U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,848,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
I tried a few different types of churches and am confused. Different ones say different things yet all claim to be Christian, and right. So how do you know which one is right? Give me some examples of your church and tell me what makes it the right one over other ones.

Thanks.
If you are talking about minor doctrinal or style differences between denominations then it isn't a matter of what is right (implying that others are wrong) but a matter of what is right for you.
The church I attend now isn't right over the others, it is right for me/my family. Other Christian churches are right for other folks.

If you find someone saying their church is right while other Christian churches are not, their church probably isn't the 'right' one.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:34 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,958,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
I tried a few different types of churches and am confused. Different ones say different things yet all claim to be Christian, and right. So how do you know which one is right? Give me some examples of your church and tell me what makes it the right one over other ones. Thanks.
Perhaps the right church for you is the one God has told you is right for you. If He hasn't responded to your sincere prayers about any particular denomination yet, and you did do your homework, maybe you're on the right path, but just haven't arrived yet...

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1: 5

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/james/1/5#5

Old 10-09-2009, 09:51 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,130,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I believe everything Jesus said. But He did not say He would return in the 1st century.
He didn't?? It sure looks like He said it to me.

Mt 23:36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation." What were the "all these things" to come upon the generation Jesus was speaking to?

Mt 24:34 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." What were the "all things" that were to take place before the generation Jesus was speaking to would die?

Mark 13:30 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." What were the "all things" that were to take place before the generation Jesus was speaking to would die?

Luke 11:49-51 "For this reason also the wisdom of God said, 'I will send to them prophets and apostles, and some of them they will kill and some they will persecute,

so that the blood of all the prophets, shed since the foundation of the world, may be charged against this generation, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house of God; yes, I tell you, it shall be charged against this generation.' What was charged against the generation Jesus was speaking to and what was the judgment?

Luke 21:32 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place." What were the "all things" that were to take place before the generation He was speaking to would die?

Rom 16:20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. When did God crush Satan under his feet?

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, When did the things that Jesus said must soon take place, take place?

Rev 3:11 "I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown." When did Jesus come quickly?

Rev 22:6-7 And he said to me, "These words are faithful and true"; and the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show to His bond-servants the things which must soon take place.
"And behold, I am coming quickly Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book." When did Jesus come quickly?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,271,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
He didn't?? It sure looks like He said it to me.

Mt 23:36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation." What were the "all these things" to come upon the generation Jesus was speaking to?

Mt 24:34 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." What were the "all things" that were to take place before the generation Jesus was speaking to would die?

Mark 13:30 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." What were the "all things" that were to take place before the generation Jesus was speaking to would die?

Luke 11:49-51 "For this reason also the wisdom of God said, 'I will send to them prophets and apostles, and some of them they will kill and some they will persecute,

so that the blood of all the prophets, shed since the foundation of the world, may be charged against this generation, from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house of God; yes, I tell you, it shall be charged against this generation.' What was charged against the generation Jesus was speaking to and what was the judgment?

Luke 21:32 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place." What were the "all things" that were to take place before the generation He was speaking to would die?

Rom 16:20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. When did God crush Satan under his feet?

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show to His bond-servants, the things which must soon take place; and He sent and communicated it by His angel to His bond-servant John, When did the things that Jesus said must soon take place, take place?

Rev 3:11 "I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown." When did Jesus come quickly?

Rev 22:6-7 And he said to me, "These words are faithful and true"; and the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show to His bond-servants the things which must soon take place.
"And behold, I am coming quickly Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book." When did Jesus come quickly?
If you'll start a new thread, I'll be happy to participate....though it might be later for me to respond since it appears we're going to deal with a lot of scripture at one time.

DM me the link to the new thread or simply post it here so I'll see it.

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,473,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
These are the essentials of salvation that most Christian sects if not all agree on for salvation.

Primary Essentials

1) Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).
2) Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).
3) Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2; 5:1-4).
4) The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus according to the scriptures (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).
5) There is only one God (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8)

Secondary Essentials

6) God exists as a Trinity of persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (See Trinity)
7) Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (nature of incarnation)
8) Jesus is the only way to God the Father (John 14:6).
That's exactly it.

The essentials are what define what is "Christian". While there are many denominations that have disagreements, you'll be hard pressed to find any denomination considering another one to be "wrong" about the essentials. Baptists might not agree 100% with Lutherans, but they will readily admit that Lutherans are Christians. Methodists will accept Catholics as Christians, Catholics accept even Pentecostals as Christians, etc.

So which church (if any of the traditional, mainstream churches) that you choose to attend will depend on your view of the non-essentials. As long as the church you join (or form with other Christians) is solid in the essentials of Christianity, it is Christian, and that is what really matters.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM

37,658 posts, read 25,360,569 times
Quote:
Back to the OP:

If you're really interested in finding 'true' Christianity, picj up your bible and begin reading it. Then find a church that preaches and teaches the scriptues written in the bible. You'll find them elevating Christ above all else and you'll sense the love of Christ in the body of believers.

My best to you on your quest.
Unfortunately . . . in the literalist "churches" they elevate Jehovah AS IF they were elevatng Jesus and completely ignore Jesus's injunction not to "pour new wine into old wineskins" . . . and they have been ignoring it for 2000+ years. The TRUE NATURE of God is revealed in JESUS . . . NOT JEHOVAH.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,848,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
These are the essentials of salvation that most Christian sects if not all agree on for salvation.

Primary Essentials

1) Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).
2) Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).
3) Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2; 5:1-4).
4) The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus according to the scriptures (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).
5) There is only one God (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8)

Secondary Essentials

6) God exists as a Trinity of persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (See Trinity)
7) Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (nature of incarnation)
8) Jesus is the only way to God the Father (John 14:6).

Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unfortunately . . . in the literalist "churches" they elevate Jehovah AS IF they were elevatng Jesus and completely ignore Jesus's injunction not to "pour new wine into old wineskins" . . . and they have been ignoring it for 2000+ years. The TRUE NATURE of God is revealed in JESUS . . . NOT JEHOVAH.
I attend a literalist church and what you describe above is false. Want to come to church with me?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,413,898 times
Quote:
Back to the OP:

If you're really interested in finding 'true' Christianity, picj up your bible and begin reading it. Then find a church that preaches and teaches the scriptues written in the bible. You'll find them elevating Christ above all else and you'll sense the love of Christ in the body of believers.

My best to you on your quest.
Pick up the bible and read it on your own? Isn't that what Christygrl said and you criticized her post saying that is not scriptural? So when you say it, it is scriptural but if another says it... then it's following a made up God?

LOL

Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Pick up the bible and read it on your own? Isn't that what Christygrl said and you criticized her post saying that is not scriptural? So when you say it, it is scriptural but if another says it... then it's following a made up God?

LOL
While you're 'LOL'ing, why don't you actually read what I posted.

Let me re-post it and bold it for clarification for you:

Quote:
If you're really interested in finding 'true' Christianity, pick up your bible and begin reading it. Then find a church that preaches and teaches the scriptues written in the bible. You'll find them elevating Christ above all else and you'll sense the love of Christ in the body of believers.
Catch that 'then find a church' part?

That is what the Op was asking about, ya know?

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or