Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I mean that people who have died are not aware of what is going on on the earth. Angels both elect and fallen certainly do know what is going on. The fallen angels can impersonate someone who has died. All angels have been around since before human history began. A fallen angel who was in the vinicity of some person at some time in history can impersonate that person, for instance, in a seance and thus give the impression of calling up the dead.

Angels may or may not be able to read a persons mind. I tend to think that they can, but it's just a guess.
It is possible of course that God the Father created "angels" as a separate stream of consciousness from His own children whom He created/organized in His own image and likeness. But it is most likely in my opinion that those "angels" are just His spirit children in premortal, mortal, translated, or resurrected states, including Lucifer and those one third of God's spirit children who followed him and will never get a physical body.

When Malachi wrote what today is the last verse of the Old Testament, it seems to me that he was aware that the "fathers" (those whose physical bodies are already dead) are indeed concerned about their descendents on earth - at least they'd better be! And we in turn need to turn our hearts to them, our ancestors. (That's why Latter-day Saints are so involved with genealogical research.)

"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse." Malachi 4: 5-6

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/mal/4/5-6#5

Latter-day Saints testify that the resurrected prophet Elijah did already return, as prophesied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 PM

63,778 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
how can I express sarcasm
You needn't worry . . . your entire demeanor is sarcasm and pompous self-righteousness and self-importance bred by an unjustified belief in the "precepts and doctrines of men." God and His Holy Spirit have no part in what you present.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"spirits in the spirit world" as Mormonism teaches is not found in the Bible either.

progression to become a god of your own planet wasn't taught by Jesus.........
Wasn't taught by Mormons either, just by those who pretend they know our doctrines but don't.

(I'll see if I can come up with some bible quotes that refer to the spirit worlds, shouldn't be too difficult.)

On second thought, why not take this up in the "Mormons made Simple" thread, don't want to get this one too far off topic:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/516732-ask-mormon.html

Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
John 3:18 ''He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
The word translated as judged in that verse could also be translated as "separate", it is the Greek word krinō. So long as one does not believe in Christ they are not yet reconciled to God and are separate from him now, in the present. The word already in that verse is the Greek word ēdē and here could be translated as now.

Whether or not you translate the word krino as judged or separate the meaning is still really the same, but to understand the Greek word in that verse translated as judged to be krino sheds light on the actual meaning of the verse.

The verse could also be translated as ...

''He who believes in Him is not separate(krino); he who does not believe is separate(krino) now(ēdē), because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

Quote:
John 3:36 ''He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the SON SHALL NOT SEE LIFE, but the wrath of God abides on him.
This verse is both mistranslated and misunderstood due to the translation error ... A better translation is ...

"he who is believing in the Son, hath life age-during(aionios); and he who is not believing the Son, shall not see life, but the wrath of God doth remain upon him."

Any one who does not believe does not see life in the ages. They will not have age during life, which is to know Christ and his father that sent him. But at the fullness of times or the consummation of the ages they will come to know God and Christ and will be saved by fire ...(1Cr 3:15,Psa 67:4,Psa 66:4,Isa 45:23,Rom 14:11,Isa 49:7)

Quote:
Matthew 25:41 ''Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels.''
Again this verse in misunderstood due to bad translation ... A better translation is ...

"Then shall he say also to those on the left hand, Go ye from me, the cursed, to the fire, the age-during(aionios), that hath been prepared for the Devil and his messengers; ... "

The fire of Gods wrath is derived from his love and is not a separate distinct quality, for God is love and all things of God derive from love(Sgs 8:6). The purpose of Gods fiery judgments of all nations is the same as his fiery judgments which were reserved for Israel before the death and resurrection of Christ and the establishment of the new covenant, and that purpose is for purification and cleansing of them that are so judged(Mal 3:2,1Cr 3:15)

Quote:
God means what He says and He says what He means. Better listen to Him.
What is really interesting is how in one instance you say that all you have to do is believe in Christ and you will be saved. Then out of the other side of your mouth you proclaim if you don't believe in hell and eternal torture and instead believe and teach universal reconciliation that you will not be saved regardless of whether or not you believe in Jesus but will burn in the lake of fire ...

So is it believing in Jesus alone? Or is it believing in the interpretation which you believe to be true about hell and eternal torture also?

And if it is believing about eternal hell and torture as well is that all? What about the trinity? What about the immaculate conception? What about deity of Christ? What about the full futurist dispensational teaching of prophecy ... etc. etc. etc. ... ?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:15 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You needn't worry . . . your entire demeanor is sarcasm and pompous self-righteousness and self-importance bred by an unjustified belief in the "precepts and doctrines of men." God and His Holy Spirit have no part in what you present.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Said by Me: progression to become a god of your own planet wasn't taught by Jesus.........

Answer: Justamere10
"Wasn't taught by Mormons either, just by those who pretend they know our doctrines but don't."

Lets break this down:
"progression to become a god "

Question from ask a Mormon:
Quote: "And that we can become Gods ourselves someday?"
Answer: "Yes"............. Paul McNabb #77 in ask a mormon
__________________________________________________ ____________
Question from ask a Mormon:
Question: So it IS true that a good mormon can become a god on his own planet with his wife and make lots of babies to populate the planet?

"I do believe that I am literally a spirit child of God the Father and that He has provided a plan of happiness whereby if I am obedient to His commandments and my covenants with Him I have the potential to 'grow up' and become like Him."
(you are a physical person..are you not?)

Answer: Justamere10 .... continued
"I believe that if the two of us continue to keep our temple covenants and God's commandments to the best of our ability to the end of our lives, that we will eventually receive resurrected celestial bodies and because of the atonement and mercy of Jesus Christ will enter into the highest mansion of our Heavenly Father's kingdoms of glory. From there I personally think it is possible for us to advance to the point where the two of us will be taught how to organize spirit children in the same manner that our Heavenly Father organized our spirit bodies."

yet you believe eventually being like God,.....
If God has physical children, like you.... (and you're going to be like him) then you will have literal physical children...
And since Heavenly Father has a planet of his own ... (and you're going to be like him)
Then you're going to have a planet of your own for your literal spirit children to physically occupy...

( just didn't think that one through or is it the old rabbit hole argument routine?)

Elder Joseph Fielding Smith offers this counsel: ‘Salvation does not come all at once, we are commanded to be perfect even as our Father in heaven is perfect. It will take us ages to accomplish this end, for there will be greater progress beyond the grave.’”Ensign May 1989

Lets connect the dots:
  • greater progress that takes ages to accomplish
  • + I have the potential to 'grow up' and become like Him."
  • + "I do believe that I am literally a spirit child of God the Father
  • + Justamere10 is a physical person
  • + Justamere10 is on a planet
  • + 'grow up' and become like Him." = "progression to become a god of your own planet"
Paul McNabb's a good ol' Mormon answer--------YES

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-09-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: copied this post in for futher reference

Old 10-09-2009, 06:37 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Is this a universal statement?
Everything Jesus says, you can believe it, whether you understand it or not.
Jesus did say this...
__________________________________________________ _________________
1 John 5:10
Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar,

Revelation 21:8
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
God makes those who do not believe "all" a liar....God's will being done

God places them in the fiery lake of burning sulfur..not to forgive them, but to reward them for being liars...punishment.

The second death is what Jesus refers to as "will not see life.
"All" unbelievers will be considered "All" liars

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

" He said it, you can believe it, whether you understand it or not"
Yes, I believe it..every word of it. Every verse you just quoted, I believe. Just like I hope you believe the following;
1 Tim 4:10
For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

He said it, you can believe it, whether you understand it or not

Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
how can I express sarcasm
Anyway you want, if that`s what makes you feel good.
Express away!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Said by Me: progression to become a god of your own planet wasn't taught by Jesus.........

"Wasn't taught by Mormons either, just by those who pretend they know our doctrines but don't."....
This would be great stuff to take up in the proper thread, I'd love to respond there where it's not off topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/516732-ask-mormon.html

Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
The dead do hear our thoughts. They also can teach you and guide you through this world. You'll see after you die. You are in for quite a surprise!!!
Just like King Saul was surprised?

1 Sam. 28:6 And when Saul enquired of the LORD, the LORD answered him not, neither by dreams, nor by Urim, nor by prophets.

7 ¶ Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.

The word "woman" in the Hebrew text reads "medium", and she "possesses as mistress" to these evil spirits. The word "hath" in the Hebrew text is "owneth", for she owned her own familiar spirit.

11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.

12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.

13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending *out of the earth.

*Note...these spirits didn't come from heaven.

14 And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15 ¶ And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

16 Then said Samuel, Wherefore then dost thou ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy.

#3049, "yidde-oniy, yid-deh-o-nee'; from 3045, prop. a knowing one; spec. a conjurer; (by impl.) a ghosts: wizzard."

A familar spirit is an evil spirit that has possessed one who has died and 'play the role' or take on the illusion of the dead person="necromancy".

They 'speak' through a medium called a wizard, fortune teller, or palm reader to name a few, and can give facts of that dead persons life.

Remember from Mark 3:11; "And unclean spirits, when they saw Him, fell down before Him, and cried, saying, `Thou art the Son of God.' "

Even though the people standing before Christ had no idea who He was, these evil spirits knew exactly who Christ was.

I Samuel 28:19 "Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines."

That night not only did they lose the battle, but Saul died.

1Sa 31:5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise upon his sword, and died with him.

1Sa 31:6 So Saul died, and his three sons, and his armourbearer, and all his men, that same day together.

1Ch 10:5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise on the sword, and died.
1Ch 10:6 So Saul died, and his three sons, and all his house died together.

1Ch 10:13 So Saul died for his transgression which he committed against the LORD, even against the word of the LORD, which he kept not, and also for asking counsel of one that had a familiar spirit, to enquire of it;

NOTE:

Deut.18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,

11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee

The Word clearly teaches not to mess with the dead and or familiar spirits. God calls it an abomination. If you do this, then I'm afraid.... you are the one who's in for a big surprise.

Last edited by mshipmate; 10-09-2009 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity