U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The Christ on the cross served those who have fallen, and who will fall.
I don't think the debate is necessary, in either side of the faith.
Somehow, I just don't believe this to be the truth, it certainly is not the way I see things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 12:14 AM

17,690 posts, read 8,866,529 times
I have been in thirty-two, war-torn countries.
No symbol can justify it!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,567,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I have been in thirty-two, war-torn countries.
No symbol can justify it!
Amen! To squabble over symbols is, as June has said, to dishonor those who are gone. The cross is supposed to be a symbol of shame (a detail which seems to fly over the head of many professing Christians).

Old 01-05-2011, 11:48 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
Quote:
The Christ on the cross served those who have fallen, and who will fall.
I don't think the debate is necessary, in either side of the faith.
that symbol only serves those who believe in that brand of mythology, since I do not, I find it intrusive and offensive.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,228,573 times
Quote:
Check Josephus, Tacitus and Philo...they document Christ's death, on the cross. What you people fail to understand is that history records prophecies fulfilled, including Jesus' prophecy of the temple destruction some 38 years after His words uttered. 1 Clement substantiates this event before its fall, honoring them as Jesus' words, all written and circulated, BEFORE the Fall of the temple and city. You can take that to the bank.
I have no problem with the concept of someone dieing on the cross. Were they named Jesus, unknown, but very possible. I'm sure many with the name Jesus have been executed since.

Now was he the son of a god, born to a virgin? Naw, that's just not in the realm of possibilities.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:14 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,444,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
This Atheist would not want the symbol of christianity to memorialize my service to my country had I not returned.
I'm sure that a significant portion of non-christian's would feel the same, including those that follow a different religion.

The choices that my generation faced, given the fact the Viet Nam war was not in the defense of this country, was to either go to Canada, or serve this country. I chose to stay and serve, and the only appropriate symbol I find acceptable would be the US Flag.

Christians are free to believe whatever they want, but they are not free to memorialize all that died in service to this country with their symbol.
In going back and re-reading what she wrote over a year ago, June has to now agree with you (and those others who uphold the same opinion.) June was wrong: What would, in fact be far more appropriate (and respectful) would be to memorialize those fallen with a U.S. flag.

Her thanks for making her re-think her initial stance. She continues to feel tolerance for those of other religions/faiths, and so forth, but your point is well taken!

Take gentle care.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,293,939 times
Quote:
Check Josephus, Tacitus and Philo...they document Christ's death, on the cross. What you people fail to understand is that history records prophecies fulfilled, including Jesus' prophecy of the temple destruction some 38 years after His words uttered. 1 Clement substantiates this event before its fall, honoring them as Jesus' words, all written and circulated, BEFORE the Fall of the temple and city. You can take that to the bank.
Josephus was born in 37 AD. Tacitus was born in 56 AD. They could not document an event from 30 AD (or so) any more than I (born in 1969) can document the Korean War (1950-53). At best, they could repeat what they had heard happened. Hey, I can do that, too. I heard a UFO crashed in Roswell in 1947. Hey, it must be true! Voyageur 'documented' it!

As for Philo, he never documented any such thing. However, if you think he did -- and that is what you claim -- feel free to provide a cite.

Well?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Pls note that "red" is reserved for mods in doing "mod cuts" w/in posts. You are free to use any other color.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:50 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
that symbol only serves those who believe in that brand of mythology, since I do not, I find it intrusive and offensive.
And your scientific proof Christianity is a myth is . . . ............................?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,285,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Josephus was born in 37 AD. Tacitus was born in 56 AD. They could not document an event from 30 AD (or so) any more than I (born in 1969) can document the Korean War (1950-53). At best, they could repeat what they had heard happened. Hey, I can do that, too. I heard a UFO crashed in Roswell in 1947. Hey, it must be true! Voyageur 'documented' it!

As for Philo, he never documented any such thing. However, if you think he did -- and that is what you claim -- feel free to provide a cite.

Well?
So a historian must document something by visibly seeing it?

LOL

Old 01-05-2011, 07:55 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,293,939 times
Quote:
So a historian must document something by visibly seeing it?

LOL
No, a historian mustn't. But someone being held up as a primary source of a crucifixion, yeah, they need to witness it. If they don't, they're not a primary source. (do you know what that is?)

Your refusal to cite Philo's alleged documenting of Christ's crucifixion is duly noted. Now, are you going to do so, or are you going to continuing running away from your claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity