Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:13 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
OUCH!!! It will be very difficult to explain that one in regards to ET
And since when does ET'ers always have to have an answer for every situational, obscure or sarcastic question?

You have the choice to not believe. You will bear the consequences of that decision. Those consequences end when you believe Jesus, not when you out-smarted him.

That opportunity is not eternal, it ends in your lifetime.
Now the lenght of time the opportunity is available depends if God allows you to or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I have, subjected to "futility" not vanity. Futility means the inability to achieve a goal or purpose and because of man's sin, God cursed the physical universe, no part of creation fulfills God's original purpose.
Lexicon Results
Strong's G3153 - mataiotēs
ματαιότης

Outline of Biblical Usage
1) what is devoid of truth and appropriateness
2) perverseness, depravity
3) frailty, want of vigour

Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 3
AV — vanity 3

Concordance Results (NASB)
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
Strong's Number G3153 matches the Greek ματαιότης (mataiotēs), which occurs 3 times in 3 verses in the Greek concordance of the NASB
Page 1 / 1 (Rom 8:20 - 2Pe 2:18)
(More Info)

Rom 8:20For the creation 2937 was subjected 5293 to futility 3153, not willingly 1635, but because 1223 of Him who subjected 5293 it, in hope 1680

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
And since when does ET'ers always have to have an answer for every situational, obscure or sarcastic question?

You have the choice to not believe. You will bear the consequences of that decision. Those consequences end when you believe Jesus, not when you out-smarted him.
In that verse I have "futility" not "vanity" what do you have?

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Christians say they are saved from the self imposed evils, which they believe exist here on earth and in the afterlife.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
I agree and how does one start by doing that?
One doesn't start that at all....God starts it.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Lexicon Results
ματαιότης

Outline of Biblical Usage
1) what is devoid of truth and appropriateness
2) perverseness, depravity
3) frailty, want of vigour........
I will stick to mine but regardless God cursed the creation because man sinned. What's the problem? we brought it on ourselves, we only have ourselves to blame.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl
Quote:
Eternal life is knowing and having a relationship with God
But isn't this the problem?
Every Christian denomination believes that they hold the key to knowing God personally, yet they all say different things.
Because of this I can only conclude that they all believe that they are right, so all Christians are essentially saved from doubt.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
One doesn't start that at all....God starts it.
ummmmmm...true but the bible is clear we must do something in order to have a relationship with Him.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:23 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
I have, subjected to "futility" not vanity. Futility means the inability to achieve a goal or purpose and because of man's sin, God cursed the physical universe, no part of creation fulfills God's original purpose.
So God in His all knowing foreknowledge had to change his plan because His creation didn't fulfill His original purpose?

It sounds like you are saying God made a mistake, but God does not make mistakes. This creation in all its futility and vanity does indeed fulfill a very important purpose in God's plan. It is teaching us good and evil and it is teaching us humility.

Concordant Literal:
Ecc 1:13 It is an experience of evil Elohim [God] has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it

God did not have to react to our sin because mankind threw off God's perfect plan. NO. God indeed planned and intended for sin to occur, and then planned for salvation from that sin, so that we could learn good and evil and ultimately learn LOVE.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl But isn't this the problem?
Every Christian denomination believes that they hold the key to knowing God personally, yet they all say different things.
Because of this I can only conclude that they all believe that they are right, so all Christians are essentially saved from doubt.
I don't know if that's true. I would say, every denomination believes they are following scripture in order to obtain eternal life. There is one truth, we can't all be right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity