U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do personal Christian testimonies have relevance?
Yes 23 82.14%
No 1 3.57%
Not sure 4 14.29%
Absolutely Not 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,007,507 times
Reputation: 58210

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what others think....Christian or not.

If you're a Christian, why do you think it's still relevant today? I mean we've seen how people get ripped to shreds when they share personal stuff here at CD so does it really serve a purpose in bringing people to Christ in today's world? Why not or how so?

If you're not a Christian, does someone's personal salvation story affect you at all? What kind of story would change your mind or is there any testimony that WOULD change your thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2009, 10:14 PM
 
40,037 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I'm just curious as to what others think....Christian or not.

If you're a Christian, why do you think it's still relevant today? I mean we've seen how people get ripped to shreds when they share personal stuff here at CD so does it really serve a purpose in bringing people to Christ in today's world? Why not or how so?
It never was supposed to "bring anyone to Christ" . . . that is God the Father's job. Testimony is to build fellowship among believers and gain the benefit of seeing the faith through the eyes and minds of others. The more we see of the world through other eyes . . . the more clearly we can see . . . since we are ALL looking at the same world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,020 posts, read 25,546,417 times
Reputation: 11309
"Do not throw pearls before swine"

In today's world, people are not willing to respect the concept of Christ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 11:18 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Reputation: 35901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I'm just curious as to what others think....Christian or not.

If you're a Christian, why do you think it's still relevant today? I mean we've seen how people get ripped to shreds when they share personal stuff here at CD so does it really serve a purpose in bringing people to Christ in today's world? Why not or how so?

If you're not a Christian, does someone's personal salvation story affect you at all? What kind of story would change your mind or is there any testimony that WOULD change your thinking?
I think testimonies are a valuable tool in witnessing to others and for sharing the goodness of the Lord. I do agree that there are many cruel posters on here that use the anonymity of forums such as this to attack others. I think that folks do need to be cautious in what they share in an online environment such as this but in real life, testimonies are highly effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2009, 11:48 PM
 
40,037 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
The poll would be clearer if you specified the purpose for which they are relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,007,507 times
Reputation: 58210
Mystic the poll is as clear as it's going to get. In the Christian world testimonies have always been used as a tool to bring people to know Christ. Don't make this into something complicated when it's really quite simple. There's a sign outside that says it would love to argue with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 AM
 
40,037 posts, read 26,715,004 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Mystic the poll is as clear as it's going to get. In the Christian world testimonies have always been used as a tool to bring people to know Christ. Don't make this into something complicated when it's really quite simple. There's a sign outside that says it would love to argue with you.
Touchy, touchy . . . such Christian love here. Carry on then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,953,196 times
Reputation: 6679
I'm not sure what's meant here. Going in front of the congregation and telling your life story is not done in my denomination. (Catholic) Oh maybe it is in some specific Catholic self-help groups or something, but generally no.

To be honest I'm mostly glad we don't do that. I would be very uncomfortable telling intimate things about my life to the general parish.

However if you mean something like telling non-believers the story of your faith or how it affected you it depends. I think if some stranger came up to me and told the entire story of why they became Baptist or Presbyterian or Coptic I might be puzzled. I don't think it would necessarily upset or anger me, but it's possible it could make me uncomfortable. Or maybe have no affect except a "that's nice for you" reaction. Or to make it like a non-believers experience a random woman comes up to me saying how great Krishna has been for her. I don't know if that'd really "say" anything to me. It's possible I'd just smile politely and try to get out of there. (Although I am interested in other cultures so maybe I actually would hear her out as a sort-of cultural education, depends on how she says the stuff or acts. Also frankly her culture. This maybe sounds racist of me but if a blue-eyed blond stranger starts telling me about Krishna and Karma I think I'd be more likely to tune her out)

However if I knew someone for a long time and they wanted to talk about their faith or life to me that could be nice. I don't think it'd change my mind on anything, but it'd be nice to understand them better. Maybe even understand their community better too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,556 posts, read 11,889,080 times
Reputation: 4516
The Gospel is one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread - so, yes I suppose - we are used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2009, 05:48 AM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,728,254 times
Reputation: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not sure what's meant here. Going in front of the congregation and telling your life story is not done in my denomination. (Catholic) Oh maybe it is in some specific Catholic self-help groups or something, but generally no.

To be honest I'm mostly glad we don't do that. I would be very uncomfortable telling intimate things about my life to the general parish.

However if you mean something like telling non-believers the story of your faith or how it affected you it depends. I think if some stranger came up to me and told the entire story of why they became Baptist or Presbyterian or Coptic I might be puzzled. I don't think it would necessarily upset or anger me, but it's possible it could make me uncomfortable. Or maybe have no affect except a "that's nice for you" reaction. Or to make it like a non-believers experience a random woman comes up to me saying how great Krishna has been for her. I don't know if that'd really "say" anything to me. It's possible I'd just smile politely and try to get out of there. (Although I am interested in other cultures so maybe I actually would hear her out as a sort-of cultural education, depends on how she says the stuff or acts. Also frankly her culture. This maybe sounds racist of me but if a blue-eyed blond stranger starts telling me about Krishna and Karma I think I'd be more likely to tune her out)

However if I knew someone for a long time and they wanted to talk about their faith or life to me that could be nice. I don't think it'd change my mind on anything, but it'd be nice to understand them better. Maybe even understand their community better too.
tell a man how to fish.. while he needs to get a licence before even thinking of fish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top