U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do personal Christian testimonies have relevance?
Yes 23 82.14%
No 1 3.57%
Not sure 4 14.29%
Absolutely Not 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,959,041 times

Advertisements

Experience has shown that my testimony can be very comforting to some.
I believe it's purpose is to create kinship and trust.

I would not for example share what happened when I dived out of plane without a chute, to someone walking down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

37,494 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think our personal testimonies are only beneficial to edify, encourage and to witness to each other (Christians) to build our faith..

To an unbeliever I think we should give a testimony only if asked..and hope that it may be a healthy seed planted in fertile soil

Just my humble opinion..
Can't rep you, Miss Blue.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think our personal testimonies are only beneficial to edify, encourage and to witness to each other (Christians) to build our faith..

To an unbeliever I think we should give a testimony only if asked..and hope that it may be a healthy seed planted in fertile soil

Just my humble opinion..
I think if we were to have our potential realized (being totally emptied of ourselves, and filled with Him), we would meet people at their point of need - whether that was feeding the hungry, binding the wounds of the hurting, etc - like Jesus, we could then minister to their souls.

I heard a missionary say once that they wouldn't listen to him until he gave them something to eat - then they would give him their attention. I think we have to have compassion first and foremost - my personal agenda doesn't mean squat if it can't speak to their need.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:21 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,213,282 times
I think telling your testimony can be very powerful to an unbeliever. Many time they can relate to your story and that seems to open up conversation. I feel encouraged when I hear how God has worked in someones life.
Plus your testimony is your personal experience on how God has worked in your life. It's almost something other's can't agree with since it is your personal experience. I think when others see God changing people that gives them hope and proof that a loving God really cares about us and wants up to come unto Him...

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,213,282 times
I still remember years ago my neighbor telling me her testimony. I was a young believer and it showed how God will give us what we need. She had heard about Jesus and just couldn't believe all of that...she was sitting on her front steps of her home in a neighborhood. She sort of said outloud, "God if you are real you would have to prove it to me"...just then a piece of paper blew into the yard. She was mad someone was littering. She picked it up and it was a page from a Bible...that was enough for her...She believed and surrendered her life to Christ...
I think God will give us what we need to hear, when we need it, since he know everything. Sometimes he used testimonies to touch our heart and open them to Him

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,039,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I still remember years ago my neighbor telling me her testimony. I was a young believer and it showed how God will give us what we need. She had heard about Jesus and just couldn't believe all of that...she was sitting on her front steps of her home in a neighborhood. She sort of said outloud, "God if you are real you would have to prove it to me"...just then a piece of paper blew into the yard. She was mad someone was littering. She picked it up and it was a page from a Bible...that was enough for her...She believed and surrendered her life to Christ...
I think God will give us what we need to hear, when we need it, since he know everything. Sometimes he used testimonies to touch our heart and open them to Him
Thank you, Driftwood for sharing this testimony with us....it really touched my heart. As I read it, I could see it all happening in my heart.
Our God is so awesome and how He finds the perfect way to reach each one in that special way that only He knows.....that will definitely draw the heart to Him. Amen!!

Blessings

Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,203,440 times
Yes, it does because it will make others believe more in GOD by you telling them your testimony.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:59 AM

909 posts, read 505,298 times
I believe Sharing Testimonies Serves A Purpose. Although, people may not want to apply what they hear. I think it is great to share with others the blessing of the Lord. It seems those with relationships with God do not have as many issues and receive blessings. Why would someone's testimony not serve a purpose? I am not saying that Christians do not have problems, but if you have a strong faith and a relationship with God, you will get through it and be a stronger person in the long run.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,592,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
When you touch someone's life with genuine kindness and they ask you why and you tell them because of Jesus...there is a seed. Testimonies do not have to be spoken...they do not have to be full of detail. I voted yes.
Very good point SW. It makes me think of the old story about the little girl that was afraid of the dark. Her mother told her, "You don't need to be afraid of the dark.You're never alone. Jesus is always with you." And the little girl replied, "Yeah, I know He's always with me, but some times I need Jesus with skin on!"

Showing kindness to others is showing them Jesus with skin on, and is giving a silent testimony which can be just as powerful, perhaps more poweful, than a verbal one.

I also voted yes.

Last edited by mshipmate; 10-06-2009 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-10-2009, 05:55 AM

8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
When you touch someone's life with genuine kindness and they ask you why and you tell them because of Jesus...there is a seed. Testimonies do not have to be spoken...they do not have to be full of detail. I voted yes.
Thanks SW, you're right. I believe planting small seeds is more beneficial than a long, drawn out life history. Not saying life histories aren't beneficial also, just that the person on the receiving end of it needs to request it or at least be asked if they would like to hear it! Thanks to everyone for voting and answering....I kinda flaked on this one because my computer got sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity