U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2009, 09:14 PM
 
Location: UPSTATE SC
1,405 posts, read 2,108,702 times
Reputation: 636

Advertisements

Size matters to me regarding Heaven that is!!!!!

I remember one of my kids doing a project and getting the measurements of heaven (cubits) and coming to the conclusion that heaven was approximately the size of the state of North Carolina.

They are not here right now for me to ask.

Does anyone know the dimensions I think in Ezekial and Revealations that were given . . . . and what we can compare it's size to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 PM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,638,239 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Size matters to me regarding Heaven that is!!!!!

I remember one of my kids doing a project and getting the measurements of heaven (cubits) and coming to the conclusion that heaven was approximately the size of the state of North Carolina.

They are not here right now for me to ask.

Does anyone know the dimensions I think in Ezekial and Revealations that were given . . . . and what we can compare it's size to?
Hi lifesigns, I gave the answer in your other post where you asked. It's fifteen hundred miles on each side and the height is also fifteen hundred miles. It's the New Jerusalem. The dimensions are given in Rev. 21:16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 PM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,638,239 times
Reputation: 7403
Lifesigns, the New Jerusalem being 1500 miles on each side as well as its height could mean either a cube shape or a pyramid shape. I personally would prefer a pyramid shape as I think it's a more pleasing shape. Which would you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,131,452 times
Reputation: 666
Heaven is immeasurable and we cannot even begin to fathom it's size. Even the most exhalted angels do not know the size nor Jesus. It's actually still being formed and when all souls have returned to either the natural love heavens or the celestial heavens, then it will be finished. Your talking about billions upon billions of souls.

If your referring to Heaven on Earth then it will be the whole world. That just means we will have reached Light and Life on earth and sin will no longer be a part of it. All people dwelling on earth will be walking in God's light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 AM
 
3,067 posts, read 3,486,807 times
Reputation: 241
I dont believe in any of that stuff about heaven being the shape of some BORG CUBE....'

It's like , when the Bible tells us that there are angels at the 4 CORNERS of the earth, I dont believe that the earth actually has 4 corners, or any corners at all actually.


I do not believe that the things recorded in both Ezekiel and Revelation are to be viewed in such a manner as people can bring out a tape measure and track down things to the nearest inch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 AM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,638,239 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I dont believe in any of that stuff about heaven being the shape of some BORG CUBE....'

It's like , when the Bible tells us that there are angels at the 4 CORNERS of the earth, I dont believe that the earth actually has 4 corners, or any corners at all actually.


I do not believe that the things recorded in both Ezekiel and Revelation are to be viewed in such a manner as people can bring out a tape measure and track down things to the nearest inch.
Revelation contains both literal and symbolic things in it. The New Jerusalem is not Heaven; it is a city that currently is in Heaven and will in the future decend from Heaven and be suspended over the earth. The dimensions of the city are given in Revelation 21.

The principle is that the Bible is to be taken literally unless the context is obviously symbolic. When measurements are given, there is nothing symbolic about it. Revelation is giving us the description of the New Jerusalem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Revelation contains both literal and symbolic things in it. The New Jerusalem is not Heaven; it is a city that currently is in Heaven and will in the future decend from Heaven and be suspended over the earth. The dimensions of the city are given in Revelation 21.

The principle is that the Bible is to be taken literally unless the context is obviously symbolic. When measurements are given, there is nothing symbolic about it. Revelation is giving us the description of the New Jerusalem.
OMGoodness....do you ever read the book you profess so much literal belief in?

9Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, "Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."
The New Jerusalem

Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,

11 having the glory of God Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper.
12 It had a great and high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels; and names were written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel.
13 There were three gates on the east and three gates on the north and three gates on the south and three gates on the west. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundation stones, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Bride=Holy city (New Jerusalem)

Who is the bride? Christians are the bride and we are the New Jerusalem, the city...it is the church not some building coming down from heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM
 
Location: united states of america
241 posts, read 381,797 times
Reputation: 120
Default size

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Size matters to me regarding Heaven that is!!!!!

I remember one of my kids doing a project and getting the measurements of heaven (cubits) and coming to the conclusion that heaven was approximately the size of the state of North Carolina.

They are not here right now for me to ask.

Does anyone know the dimensions I think in Ezekial and Revealations that were given . . . . and what we can compare it's size to?


I dont know the size just as long as my mansion is up there waiting for me to occupy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 AM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,638,239 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
OMGoodness....do you ever read the book you profess so much literal belief in?

9Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and spoke with me, saying, "Come here, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb."
The New Jerusalem

Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,

11 having the glory of God Her brilliance was like a very costly stone, as a stone of crystal-clear jasper.
12 It had a great and high wall, with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels; and names were written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the sons of Israel.
13 There were three gates on the east and three gates on the north and three gates on the south and three gates on the west. 14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundation stones, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Bride=Holy city (New Jerusalem)

Who is the bride? Christians are the bride and we are the New Jerusalem, the city...it is the church not some building coming down from heaven.
The Church (believers are indeed the bride of Christ. In eternity Christians will inhabit the New Jerusalem.

Revelation 21:1 Tells us: ''AND I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. 2)And I saw the holy city,new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

v16) And the city is laid out as a square, and its length is as great as the width; and he measured the city with the rod, fifteen hundred miles; its length and width and height are equal.

The rest of Rev 21 then goes on to describe the city, New Jerusalem in greater detail.

Where is the logic in your question? No one said the Church isn't the bride. The subject was the city of New Jerusalem coming down from heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Church (believers are indeed the bride of Christ. In eternity Christians will inhabit the New Jerusalem.

Revelation 21:1 Tells us: ''AND I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. 2)And I saw the holy city,new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.

v16) And the city is laid out as a square, and its length is as great as the width; and he measured the city with the rod, fifteen hundred miles; its length and width and height are equal.

The rest of Rev 21 then goes on to describe the city, New Jerusalem in greater detail.

Where is the logic in your question? No one said the Church isn't the bride. The subject was the city of New Jerusalem coming down from heaven.
Did you not read the passage??? The church, the bride is the city, the New Jerusalem. These are not two separate things...they are one and the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top