Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:48 PM

241 posts, read 379,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
There are no conditions to a free gift! It is a work of God not mankind's.
Obedience is a matter of personal relationship with God and rewarded with blessings.
Disobedience, reaps it's just rewards while in the flesh and the wages of that is death.

So, what it comes down to, is "what you sow, that shall you reap".

Blessings, AJ
No disagreement here. Also the free gift is eternal life (Rom. 6:23), but it's through the grace of Christ. And since Christ gave us something that we don't deserve, we must obey Him to receive this eternal life (Heb. 5:8-9).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Friends there is only ONE church! The bible says there is one body (Eph. 4:4) and the body is the church (Eph. 1:22-23, Col. 1:18)....blah....blah....blah

You hit the nail right on the head up until that point....then you lost it and hit your thumb.

The "Church" of Jesus Christ is not a building, what name your church has, denomination, religion, dogma, doctrine...etc. The church is the body of believers (the individual people)....all believers no matter what institutionalized church building they attend.

Do you think that because you attend worship at a church called the Church of Christ that makes you more of a member in Christs church than I am or anyone else who does not attend a church called the Church of Christ?

Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
No disagreement here. Also the free gift is eternal life (Rom. 6:23), but it's through the grace of Christ. And since Christ gave us something that we don't deserve, we must obey Him to receive this eternal life (Heb. 5:8-9).
Again, you want to place a condition on eternal life and that being obedience.

Obedience all you want, that will not buy you eternal life.

What does buy you life is the obedience of Jesus Christ freely given you.
All you have to do is accept it.

By accepting it, you are saying that you are willing live for Christ in the best way you can, because you want to honor Him.

To require obedience for salvation (Eternal life)is a condition placed on yourself for God Himself took care of in your behalf.

Blessings, AJ

Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Again, you want to place a condition on eternal life and that being obedience.

Obedience all you want, that will not buy you eternal life.

What does buy you life is the obedience of Jesus Christ freely given you.
All you have to do is accept it.

By accepting it, you are saying that you are willing live for Christ in the best way you can, because you want to honor Him.

To require obedience for salvation (Eternal life)is a condition placed on yourself for God Himself took care of in your behalf.

Blessings, AJ
Obedience is something that you do, not something that is given. What God gives us is mercy and grace, which gives us opportunity to obey him, another chance to make things right with him. Living for Christ the best way you can includes being obedient to him. Eternal life has a condition. Forgiveness of sins is conditional. You can only receive it if you repent (Lk. 13:3,5). Do you have to repent to be saved?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
You hit the nail right on the head up until that point....then you lost it and hit your thumb.

The "Church" of Jesus Christ is not a building, what name your church has, denomination, religion, dogma, doctrine...etc. The church is the body of believers (the individual people)....all believers no matter what institutionalized church building they attend.

Do you think that because you attend worship at a church called the Church of Christ that makes you more of a member in Christs church than I am or anyone else who does not attend a church called the Church of Christ?
He's right all the way. And you are right as well about the church not being a building, a name, denomination, religion, dogma, or doctrine, but believers. But understand this, the name does go along with the believers. It identifies who they are. God himself gave the name (Isa. 56:5; 62:2). This name is Christian. The doctrine is important as well (2 John 9). These things are not the church, but this is what God gave to the church. And these things distinguish His church from all the others. It does matter where you attend because there are many different doctrines out there (Heb. 13:9). There is also man-made doctrine and Jesus said that their worship is in vain if they obey these commandments (Matt. 15:9). Under the old law, the Jews were commanded to go to Jerusalem to offer acceptable worship to God. If they had gone elsewhere, their worship wouldn't be acceptable to God because that was the only place that God commanded them to go. And it's the same way today. Jesus built one church for the saving of the whole world and this church belongs to Him only. He gave it a name and certain instructions to go by.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM

309 posts, read 512,030 times
I am Pentecostal not Church of Christ and I am still saved. Amen!!

Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I am Pentecostal not Church of Christ and I am still saved. Amen!!
Show me in the bible where Jesus is coming back to get the Pentecostal church.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
He's right all the way. And you are right as well about the church not being a building, a name, denomination, religion, dogma, or doctrine, but believers. But understand this, the name does go along with the believers. It identifies who they are. God himself gave the name (Isa. 56:5; 62:2). This name is Christian. The doctrine is important as well (2 John 9). These things are not the church, but this is what God gave to the church. And these things distinguish His church from all the others. It does matter where you attend because there are many different doctrines out there (Heb. 13:9). There is also man-made doctrine and Jesus said that their worship is in vain if they obey these commandments (Matt. 15:9). Under the old law, the Jews were commanded to go to Jerusalem to offer acceptable worship to God. If they had gone elsewhere, their worship wouldn't be acceptable to God because that was the only place that God commanded them to go. And it's the same way today. Jesus built one church for the saving of the whole world and this church belongs to Him only. He gave it a name and certain instructions to go by.
I believe you are sadly mistaken....if I worshipped God in my bathroom it would be acceptable to Him. God doesn't give a rats bottom where you worship or what name you attach to your church...He cares about your heart. If I worship God with a pure and umblemished heart that is all that matters and you are just deluded if you think there are other requirements. If you pridefully place yourself above other believers because of the place you worship or what name your church has...you are no better than the Pharisees of Jesus day. When you stand before God, do you honestly believe He's going to care what church you attended? There is man made doctrine in ALL churches and if you believe yours is any different then that is just PRIDE talking. It does not matter what name you attach to your church because God doesn't look at that...He looks at your heart and only your heart. If your heart isn't right...you are nothing but a goat.

Mt 15:8 THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
9 BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
the diciples found a guy preaching about Jesus that was not connected to their numbers, and they tried to stop him.

When they told Jesus this, it is clear from his reaction that Jesus was upset that they tried to stop the unconnected preachers...

This clearly shows us that there is no one "church" organization that alone speaks for God.,

That would be a cult.
Anyone that tells you that their denomination alone is the only true church?....is a cult

Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,648 times
Quote:
Show me in the bible where Jesus is coming back to get the Pentecostal church.
OMG. Tell me you don't mean that only those that attend a building with a sign that says church of Christ will be the only ones Jesus returns for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity