U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,122,352 times
Reputation: 807

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Traditionally Christianity states the body will be physically Resurrected. It will also be Resurrected whole according to many Church Fathers. (Meaning you'll have all your organs and they'll be healthy even if you don't precisely need them) This is true even if your body has been reduced to molecules or atoms.
There's the key word "traditionally"...

Mt 15:8'THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
9'BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.'"

As more and more people study the bible for themselves and quit relying on others for their interpretation...the traditions of men will be left behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,397,085 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The he would be the liar or not God
Careful now... God must be a liar then if he changed his mind? Happened in the OT all the time. See (Jer. 18:5-10; Joel 2:13; Jon.
4:2; Exod. 32:14; Amos 7:3, 6; Jon. 3:10; or might change it if need be Jer. 26:3; Joel 2:14; Jon. 3:9).

So if you are saved from hell, where in the bible is the criteria to be saved? Since God can and does change his mind, who can say for sure if they are saved from burning in hell?

Can you say that you are assured to circumvent burning torture or perhaps you "hope" you will but it's up to God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,397,085 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
There's the key word "traditionally"...

Mt 15:8'THIS PEOPLE HONORS ME WITH THEIR LIPS,
BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR AWAY FROM ME.
9'BUT IN VAIN DO THEY WORSHIP ME,
TEACHING AS DOCTRINES THE PRECEPTS OF MEN.'"

As more and more people study the bible for themselves and quit relying on others for their interpretation...the traditions of men will be left behind.
Does that mean traditional Christians are "left behind" too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 AM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,411,663 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
We will live forever regardless because we were made to be eternal. It is in Christ who we live in Who is eternal. "eternal life" is Jesus-He is eternal and He is the life. We are saved from God's wrath.
Then you also believe we are simply saved from God Himself. God created us, God sent his son to die; effectively God died for us, to save us from Himself.

Does that really make sense to you? It doesn't to me.


The biblical answer is that we were subjected to sin (frustration, vanity) NOT WILLINGLY, and God will save us from that sin. He is not doing that simply to show wrath.

He is doing it so we will gain an experience of evil, so we will learn patience and kindness, so we will learn LOVE. In order for us to learn this, God subjected us to vanity (sin), and God will deliver us from sin, so that the full riches of mercy and love can be understood.

Again it comes back to love, because God is LOVE and we are being made in the image of God which is LOVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 AM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,411,663 times
Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Just to qualify that.....only for those who believe. You don't have to wait to die to be condemned to hell

"whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."
You know this is not true twin.spin, otherwise we are all condemned to hell because we all did not believe at one point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,397,085 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Just to qualify that.....only for those who believe. You don't have to wait to die to be condemned to hell

"whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."


God's will is done.....

"Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son."
So by your actions you are saved or condemned?

Doesn't it state that salvation cannot be obtained through works?

How can your salvation depend on works, then?
Or your condemnation to hell depend on works?

If you can be condemned in this life... what are you condemned to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,122,352 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
We will live forever regardless because we were made to be eternal. It is in Christ who we live in Who is eternal. "eternal life" is Jesus-He is eternal and He is the life. We are saved from God's wrath.

(John 3:36)
36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.
What is eternal life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
 
Location: The Netherlands
8,567 posts, read 14,532,141 times
Reputation: 1573
Originally Posted by twin.spin
Quote:
If God changes his mind?
The he would be the liar and\or not the true God
So you're saying that everyone who changes his mind is a liar?
Or are you saying that I can do something that God can't?

FYI didn't God change His mind because Jesus sacrificed himself?
I mean I see a distinct difference between the OT God (of wrath) and the NT God (of love).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,459,929 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
What is eternal life?
"Eternal life" is Jesus Christ. When Jesus is received, instantly the believer is given "eternal life" as Jesus Christ dwells in them but will be fully maniefested after his or her physical death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,826,600 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
So we are saved from the one who can destroy both soul and body in hell? We are saved from God?

Again, your stubborness is what causing you to hit your forehead.....

not God were saved from..rather God's wrath were saved from

Romans 2:5
"But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top