U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:18 PM

13,459 posts, read 21,210,344 times

Advertisements

I was a member from 1963 until just a few years ago..IMO, it is not a cult..All Churches of Christ are not the same..Some do not allow musical instruments and others do..They have strict doctrine about a woman's role in church and family..They are in no way associated with the United Churches of Christ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 PM

309 posts, read 436,843 times
I was a member for a couple of years but too many differences with them once I started really studying the bible for myself instead of just going with what they said.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:29 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,022,724 times
It has been my experience in life that God begins with an individual wherever they are, to what belief system they are in and works with them as their desire for God builds in them.

Having said that, I reason that movement from one belief system to another is a good sign of spiritual growth.

Because all religions are human influenced, discrepancies arise prompting the serious and honest believer to seek out a better truth.

So, I challenge all believers as well as non-believers to question their own beliefs and seek to find what truth is.

A warning is in order though, believe no one individual as gospel truth, but allow yourself to question all presentations of the supposed truth and pray that the Holy Spirit guide you as He has promised you.

Blessings, AJ

Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM

241 posts, read 332,654 times
I have only been in the church of Christ for about 11 years now and I haven't had any problems that I couldn't resolve. I don't agree with everything that goes on but I do know that is where God placed salvation (Acts 2:47).The bible teaches me in Matt. 13:47-48 that there will be all kinds in the church of Christ but that doesn't make the church wrong. And no we are not crazy or kinda crazy but different or "peculiar" as the bible states in 1 Pt. 2:9 and when you do what God says like God says it, then people will begin to think that we are crazy or strict. Understand that God is not only a God of love, but also of wrath (Rom. 1:18). He is specific in his commands. He means what he says and says what he means. If you do it any other way than how he prescribed, then you have disobeyed him. God gave Noah specific commands on how to build the ark and when Noah did just like God said, look at the ending results. But remember Moses when God told him to speak to the rock, instead he hit or smote the rock and look at the ending results. Same thing with Adab and Abihu and also Naaman. You can see the results of OBEDIENCE AND DISOBEDIENCE. This is what's necessary to be saved (Heb. 5:8-9).

Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM

159 posts, read 194,780 times
I think people need to be careful when they say negative things of the church of Christ and call it a denomination. People in the religious world today think it is ok to go to whatever church suits them best. Friends there is only ONE church! The bible says there is one body (Eph. 4:4) and the body is the church (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18). There is only one church and which one is it? The one Jesus said he would build in Matt 16:18, "my church", in the singular. There is to be no divisions (1 Cor. 1:10-15) aka no denominations. Jesus adds you to the church of Christ (Acts 2:47) and that is the only place we can be added. What do I think of the church of (belonging to) Christ? It is the only church in the bible that was ever established and is the only church today. I do not understand why people think it is ok to go to some denomination that Jesus has no part of. Joseph Smith did not die for your sins, John Wesley did not sie for your sins, Alexander Campbell did not die for your sins, John Clavin, and so on. Jesus Christ did and so we best where His name (Rom. 16:16) because it is the only name whereby we can be saved (Acts 4:12) and no other name given by men will do friends. No one is saved unless they are "in Jesus Christ". That is where the grace is (Rom. 3:24) and baptism is how we get there (Gal 3:26-28) aka being added to the church (Acts2:38, 47) which is His body (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18).

Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM

241 posts, read 332,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
I think people need to be careful when they say negative things of the church of Christ and call it a denomination. People in the religious world today think it is ok to go to whatever church suits them best. Friends there is only ONE church! The bible says there is one body (Eph. 4:4) and the body is the church (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18). There is only one church and which one is it? The one Jesus said he would build in Matt 16:18, "my church", in the singular. There is to be no divisions (1 Cor. 1:10-15) aka no denominations. Jesus adds you to the church of Christ (Acts 2:47) and that is the only place we can be added. What do I think of the church of (belonging to) Christ? It is the only church in the bible that was ever established and is the only church today. I do not understand why people think it is ok to go to some denomination that Jesus has no part of. Joseph Smith did not die for your sins, John Wesley did not sie for your sins, Alexander Campbell did not die for your sins, John Clavin, and so on. Jesus Christ did and so we best where His name (Rom. 16:16) because it is the only name whereby we can be saved (Acts 4:12) and no other name given by men will do friends. No one is saved unless they are "in Jesus Christ". That is where the grace is (Rom. 3:24) and baptism is how we get there (Gal 3:26-28) aka being added to the church (Acts2:38, 47) which is His body (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18).
Very well spoken. I believe people go where they want to go because they want to be pleased. It's more about what they like than what God has commanded. In other words, they are saying that God has to conform to what they like, but God does not and will not conform to what man wants. People have to straighten up their lives and conform to what God wants. And just because they like something doesn't mean that God does. God tells us what he wants in the written word. They can either take it or leave it. This is the only choice people have today, to obey Him or not (John 12:48). There is no such thing as "go to the church of your choice". You can't get "them" out of "it". No matter how you look at it.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Very well spoken. I believe people go where they want to go because they want to be pleased. It's more about what they like than what God has commanded. In other words, they are saying that God has to conform to what they like, but God does not and will not conform to what man wants. People have to straighten up their lives and conform to what God wants. And just because they like something doesn't mean that God does. God tells us what he wants in the written word. They can either take it or leave it. This is the only choice people have today, to obey Him or not (John 12:48). There is no such thing as "go to the church of your choice". You can't get "them" out of "it". No matter how you look at it.
Exactly!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Let's separate what constitutes a church and what is the church of Christ.
The first is a physical forum, called a church, a building of denomination.
The second is the church of Christ which is not physical but spiritual, inhabiting the bodies of individuals as His temple.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Well then, which body of believers do you belong to, and if Christs body, then you are not of your own, but of His, which is spiritual.

What name would that then be?

Blessings, AJ

Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Let's separate what constitutes a church and what is the church of Christ.
The first is a physical forum, called a church, a building of denomination.
The second is the church of Christ which is not physical but spiritual, inhabiting the bodies of individuals as His temple.

1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Well then, which body of believers do you belong to, and if Christs body, then you are not of your own, but of His, which is spiritual.

What name would that then be?

Blessings, AJ
Could you please show in the bible where the church is a building? The church is the church of Christ. They are one in the same. You are correct that it is made up of the people as I stated in Acts 2:47. Where are you getting that the church is a physical building and the church of Christ is the spiritual?

We are a part of His body like you said and there is only one body (Eph. 4:4) and as said before, that body is the church (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18).
No offense you showed no bible to back up the first statement that the church is a physical denomination.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Could you please show in the bible where the church is a building? The church is the church of Christ. They are one in the same. You are correct that it is made up of the people as I stated in Acts 2:47. Where are you getting that the church is a physical building and the church of Christ is the spiritual?

We are a part of His body like you said and there is only one body (Eph. 4:4) and as said before, that body is the church (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18).
No offense you showed no bible to back up the first statement that the church is a physical denomination.
Well, lets see.....I used to be a Catholic, and then a Baptist, than a non denomination, of which I called all of them a church I belonged to in order to define my alliance to.

But I always knew that I was Christ's and learned to understand that the church of Christ is in me, as in you and everybody calling on His name.

What defines you from me is your definition of what your alliances (Denomination, type of church) is, to what we both belong to.

You and I are in the body of Christ, we are the church of Christ with you pertaining to the denomination "Church of Christ" and I to none, for I am an independant believer.

Blessings, AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or