Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 AM

124 posts, read 333,757 times

Advertisements

I tried a few different types of churches and am confused. Different ones say different things yet all claim to be Christian, and right. So how do you know which one is right? Give me some examples of your church and tell me what makes it the right one over other ones.

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:00 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
The right church should treat the Bible as the word of God and make sure that you understand the doctrines by regular readings of scripture by the entire congregation. They should NOT promote any doctrines that are not based in scripture.

The right church should believe in the gospel, that Jesus Christ died for our sins and that only by believing in him and by accepting him into our hearts can we be saved.

The right church should promote the spreading of the gospel through missions, outreach programs, visitations, etc.

The right church should encourage believers to be baptized (and only support baptism of consenting individuals) as professions of their faith to the rest of the congregation.

The right church should collect and appropriately administer tithes as outlined in scripture.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times
I have to agree with superk. The Bible itself is the final authority, not the church. The church must not deviate from God's word. Outreach to the unsaved and the poor should be priorities. And like superk said, this church should preach to its congregation with clear messages that help each member grow.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:34 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
I tried a few different types of churches and am confused. Different ones say different things yet all claim to be Christian, and right. So how do you know which one is right? Give me some examples of your church and tell me what makes it the right one over other ones.

Thanks.
After being in "institutionalized churches" of many different denominations over many years...I can firmly state that you'd be better off staying home and seeking God on your own. Churches are nothing more than social get togethers on Sunday morning where all the good little Sunday Christians flock together for an hour or so to figure out what they can do for themselves, i.e., build bigger buildings for their entertainment, buy better sound systems for their entertainment, plan their picnics and festivals for their entertainment, etc...while I know that some churches attempt to do mission work, it is sorely lacking in most churches. Even the biggest church out here in AL only uses a minute portion of what it collects in offerings for mission work and they have just completed a huge $29 million renovation and rebuilding...can you imagine how many people could have been helped by that kind of money?

The last church I left had a widow, whose husband had been dying of cancer for 2 years prior to his death, which meant there was no income whatsoever coming in to the home since she had to take care of him and their small children. They were in desparate financial need and I was told by the pastor that they could announce her need in church and take up a special offering for her which would have been complete embarrassing for her. Prior to this pastor being at the church there was a fund that was specifically set aside for church members and I was told that they had done away with that. From what I've gleaned in the NT...the only thing we are supposed to be doing with any money collected is to help the widows and the orphans...try as I might, I can't find anyplace where it says the money should be spent on anything but those in need. This is just one example, of many, hypocricies I found while attending "institutional church".

So, while you might be able to find a church that has good entertainment and a feel good message...it won't give you the true spiritual food that you need to grow to maturity in Christ and I would much rather know that the money God graciously bestows on me is being spent to help those who are truly in need and not being spent for the entertainment of the flock.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:

Thanks.
These are the essentials of salvation that most Christian sects if not all agree on for salvation.

Primary Essentials

1) Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).
2) Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).
3) Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2; 5:1-4).
4) The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus according to the scriptures (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).
5) There is only one God (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8)

Secondary Essentials

6) God exists as a Trinity of persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (See Trinity)
7) Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (nature of incarnation)
8) Jesus is the only way to God the Father (John 14:6).

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 10-09-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
After being in "institutionalized churches" of many different denominations over many years...I can firmly state that you'd be better off staying home and seeking God on your own.
Why would you say that? that is not scriptural

(Hebrews 10:25)
25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

(Acts 2:42)
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

(Hebrews 3:13)
13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.

(1 Corinthians 12:27)
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

(1 Corinthians 12:21–26)
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Why would you say that? that is not scriptural

(Hebrews 10:25)
25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

(Acts 2:42)
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

(Hebrews 3:13)
13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.

(1 Corinthians 12:27)
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

(1 Corinthians 12:21–26)
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor.
I fellowship with many Christians who also are not involved in any type of "Institutionalized Church"...we spend time praying, worshiping and studying scripture in our homes. Do you think one has to go to a building called a "church" to know God and worship Him

Old 10-09-2009, 06:57 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Do they preach Jesus first, last, & always? That's how you decide.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I fellowship with many Christians who also are not involved in any type of "Institutionalized Church"...we spend time praying, worshiping and studying scripture in our homes. Do you think one has to go to a building called a "church" to know God and worship Him
Why do you universalist think that everyone thinks a church is a building? You say it over and over and time and time again we say, No yet you ask again? IT'S NOT!

You told the OP to seek God on HIS OWN? You said, nothing about assembly of any saints.
Quote:
I can firmly state that you'd be better off staying home and seeking God on your own.
We never forsake assembly of the saints. House worship IS CHURCH and many are doing it including the fundamentalists, personally I think it is futile since the membership is eventually going to grow to big for the house and eventually you will end up in a dreaded bigger building.

As long as you have a real teacher instructing you and not people just making stuff up as they go along because they feel the Holy Spirit "led" them then you have church

Old 10-09-2009, 07:15 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Why would you say that?
She says that for the same reason all Universalists say it:

Creating the God you want is much easier than embracing the God that IS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity