U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 02:35 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,120,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
I believe we must believe (John 3:16, John 8:24)
I believe we must repent (Luke 13:3, Acts 17:30)
I believe we must confess Him with our mouth (Romans 10:9-10, Matt 10:32)
I believe we must be baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16, 1 Peter 3:21, Rom 6:3-6, Gal 3:27, etc)
I believe we must remain faithful until death (Rev. 2:10)

(of course if we sin, and we will, we must confess our sin and he will cleanse us continually 1 John 1:7-9)
We just need to trust and surrender all completely to God and the rest will follow....He will make sure of that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,023,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
The church of Christ is in the bible and authorized to be named so (Rom 16:16). It is the one church (Eph 4:4) that belongs to Jesus and He adds us to it upon salvation (Acts 2:47). Can you show me where denominations are ok? And we can be part of any church and go to heaven? There is only one true church and that is the one that Jesus established in Acts 2. Either you are part of his body or not. When we say "church of Christ" we mean the church that belongs to Jesus. Jesus did not establish divisions and names, He established His one church.
Quote "When we say "church of Christ" we mean the church that belongs to Jesus." end quote.

What you mean and say is in reference to what is called "The church of Christ" just as like the reference, "The church of God".

Does that mean "THE" church of God as opposed to all other churches is the only church?

I know what you really mean, the problem is that you want to associate your groups name, "The church of Christ" as being "The" church of Christ, when in fact it is, but spiritually as is all other groups whose believers are the body of Christ spiritually.

Blessings, AJ

Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 PM

241 posts, read 332,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I believe you are sadly mistaken....if I worshipped God in my bathroom it would be acceptable to Him. God doesn't give a rats bottom where you worship or what name you attach to your church...He cares about your heart. If I worship God with a pure and umblemished heart that is all that matters and you are just deluded if you think there are other requirements. If you pridefully place yourself above other believers because of the place you worship or what name your church has...you are no better than the Pharisees of Jesus day. When you stand before God, do you honestly believe He's going to care what church you attended? There is man made doctrine in ALL churches and if you believe yours is any different then that is just PRIDE talking. It does not matter what name you attach to your church because God doesn't look at that...He looks at your heart and only your heart. If your heart isn't right...you are nothing but a goat.

Mt 15:8 THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
9 BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.
No mistakes, just scriptures. The worship that I am referring is on the first day of the week. God commanded that we come together on this day to worship him. If you want to worship Him in the bathroom or wherever, then ok. Name does matter when you are married to Christ. The church is His wife, therefore, the church wears His name. It shows who the church belongs to. Ephesians 5:22-33 shows the relationship between Christ and the church. If you are married, do you wear your husband's name or another man's name. All I'm doing here is just showing why the church of Christ is called the church of Christ and by no other name.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,489,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What other requirements do you believe there are for salvation?

YouTube - Does a person have to be baptized to be saved?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
OMG. Tell me you don't mean that only those that attend a building with a sign that says church of Christ will be the only ones Jesus returns for.
The building has nothing to do with it at all. The building will be destroyed one day. The church are the members, people, or a body of believers who wear Christ's name and no other name. Christ will return for his wife (Eph. 5:27) and he has only one wife. You can't get them out of it (Matt. 16:18).

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,862,585 times
And back around the circle we go. No, thanks.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,120,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
And back around the circle we go. No, thanks.
Oh brother.....I'm getting very dizzy myself...ROFL

It's amazing how one tries to extract ones foot after they've stuck it down their throat!!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:21 AM

13,466 posts, read 21,217,203 times
There are members of the "Church of Christ" in the Baptist, Methodist, Pentacostal, etc, etc..Christ places the members of His church where they are needed..I have met them in the oddest places..

Christs church is everywhere and I believe it is alive and well..Most of those members do not wear the name of Christ on their sleeves or on a building..They wear Christ in their very heart and soul and it shows in their love, their actions and their deeds.

Once He freed me from literalism and legalism, I was able to see people through the eyes of Christ by way of the guidence of the Holy Spirit and what a joy and peace it has given me..

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,985,637 times
When I was in college I had an experience with the Church of Christ that was very upsetting.

At the time I missed my hometown church and some students from a local Church of Christ group invited me to a Bible study. It seemed OK until they asked me if I had been water baptized. I had been saved the year before and had not yet taken the plunge. My church at the time encouraged it, but said that it was not a condition of salvation.

Well the COC people started to tell me that I'd go to hell if I wasn't water baptized. They were desperate to get me to participate in a ceremony at the college pool and would show up at my dorm at all hours of the day and night to try to convince me.

I started to avoid them and eventually they left me alone. It was quite upsetting and after that I never attended another on-campus Christian group.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 PM

A blind man just can't see, even if you put it right in front of his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or