U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:40 AM

4,325 posts, read 5,246,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
I tried a few different types of churches and am confused. Different ones say different things yet all claim to be Christian, and right. So how do you know which one is right? Give me some examples of your church and tell me what makes it the right one over other ones.

Thanks.
The right church will practice and teach love above everything else. The right church will teach instead of preach and lecture about what is right and what is wrong. The right church will not judge according to it's standards and will be accepting of everyone. The right church will be considerate, kind, loving, forgiving and compassionate. The right church will teach you to love as Jesus loved. The right church will lead you to God instead of away. The right church is within you when you listen to that still small voice that will lead and guide you. The right church will teach you how to listen to and talk to God.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,639,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
While you're 'LOL'ing, why don't you actually read what I posted.

Let me re-post it and bold it for clarification for you:

Catch that 'then find a church' part?

That is what the Op was asking about, ya know?

LOL

That is what I'm talking about....
Christygrl said:
"I can firmly state that you'd be better off staying home and seeking God on your own. "

You said:
"If you're really interested in finding 'true' Christianity, picj (sic) up your bible and begin reading it."

I assumed that when you said pick up your bible and read it...you meant on your own. Staying home and seeking God in the bible before making a decision is what Christygrl was saying. If then you want to go to a church...well Christygrl doesn't recommend organized churches, you do...

The same thing was said. You just took offense to the fact that she denounced church gatherings as frivolous. The same thing can be said of you. You think private home gatherings are useless... but you clarified that you feel it is possible to worship God in homes rather than churches: "Can we do that in our homes with other Christians? Sure."

You agree with her entirely. Do you have trouble discerning opinion from gospel? That could be your problem.

Study to show yourself approved...where two or more are gathered in his name...

Your disagreement with her opinion is fine, but to say that she actually follows another gospel is judgmental and wrong.

You said: "As fundamentalist has pointed out, that is completely opposite of our instruction from God's Word. We are warned against that and encouraged to be in the fellowship and under the authority of other believers who teach, encourage and edify us."

Can you see what I mean now?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:06 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,470,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The same thing was said. You just took offense to the fact that she denounced church gatherings as frivolous. The same thing can be said of you. You think private home gatherings are useless... but you clarified that you feel it is possible to worship God in homes rather than churches: "Can we do that in our homes with other Christians? Sure."
What?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Where did I say home gatherings are useless? I love home gatherings and participate in them.

You're reading into what I wrote rather than just reading what I wrote. There's no double standard or hidden agenda....my words are very clear.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:30 PM

31,943 posts, read 20,983,737 times
Quote:
What?

Where did I say home gatherings are useless? I love home gatherings and participate in them.

You're reading into what I wrote rather than just reading what I wrote. There's no double standard or hidden agenda....my words are very clear.
Under the umbrella of your denomination ? or a non affiliated home meeting of believers ?

Old 10-09-2009, 03:10 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,155,939 times
I was raised in a Catholic Church, and at that time my parents did not go to church, but sent me to Catholic School and Church with other people on Sundays.

Left the church, had not faith was agnostic.

Long story short . . . since God was good enough to give me faith, and since I moved to another state, far away from all family and friends . . . I really also wanted to be with other believers, and for the connection for me and the kids (husband agnostic).

I found a church with a great youth program, and one of my kids still attends somewhat regularly, and I have a memberhsip with them . . . but it's a paper membership . . . when I want to fellowship, or be part of a worship service, I just pick a church and go, or do a Bible study with the kids, or come here.

I haven't found a literal church builing yet, but I undertstand the need for one. Coming to this forum has provided me a way to fellowship and learn about Christ from others, and also is a learning process that helps me grow on my spiritual path.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM

7,806 posts, read 10,672,496 times
Okay folks, here's the drill:

The next off topic, rude, and/or sarcastic post, and the thread ends up the way all such threads end up. (Closed. And June hates to close threads.)

Can I hear a "yes June?"

Good.

C'mon, it's Friday night...

Old 10-09-2009, 04:30 PM

124 posts, read 281,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
These are the essentials of salvation that most Christian sects if not all agree on for salvation.

Primary Essentials

1) Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).
2) Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).
3) Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2; 5:1-4).
4) The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus according to the scriptures (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).
5) There is only one God (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8)

Secondary Essentials

6) God exists as a Trinity of persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (See Trinity)
7) Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (nature of incarnation)
8) Jesus is the only way to God the Father (John 14:6).

Primary Essentials? Secondary Essentials? Are those phrases indicated in the bible? So it is essential to believe in the trinity? How so?

Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,689,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
Primary Essentials? Secondary Essentials? Are those phrases indicated in the bible? So it is essential to believe in the trinity? How so?
This is what we call a systematic theology that helps determine the important things as opposed to waisting time fighting over non essentials like baptism, sabbath. These essentials are vital to cutting through the dogma and getting to the truth.
Do you have to be in all aspects of the the Trinity? No but there are certain aspects of the Trinity one must believe in order to be saved.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,639,578 times
Quote:
What?

Anyway... my sentiment was that your "brand" of Christianity is the "right" one according to you. So that anything Christygrl said in contrast to that was deemed not the "right brand" of Christianity. Non-affiliated home "church" seemed to be "useless" to you when I read your post.

Does that clear up the point? Both posters said to study the word yourself before turning to another fellowship environment.

Hardly matters now that it has taken 4 posts to clarify some statements.

yikes... Katjonjj apologizes to June and thread.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 PM

124 posts, read 281,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This is what we call a systematic theology that helps determine the important things as opposed to waisting time fighting over non essentials like baptism, sabbath. These essentials are vital to cutting through the dogma and getting to the truth.
Do you have to be in all aspects of the the Trinity? No but there are certain aspects of the Trinity one must believe in order to be saved.

Really? So you think that apostolics who don't believe in the trinity are rejected by god? That would make no sense at all if they loved god with all their heart. How sad that god would condemn people for not understanding stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or