U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 PM

20,353 posts, read 15,737,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Same way you say that it is 1500 miles! How, then, do you know since OUR view of measurement is not the same as the 1st century? Same way you do when you say that God wants ALL to be saved but somehow will not save everyone.

I question how you can say the New Jerusalem will literally be 1200-1500 miles high! Do you understand how high that is? Yet there will literally be a city that reaches that height? Reminds me of the tower of Babel!!!!
Is it more than an inch???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,620,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post

Where are all the other planets inhabitants going to dwell if heaven is going to be here? Don't you think they have a right to live in their own heaven?
Can you expand on this? Are you talking about aliens...from other planets?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 PM

138 posts, read 149,910 times
This makes no sense. If there is a Heaven, do you really think it is some place in space? It would have to be in a sort of parallel universe or an part of an additional dimension. Most likely the later. What this means is that its "size" would have to have at least four dimensions, not including time. Height and length simply don't cover it. Furthermore, if the size was a finite quantity then souls would have to be singularities. That means, they would have no size. Therefore, it really wouldn't matter how big Heaven was. Soul, angels... would take no space.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,218,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Size matters to me regarding Heaven that is!!!!!

I remember one of my kids doing a project and getting the measurements of heaven (cubits) and coming to the conclusion that heaven was approximately the size of the state of North Carolina.

They are not here right now for me to ask.

Does anyone know the dimensions I think in Ezekial and Revealations that were given . . . . and what we can compare it's size to?
I believe you are confusing the new city of Jerusalem which shall come down from heaven with heaven. The word heaven or heavens only refers to the sky and space above, and the eternal sphere of the divine beyond that. The new city of Jerusalem was measured by John and was aprox. 1,500 miles wide, 1,500 mile long, and 1,500 miles tall ... That is to say when you translate the cubits into miles ...

Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,496,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Taking the Bible literally except when it's obviously presenting something symbolicly is an accepted rule for approaching the Bible.
Who says?

again Mike, I just don't think the word "obviously" fits at all with the book of Revelation.
My reading of the book tells me that NOTHING is "obviously" anything...
I dont think the writer of that book intended for anything he wrote to strike people as obviously this or obviously that.

Consider: that in that book the believers are said to have a "seal" on their foreheads...
Now go look in the mirror to find one to see it that is true......

The whole book, verse by verse has one symbol after another worked into the text.

So I think it is a bit silly to look at the thousand mile high BORG CUBE reference and think that "It must be literal"

Old 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,478,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post

So I think it is a bit silly to look at the thousand mile high BORG CUBE reference and think that "It must be literal"
Why not, why can't you take it literal? and to answer the question of the seal on believer's foreheads. That has not taken place yet and are you one of the 144,000? The seal is on them not us.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-09-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Why not, why can't you take it literal? and to answer the question of the seal on believer's foreheads. That has not taken place yet and are you one of the 144,000? The seal is on them not us.
How many times did Jesus tell us to forgive someone?
What was the number?
Is this number to be taken literal?

I dont think so.
In fact, I think that if you take it literal you destroy the point the Text was making.

I believe that very little if anything at all that we read in the book of Revelation should be taken as "Only literal" with no hint of the symbolic at all...

Look at Revelation 17 verse 7 where we see a nice lady riding on an animal with 7 heads...is that literal?
The point im making is that little or nothing at all in this book are to be thought of as being literal.
The writer of Revelation even makes this point even more clear, when at 17:9 he says that the heads of the animal are not really literal heads at all.

Just as when this same writer talks about the "Lamb" he is not really talking about a little sheep.

As far as I can see, NOTHING in Revelation is purely literal.
and is not meant to be.

Therfore I totally reject the idea that a giant BORG CUBE is what heaven looks like, or will one day land on the earth.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
. are you one of the 144,000? .
Does the Bible tell us that members of this 144,000 know they are listed in the Bible?

I dont think so....

Old 10-09-2009, 10:30 PM

revelation 14 : 10 talks about a type of wine people will drink.

Is this literal or symbolic?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,417,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
How many times did Jesus tell us to forgive someone?
What was the number?
Is this number to be taken literal?

I dont think so.
In fact, I think that if you take it literal you destroy the point the Text was making.

I believe that very little if anything at all that we read in the book of Revelation should be taken as "Only literal" with no hint of the symbolic at all...

Look at Revelation 17 verse 7 where we see a nice lady riding on an animal with 7 heads...is that literal?
The point im making is that little or nothing at all in this book are to be thought of as being literal.
The writer of Revelation even makes this point even more clear, when at 17:9 he says that the heads of the animal are not really literal heads at all.

Just as when this same writer talks about the "Lamb" he is not really talking about a little sheep.

As far as I can see, NOTHING in Revelation is purely literal.
and is not meant to be.

Therfore I totally reject the idea that a giant BORG CUBE is what heaven looks like, or will one day land on the earth.
Yes alan, heaven is a borg ship that is approx. 1500 miles high and 1500 miles long and wide.... it houses those who are alive when Christ comes and some dead believers as well.

Those who are taken alive from earth are all slaughtered en route to heaven and brought back (resurrected) to earth to dwell in the city!

Didn't you know that? It is plainly stated in scripture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity