Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,126,183 times

Advertisements

It is very simple what we are saved from............Our time of need.

By unwavering faith in his grace we can be confident that he is our salvation in the moment.

There is no eternal hell to be saved from in the first place. Scripture states nowhere that Jesus Christ saves us from eternal hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:36 AM

45,306 posts, read 26,855,200 times
Romans 5:9-10 - Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Romans 5:9-10 - Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
Why do you equate wrath with eternal hell. The wrath of God was on you when you were in unbelief according to scripture........ Was you in eternal hell when you were in unbelief ?. The wrath of God is described in the garden of Eden,it is the effect of a life of unbelief, and saying you believe in the bible and Jesus does not exempt you from the wrath being upon you. The wrath of God is upon unbelief, abundant life is upon faith.

Last edited by pcamps; 07-09-2013 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Why do you equate wrath with eternal hell. The wrath of God was on you when you were in unbelief according to scripture........ Was you in eternal hell when you were in unbelief ?. The wrath of God is upon unbelief, abundant life is upon faith.
What you say here has a lot of meaning to me. Some other poster on a different thread made a good point which I have considered before: Jesus loved to talk in parables. And since the word is Jesus, why do some people want to take eternal hell so literally? I don't know, I am certainly no bible scholar though I'm working my way steadily and surely (and I hope continually) through that magnificent literature (in my opinion). Perhaps one day I will come to the same understanding as the literal eternal hell believers; it just hasn't come to me yet.

Personally, I feel that if I am saved when I die (which my understanding now is that the saving doesn't happen until we die, so how can we know we are saved yet? I certainly can turn away from God at my own free will; I may change my mind later on--who can say what will happen?), it will be from being cut off from Christ. Nothing I have experienced in this life is more meaningful and fulfilling to me when I believe on Him and trust in Him and love Him. There is nothing in the world that can compare to it. I live in torment in the back of my mind that when I die I will not be able to experience this and spend eternity away from His presence (this seems like a sin and I can't stop my rational mind from conceiving this as a possibility since there is no way to tell how I will feel and what I will believe weeks, months, or years from now). That is an eternal Hell to me because I seem to experience a portion of it when I don't feel spiritually strong and my faith wavers. It is (to me) a literal agony, the emptiness and nothingness of what strictly being in the world offers to me.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM

45,306 posts, read 26,855,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Why do you equate wrath with eternal hell. The wrath of God was on you when you were in unbelief according to scripture........ Was you in eternal hell when you were in unbelief ?. The wrath of God is described in the garden of Eden,it is the effect of a life of unbelief, and saying you believe in the bible and Jesus does not exempt you from the wrath being upon you. The wrath of God is upon unbelief, abundant life is upon faith.
I don't think I mentioned hell in my answer. Let me repeat my answer with a different focus.

That's future. The wrath described here is future wrath.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM

794 posts, read 842,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Saved from their sins?

Saved from physical death? Spiritual death?

Saved from the lake of fire?

Saved from chores?

I read in post after post that Christ died for the sins of mankind and the reward is life forever. Yet I see no verse that says "you will not physically die," so how is one saved from physical death?

Any opinions out there as to what Christians are saved from?
Hebrews 9:28 "so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him."

The word salvation in this verse is not referring to salvation of our souls. Jesus accomplished that in His first coming. In His second coming He will bring salvation for our bodies. Believers in the finished work of Christ are saved from God's justice towards sin, because God already judged all the sins of the world in the body of Jesus.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
We are saved from the futility of a life of sin(being self-centered).

Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think I mentioned hell in my answer. Let me repeat my answer with a different focus.

Then what is the consequence of the wrath of God if you do not believe it is eternal hell?. Are you saying the wrath that abides on unbelief is different to the future wrath you believe to come upon those who do not believe like you ?.

Did you say you were a minister at some point ?.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:

No, the salvation is future, there is no tense specified for wrath.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 478 times
Isn't it amazing that someone can receive life forever as a reward for someone else's death? Me thinks the wording is a bit out of order in that statement. We are not rewarded because Christ died; we are reunited with God through the sacrifice of Christ, if and only if we recognize our own seperation from God and then understand and accept that only through faith in the finished work of Christ can we be reunited to God.

Why is this possible: Because God the Father willingly charges our sins, past, present and future against Christ even as He attributes the perfection of Christ to our account -- Thus sinners become right before God.

Mike

[mod]deleted[/mod]

Last edited by june 7th; 07-19-2013 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: Email solicitation - Please do not include any personal information: name/email. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity