U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,451,056 times
Reputation: 746

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Problem is, you aren't Jesus and this is the year 2009...You may not be aware of it, but many things have changed since the time that Jesus was reputed to live, and you do not live in the places you mentioned. You live in a nation that prides itself on freedom, not the least of which is freedom of religion...I think you fundies are just ticked off because an increasing number of people are seeing biblical literalism for what it is, and are becoming more grounded in reality.

What he says is true though...Fundamentalism will eventually fade away, but not because of persecution that doesn't really exist, but because of what I said above.

The tide is turning and you're fighting on the losing side.
Quote:
You live in a nation that prides itself on freedom, not the least of which is freedom of religion
Quote:
The tide is turning and you're fighting on the losing side
Two quotes that conflict with one another....hmmmmm......So do I have freedom or not?...Ohhhhh I get it. I have the freedom to think as you do.

I am sorry you have me mistaken with Christians that preoccupy entirely too much of their time with trying to change culture through politics etc....that is not our jobs. I spend my time worshiping my God and giving Him the glory the best way I can I se in scripture and when they come for me and they will. I pray that He gives me the strength to overcome and declare His name to the end boldly, proudly and bravely preaching the gospel.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-06-2009 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
 
Location: dfw, tx
212 posts, read 496,109 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
WOW! Such differences in opinion of Christianity in the world. Yes Christians you are so right, it is Christians who create suicide bombers and fly planes into buildings, it is Christianity that produces class system and feeds what little food they have left to animal gods as they watch their own people starve...oh wait that is not Christianity. Christianity brought schools, charities, Christianity brought hospitals, brought freedom and democracy.

Ya I could see how a sinful, fallen, immoral, dead and decaying world could judge Christianity being antiquated, hateful and unfit for "civilization". What was I thinking?
Christianity also brought other good things such as: slavery to America, The KKK, Timothy Mcvae, genocide against the indians all the way down to South America, separate but equal, George Bushes regime, Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Lden, The Crusades, Burnings on a stick, war on science, and hatred of the jews. I guess you get a pass because christ died for your sins. This was the body of christ work so if you are a christian this is also your works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,451,056 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by desol11 View Post
Christianity also brought other good things such as: slavery to America, The KKK, Timothy Mcvae, genocide against the indians all the way down to South America, separate but equal, George Bushes regime, Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Lden, The Crusades, Burnings on a stick, war on science, and hatred of the jews. I guess you get a pass because christ died for your sins. This was the body of christ work so if you are a christian this is also your works.
Ummmm...I am black and that is not entirely true but feel free to your misinformation. True Christians freed the slaves, true Christians spoke up in the nazi holocaust only to suffer the same fate as the Jews, true Christians put God's word first before man's

Now granted there are true Chistian's who have done horrible things but these were spiritually immature Christians who did not have support of God or His word. We Christians all have different degrees of spirituality. We are all growing, some faster than others.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-06-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Reputation: 12214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Two quotes that conflict with one another....hmmmmm......So do I have freedom or not?...Ohhhhh I get it. I have the freedom to think as you do.
What conflict? Your literalist beliefs will fade into the sunset naturally...Nobody is going to forbid them...People eventually will just turn away over time. You are quite free to believe whatever you want, as am I.

Quote:
I am sorry you have me mistaken with Christians that preoccupy entirely too much of their time with trying to change culture through politics etc....that is not our jobs. I spend my time worshiping my God and giving Him the glory the best way I can I se in scripture and when they come for me and they will. I pray that He gives me the strength to overcome and declare His name to the end boldly, proudly and bravely preaching the gospel.
Well good for you, but I don't remember mentioning any of this, so why bring it up?...Uh, who exactly is coming for you?....Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,182 posts, read 19,976,834 times
Reputation: 2107
Proverbs 16:7 When a mans ways please the Lord, He makes his enemies to be at peace with him.

Our enemy is not flesh and blood , but our old nature , carnal mind,old man or whatever comes under the heading of an alienated mind that attempts to move us from abiding in the peace of God that passes all understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:26 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,372,769 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Proverbs 16:7 When a mans ways please the Lord, He makes his enemies to be at peace with him.

Our enemy is not flesh and blood , but our old nature , carnal mind,old man or whatever comes under the heading of an alienated mind that attempts to move us from abiding in the peace of God that passes all understanding.
Agreed!

Of course, this makes you an enemy of this world also. God can make the hedge around you, such as in the case of Job, which means that your enemies will be at peace with you. But the ruler of this world, and those in power will not like it when you do not submit to their authority. This will make you an emeny of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,247,941 times
Reputation: 3440
I think we're much closer to this reality than we may think.

And sanspeur's comments in this thread help solidify my belief.

How can someone so vehemently opposed to Christianity to suggest persecution is merited and that a poster in this forum might not realize that many things have changed since Jesus was crucified and all this in a forum called 'Christianity' all the while touting the 'freedom' of America?

I believe Jesus said we'd be hated because He was hated and it's very true. And it will increase.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-06-2009 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: chnged kdbirch to sanspeur...always mix them up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,680,506 times
Reputation: 12214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I think we're much closer to this reality than we may think.

And kdbirch's comments in this thread help solidify my belief.

How can someone so vehemently opposed to Christianity to suggest persecution is merited and that a poster in this forum might not realize that many things have changed since Jesus was crucified and all this in a forum called 'Christianity' all the while touting the 'freedom' of America?

I believe Jesus said we'd be hated because He was hated and it's very true. And it will increase.
Kdbrich? ...I suppose this is your idea of a personal insult, huh? I'm guessing that you don't agree with me, but why compare me with him? I am not opposed to Christianity at all...Most of my family are Christians. What I am opposed to is people spreading unwarranted paranoia...You are not being persecuted except to the extent that you allow it in your own mind....

Who exactly do you think hates you? Disagreement is not hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 04:08 PM
 
7,780 posts, read 13,247,941 times
Reputation: 3440
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Kdbrich? ...I suppose this is your idea of a personal insult, huh? I'm guessing that you don't agree with me, but why compare me with him? I am not opposed to Christianity at all...Most of my family are Christians. What I am opposed to is people spreading unwarranted paranoia...You are not being persecuted except to the extent that you allow it in your own mind....

Who exactly do you think hates you? Disagreement is not hate.
Opps!

Sorry!

Fixed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Nowhere'sville
2,345 posts, read 3,814,915 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Was Jesus paranoid when He said, we will kill Him? Oh it's true. Nigeria, Orissa State, Middle East, China. Don't think that can't or won't happen here.

Well he WAS a little paranoid you know. He prayed to himself in the garden and asked himself why he was doing this to himself. Scary isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top