U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times

Advertisements

I pray that all the Chrisians who are being persecuted all over the world could hear this song or see these words. I pray you hold on my brothers and sisters for you are blessed more than us free Christians and there will come a time in heaven when we will say to you. "God really loved you for He gave you the blessing of persecution"

"It Is Well with My Soul"

This hymn was written after several traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the death of his only son in 1871, shortly followed by the great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer). Moderator cut:

Edited due to copyright

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-07-2009 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,710,060 times
I remember the days when one of our ministers used to throw up one of these "stories behind the hymns" at the end of his messages during the altar call. They sold well as they tugged at heart strings. Great marketing skills.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I remember the days when one of our ministers used to throw up one of these "stories behind the hymns" at the end of his messages during the altar call. They sold well as they tugged at heart strings. Great marketing skills.
You feel the tug at your soul don't you. I was just like you a mocker and hater of God. Put your pride away don't fight Him and let Him in. Answer Him. He will change you

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-07-2009 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 AM

13,459 posts, read 21,199,786 times
I love that song..The lyrics and the music have always been a blessing since I was a child..All these many years later, I can truly say and believe that "It is well with my soul"..Thank you for this reminder.

Most of our favorite hymns were written out of compassion, sorrow, pain or the joy of the writer..and have special meanings /blessings to many people..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,710,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I love that song..The lyrics and the music have always been a blessing since I was a child..All these many years later, I can truly say and believe that "It is well with my soul"..Thank you for this reminder.

Most of our favorite hymns were written out of compassion, sorrow, pain or the joy of the writer..and have special meanings /blessings to many people..
It is indeed a beautiful song. One of those songs that carries me back to those early years of my life at my beloved grandmother's feet. Of course the message rings hallow to me, but the music (I am a musician) is a great piece. I can respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity