U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:23 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,253,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Why do you universalist think that everyone thinks a church is a building? You say it over and over and time and time again we say, No yet you ask again? IT'S NOT!
Come on, get real....I know the church is not a building, but contrary to what you think, most Christians DON'T know this and think you actually have to attend some "Institutionalized Church Building" in order to be truly worshiping God.

Anyone who attends house church and has been asked by other Christians where they go to church get the the look like they have a third eye when they're told they attend church at home. I've seen it many times.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
She says that for the same reason all Universalists say it:

Creating the God you want is much easier than embracing the God that IS.
So, because I choose to worhip God in my home instead of sitting in a building called a "Church"...this means my God is somehow made up and different from the God you worship?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,482,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
So, because I choose to worhip God in my home instead of sitting in a building called a "Church"...this means my God is somehow made up and different from the God you worship?
Uh...no....and that's not what I said....it's also, coincidentally, not what you said.

You suggested that the poster remove him/herself from any organized church and discover God 'on their own'.

As fundamentalist has pointed out, that is completely opposite of our instruction from God's Word. We are warned against that and encouraged to be in the fellowship and under the authority of other believers who teach, encourage and edify us.

Can we do that in our homes with other Christians? Sure.

Iron sharpens iron and all, ya know?

Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Uh...no....and that's not what I said....it's also, coincidentally, not what you said.

You suggested that the poster remove him/herself from any organized church and discover God 'on their own'.

As fundamentalist has pointed out, that is completely opposite of our instruction from God's Word. We are warned against that and encouraged to be in the fellowship and under the authority of other believers who teach, encourage and edify us.

Can we do that in our homes with other Christians? Sure.

Iron sharpens iron and all, ya know?
Come on...you and Fundy knew exactly what I meant...but I guess I have to keep in mind that "literalists" will nit pick apart everything anyone says.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
I tried a few different types of churches and am confused. Different ones say different things yet all claim to be Christian, and right. So how do you know which one is right? Give me some examples of your church and tell me what makes it the right one over other ones.

Thanks.
Back to the OP:

If you're really interested in finding 'true' Christianity, picj up your bible and begin reading it. Then find a church that preaches and teaches the scriptues written in the bible. You'll find them elevating Christ above all else and you'll sense the love of Christ in the body of believers.

My best to you on your quest.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Come on...you and Fundy knew exactly what I meant...but I guess I have to keep in mind that "literalists" will nit pick apart everything anyone says.
If you are suggesting that we 'literalists' actually believe what we read and are slow to add or take anything away from it......yes, please do keep that in mind. It's the same way we approach God's Word.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
If you are suggesting that we 'literalists' actually believe what we read and are slow to add or take anything away from it......yes, please do keep that in mind. It's the same way we approach God's Word.
Really I've listed several versus below where "literal" statements were made by Jesus himself and His apostles regarding His return to the 1st century generation...did you "literally" believe any of these statements?

Mt 23:36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation."

Mt 24:34 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

Mark 13:30 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

Luke 11:49-51 "For this reason also the wisdom of God said, 'I will send to them prophets and apostles, and some of them they will kill and some they will persecute,

so that the blood of all the prophets, shed since the foundation of the world, may be charged against this generation, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house of God; yes, I tell you, it shall be charged against this generation.'

Luke 21:32 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place."

Rom 16:20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John,

Rev 3:11 "I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown."

Rev 22:6-7 And he said to me, "These words are faithful and true"; and the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show to His bond-servants the things which must soon take place.
"And behold, I am coming quickly Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book."
"And behold, I am coming quickly Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book."

I thought not....and I rest my case.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I thought not....and I rest my case.

What does that mean? Does that mean you just asked me a question and then answered it for me?

Nice.

For the record (though it's obvious you don't care or you'd let me respond before answering for me), YES! I believe all those things....I litereally do!

Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
What does that mean? Does that mean you just asked me a question and then answered it for me?

Nice.

For the record (though it's obvious you don't care or you'd let me respond before answering for me), YES! I believe all those things....I litereally do!
So you believe Christ's return was in the 1st century just like He said it would be?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
So you believe Christ's return was in the 1st century just like He said it would be?
I believe everything Jesus said. But He did not say He would return in the 1st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or