U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,686,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Where have all the Christians gone

The very fact that this aspect of "Where are the Christians" is seen as an organizational membership thing simply gives the evidence that the people concerned over this have no clue.

Perhaps the issue is knowing people who have left churches pursuing God do far more in the world than they ever did warming a pew.

However the clueless see someone leaving church as a rejection of God, furthering the knowledge that they are clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,488,995 times
Why Christians need a church home...

I forge a lot of steel to make hunting knives in my free time.
I use coal to heat the forge with.
There is noting like looking into the fire and watching all the hot coals heating the steel to cherry red.

However if you reach in and drag out of the fire one small lump of coal and place it on the table alone, you will notice that it soon cools.

Christians are the same way.
around other Christians we burn brightly and have a purpose.
but alone we soon cool and become pointless.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:26 AM

13,465 posts, read 21,214,758 times
Speaking only for myself, the Christians are still alive, well and very active.Perhaps for the first times in our Christian lives..

I dropped out of "belonging" to A Church for many reasons and I now realize that all those reasons were valid because they paid more attention to the building, and keeping people at that building by varying means. Often people are kept there by the entertainment..Maybe it is the pride that sometimes comes with being one of the leaders. Could be out of fear that without this particular group one is "lost", never to be in the presence of God except to be sent to eternal punishment.

I was bound to specific buildings with a specific name on it for many many years..I was held there by leaders who told me I was unworthy to do this, say that, make this decision or that one, because I was pretty much created for one thing ....to help my H and to trust and do his decision about anything biblical or spiritual that I questioned. I could ask those questions at home, never in their building in which I was to remain silent on those matters.

All those years when I felt far away,far apart and unworthy of Him, I now realize that He was with me the whole time when I studied alone and in secret the scriptures, the historical books, etc..He built my confidence , my trust and my courage to know that I was loved by Him, and that His Grace gave me my salvation, not any works that man said I had to do.

Many Christians are returning to the practices of the early churches that were planted in homes, by the Apostles with no hierarchy except Christ and worship is inclusive of all members of the body, not just a paid or voluntary few..

Many Christians, myself included are finding members of His church are not necessarily bound to certain named buildings with certain rituals and rules of worship within..I have found brothers and sisters in Christ in many places, in many buildings with different names and even on the internet.

I think He is big enough to keep His church together in this chaotic world.

JMHO...again

Old 10-10-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post

Christians are the same way.
around other Christians we burn brightly and have a purpose.
but alone we soon cool and become pointless.

Burn brightly and have a purpose of self admiration, sure.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 AM

2,331 posts, read 2,954,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Speaking only for myself, the Christians are still alive, well and very active.Perhaps for the first times in our Christian lives..

I dropped out of "belonging" to A Church for many reasons and I now realize that all those reasons were valid because they paid more attention to the building, and keeping people at that building by varying means. Often people are kept there by the entertainment..Maybe it is the pride that sometimes comes with being one of the leaders. Could be out of fear that without this particular group one is "lost", never to be in the presence of God except to be sent to eternal punishment.

I was bound to specific buildings with a specific name on it for many many years....
Very nice post, thank-you, I am certain that many readers will personally relate to what you have to say.

It is my thinking that all sincere followers of Jesus Christ should not only get to know him personally as best they can, but should also try to find through humble and sincere prayer and possibly fasting where he wants them to serve. They may be surprised that it's quite different than where they thought they were planted for good...

Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
3. What can be done to lessen the interdenominational bickering and bigotry that is so commonly expressed on religion discussion boards?
I wonder what would happen if Christians of all denominations on the City Data board for a while suspended all the conflicting beliefs and understandings about GOD and salvation gleaned from various interpretations of the bible, church leaders, and scholarly media, and focussed for a while solely on JESUS CHRIST?

He's not that difficult to understand because we know that during his earthly stay on this planet he walked and talked and ate and slept and spoke and felt pain etc. just as we do. And I think we can all accept that he worked though an atoning sacrifice of some kind for all of us, and that he died and was resurrected.

What would happen if we focussed on JESUS CHRIST and what we think he would have us do with our personal lives now that final preparations for his Second Coming are so obviously taking place during our turn on earth?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if Christians of all denominations on the City Data board for a while suspended all the conflicting beliefs and understandings about GOD and salvation gleaned from various interpretations of the bible, church leaders, and scholarly media, and focussed for a while solely on JESUS CHRIST?

He's not that difficult to understand because we know that during his earthly stay on this planet he walked and talked and ate and slept and spoke and felt pain etc. just as we do. And I think we can all accept that he worked though an atoning sacrifice of some kind for all of us, and that he died and was resurrected.

What would happen if we focussed on JESUS CHRIST and what we think he would have us do with our personal lives now that final preparations for his Second Coming are so obviously taking place during our turn on earth?

I can start, I love Jesus and believe that he will accomplish his mission 100%.

Now if your asking me to dumb my beliefs down from that point, I guess the conflict will have to continue, because I see no spiritual purpose in such a thing.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:54 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,819,724 times
Quote:

• They would see Jesus as our subsitute, not our example. Otherwise be perfect (present tense)
  • They would see Jesus not holding forgiveness as something conditional(if I do this, if I'm worthy, if I use my agency.... if I, if I, if I...)
  • They would hear Jesus say..."the work that God requires is this...to believe"
  • They would hear Jesus say... " At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage;" no eternal families
  • They would hear Jesus say...I am the way to heaven, not an organization or church
  • They would hear Jesus say... be perfect (present tense)...how? Jesus is our subsitute
  • They would hear that Jesus ... is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
  • They would hear that Jesus... accended to heaven an now fills the universe (omni-present...which only God does)
  • They would hear that..conditions were ready for his return at anytime since pentecost
  • They would hear that Jesus...holds unbelief accountable "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-10-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 AM

30,230 posts, read 19,996,777 times
Quote:

It would still continue because some believe He is unconditional love towards all of mankind and His grace is infinite , while others do not and would have you believe He distances Himself from those who do live up to His standards.
Which by the way is hard to grasp when He came to the world and met the world in it's degradation.

6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
  • They would see Jesus as our subsitute, not our example. Otherwise be perfect (present tense)
  • They would see Jesus not holding forgiveness as something conditional(if I do this, if I'm worthy, if I use my agency.... if I, if I, if I...)
  • They would hear Jesus say..."the work that God requires is this...to believe....
I guess you are right, we'd still be stuck on theology, each trying to convince the other that our particular package of interpretations and beliefs is the whole or at least truer truth. So, I suppose, God must love us better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or