COC happened when I got an unsolicited phone call from a church "Elder" or "Deacon" (I honestly don't remember or care which he said he was) Who wanted to tell me not to attend a non-COC worship service I was attending. How this got to him, I don't know (Probably through the father in law from hell). And, I maintain to this day, that it was none of his business and he really had no right to bother me about it. I live in America, and he, his church, his religion, etc., have no authority to tell me, or anyone, how they can or cannot worship.
As posted before, the conversation got really ugly, he finally hung up on me, and I never stepped foot back in that (Or any other ) COC since.

I have recounted this story many times, and former members have told me of similar (But not identical ) experieces. I have had active members of the COC actually condone this guy's behavior; however, I have never ever, ever had a member of the COC come forward and say that this guy was out of line and he should not have done this. Which further reinforces the fact to me that the COC is an abusive and totalitarian movement, which tries to keep close tabs and restrict and censure it's members, case in point, this story. And in America, we have no place for that.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,894,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
I think people need to be careful when they say negative things of the church of Christ and call it a denomination. People in the religious world today think it is ok to go to whatever church suits them best. Friends there is only ONE church! The bible says there is one body (Eph. 4:4) and the body is the church (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18). There is only one church and which one is it? The one Jesus said he would build in Matt 16:18, "my church", in the singular. There is to be no divisions (1 Cor. 1:10-15) aka no denominations. Jesus adds you to the church of Christ (Acts 2:47) and that is the only place we can be added. What do I think of the church of (belonging to) Christ? It is the only church in the bible that was ever established and is the only church today. I do not understand why people think it is ok to go to some denomination that Jesus has no part of. Joseph Smith did not die for your sins, John Wesley did not sie for your sins, Alexander Campbell did not die for your sins, John Clavin, and so on. Jesus Christ did and so we best where His name (Rom. 16:16) because it is the only name whereby we can be saved (Acts 4:12) and no other name given by men will do friends. No one is saved unless they are "in Jesus Christ". That is where the grace is (Rom. 3:24) and baptism is how we get there (Gal 3:26-28) aka being added to the church (Acts2:38, 47) which is His body (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18).
Well, I agree that Jesus only personally established one Church but last I heard there were now well over 20,000 Protestant denominations that had splintered off of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or