U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:26 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,024,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

Unity through Division is NOT a New Testament principal and Jesus saying "I did not come to bring peace" has nothing to do with division among the believers.

Jesus says in John 17:20

"" Not for these only do I pray, but for those also who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that you sent me ""

^ Jesus even goes as far as saying that division among the believers makes it harder to believe that he was the Messiah!!

Paul also exhorts the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians 1:10...

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

First let's look at two distinct peoples, the Jews and the Gentiles.

Both divided by reason of God's choosing the Jews for His instruments.

The division was instituted so that Jesus would be offered by the Jews and the Gentiles in unison, thus covering the whole world in one sacrifice.

After Jesus died, the body of believers, being the church, is requested that they become as one in unity in the faith.

Divisions within the body of Christ are a means by which each one can learn to exercise their faith in Christ by living example.

Love of God in us is the primary ingredient in unity and is therefore encouraged as "the" exercise.

It is an "on the job training" in excercising God's love in us that we find unity.

For an example, lets say you were going to a particular church for a few years and found out that the preacher was earring in his teachings, would you remain there or would you split?

Guess what, you just divided your self from them in your desire to seek truth as God deals with you in heart.

A step up in your faith building path via the experience, yet, still being in the body of Christ.

Blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 PM

241 posts, read 333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcocmember View Post
Please ellaborate on the False Doctrine.
False doctrine or teachings come from the commandments of men (Matt. 15:9). Jesus even warned his disciples about it (Matt. 16:11-12). People tend to overlook false doctrine because they are taught mostly or alot of times on the principles of the love of God and how he has and does bless them. False doctrine MUST not be ignored. Since it is in the bible, then it should be taught. This is showing love one to another because you are showing your concern for their souls. When you look at all the different churches, everyone is teaching something different. So, then they cannot be all right. For example, (and not to be judgemental), the COC, Baptist, and many others teach that we come together to worship God on Sunday (first day of the week Acts 20:7), but there are the Seventh Day Adventists who say that we are to come together on Saturday (the Sabbath Day Ex. 31:16). Now how is God going to tell one group of people to worship him on one day, and tell another group of people to worship him on another day. God does not work like that. But people will continue to say it doesn't matter as long as your heart is right or something to that nature. But that kind of thinking does not and will not negate the fact that God will take false doctrine into account. It is not healthy for ones soul. Consider these scriptures; Rom. 16:17, Eph. 4:14, 1 Tim. 1:3; 4:16, 2 Tim. 4:3, and 2 Jn. 1:9-11. There are others also.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 PM

1Cr 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? Now you can worship God anywhere, anytime. For Christ now is your Sabbath rest. Blessings, AJ

Old 11-26-2009, 02:16 PM

191 posts, read 210,051 times
I may add, we are suppose to follow the bible...Jesus said be an example for others as I have been an example for you..

Old 11-26-2009, 04:29 PM

9,602 posts, read 20,531,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
1Cr 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? Now you can worship God anywhere, anytime. For Christ now is your Sabbath rest. Blessings, AJ
The part highlighted in green is NOT part of the verse. Christians can worship anytime, granted that doing so on the Lord's Day (Sunday) when they partake of the Lord's Supper.

Can Christians worship ANY WAY they chose as long as they agree Jesus is their savior?? The New Testament writers repeatedly told their reader's in what way they should conduct worship.

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14:27...

"" If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret ""

also in chapter 11:17 & 33...

"" Now in giving these instructions I do not praise you, since you come together not for the better but for the worse... Do you not have houses to eat and drink in??... Therefore, my brethren, when you come together to eat, wait for one another.""

also James says in 2:4-4

"" For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, 3 and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, “You sit here in a good place,” and say to the poor man, “You stand there,” or, “Sit here at my footstool,” 4 have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts ""

Old 11-26-2009, 10:07 PM

241 posts, read 333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
I Cor. 6:19 has reference to how you are to keep your body. You can't do whatever you want to in your body; fornication, excessive tattooing and body piercing, doing drugs illegally, and etc. It has nothing to do with where and when you worship God. But when you do worship God, your body should be in total subjection. Christ is not our Sabbath. That was a day, not a person, and it was for man's benefit (Mk. 2:27). The bible refers the Sabbath or day of rest for us today as heaven and that we must work in order to enter into that rest (Heb. 4:1-11). Sunday is not a Christian Sabbath. It's not a day of rest here on earth, but a day that we enter into that rest and that day is judgement day.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
I Cor. 6:19 has reference to how you are to keep your body. You can't do whatever you want to in your body; fornication, excessive tattooing and body piercing, doing drugs illegally, and etc. It has nothing to do with where and when you worship God. But when you do worship God, your body should be in total subjection. Christ is not our Sabbath. That was a day, not a person, and it was for man's benefit (Mk. 2:27). The bible refers the Sabbath or day of rest for us today as heaven and that we must work in order to enter into that rest (Heb. 4:1-11). Sunday is not a Christian Sabbath. It's not a day of rest here on earth, but a day that we enter into that rest and that day is judgment day.
First of all, I can appreciate your understanding of the word "can't" in your interpretation, but as you know, everything in this world is an option.

That is why we are here in the first place, to be tested by the world and be victorious over it only by the power of God in Jesus.

Up and until Jesus, animal sacrifice only covered sins, but din not forgive them.
Therefore, works towards righteousness (Not works for a living)was required every day of the week for mankind, and rest from those works was given mankind on the Sabbath.

Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

God is saying a rest from our works of righteousness because the Sabbath day was a day dedicated to worshiping God.

Now that Jesus met those works of righteousness for us, means we can cease from ours.

Don't mix the two.
The Work for the lively hood of the body from the
Work towards salvation.

Work towards salvation has already been done in Jesus, therefore in Him you can find your rest (Sabbath) and cease from your own trying to work for your salvation when it is a free gift.

Blessings, AJ

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM

48 posts, read 83,382 times
Enjoyed the reading. I have not been logged in in quite some time.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 759 times
Go complety in water for remmission of sins, NO instruments for worship, Lords supper every Sun, Elders are the leaders and responsible for members and preacher, NO earthly home office, NOT a cult and NOT strict taskmasters. Love the sinner hate the sin, aganist homosexual, abortion,gambleing etc. Women are to keep silent, as far as prayer, preaching or leading the church as long as there are men. Women CAN teach, pray etc providing it is ONLY with other women or children. Do NOT believe the only ones going to heaven and DO NOT believe once saved always saved. These are a few basics. Been going to Church of Christ for 48 yrs and completly happy and satisfied. Only go by the bible no more no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or