Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 AM

233 posts, read 751,664 times

Advertisements

I studied this and came up with a thought I would like to pose to someone.
Pre-flood man lived about 900 yrs.. Post-flood 435 yrs. why? What do you think, and I will share what I have found out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:54 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
I have a couple thoughts on the subject and have read two interesting articles regarding this very subject. These are my opinions/beliefs:

1) - Genetic disposition. There is a string at the top of each chromosome that tells the cell how many times to divide. Once it reaches its limit, the cell can no longer divide and it starts to lose its functionality and aging sets in. Now, in the beginning and up to Noah and his family, this was well functioning as genetic mutational loads had not accumulated a great deal by that time so they lived longer. After the flood, the genetic pool was quite limited, and this strand began to be affected by mutational effects and thus the age dropped.

2) - Post-flood environment. Add to the above answer the type of world that was entered into by Noah and his decendants. It looked a lot back then like it does now, which is totally different than what it looked like before the flood. Add to that the smaller beginning population and I would say that can reduce a population's maximium age limit.

3) - God's hand. Some people say in the bible where God says he shall not contend with man forever and limits man to 120 years can be taken two ways: 120 years to build the ark (majority opinion) or limiting man's age to 120 years (minority opinion). This is a minor opinion because, as your OP pointed out, people lived beyone 120 years after the flood -- not too much longer after before it dropped off, but they did. And if they did, then God didn't limit them to 120 years by that statement, because that would have been a lie.

Just my thoughts.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:33 AM

233 posts, read 751,664 times
well from what i have gathered. if you think about it there were 2 main factors. God is in this without saying.
1, there was only one window and it was 18" tall and wide. gen 6:16
2, they had only meat to eat. the animal, not all of them entered the ark 2 by 2. the clean animals went in by 7's gen 7:1-2

i believe stale air, and diet was the major cause of the shortening of their life span.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:14 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Even in the Ante-Diluvian period life spans had been shorten because of what Adam and Eve had done in in the Garden of Eden.Sin had entered into the souls of man and that is worse than any disease that you can contract

Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
I would say they didn't live 900 years or 435 years. I guess I don't take that to mean they literally lived 900 years.

What do I take it to mean? I have no idea. Maybe they said 900 years to indicate their importance.. I dunno

Old 09-21-2007, 05:49 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
There's a song that goes....

Oh, Methuselah lived nine hundred years,
Methuselah lived nine hundred years.
But who calls that livin'
When no gal will give in
To no guy what's nine hundred years!

I think the song was one of Johnny Mercer's.

I find it hard to believe that time was counted the same way then that it is now. They may have figure the time from one full moon to the next as ONE period and people later began to call that period a year as they retold the story. 900 would then be only 75 of our years.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:58 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Thats easy.....We started dying when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge. As man became more and more sinful he began to get farther farther from perfection and his body began to die quicker...Thats just my humble opinion...

Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

27,340 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Its true, Adam lived to be around 900 or so years and as our bodies got less perfect in time, we might see 70 or 80 in most cases.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:44 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,197 times
i have to agree to mam1559s genetic disposition, it makes alot of sense. and then there is the atmosphere part, the climate was very very very different pre-flood, remember we still had the waters above that canopied the earth from the sun at that time, and when these waters were used up during the floods that was bye bye canopy, hello sun! and down went our great health, pity. but above all that i think our life span changed simple because God determind it be so. To Padgett2 - i dont think the length of years was that different from how it is now. the thing is the book of genesis was written by moses, during his time, as dictated by god. the length of year at this time was not that different from ours.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
well from what i have gathered. if you think about it there were 2 main factors. God is in this without saying.
1, there was only one window and it was 18" tall and wide. gen 6:16
2, they had only meat to eat. the animal, not all of them entered the ark 2 by 2. the clean animals went in by 7's gen 7:1-2

i believe stale air, and diet was the major cause of the shortening of their life span.
It was only 40 days for cryin out loud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity