U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2009, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Utah
2,331 posts, read 2,954,055 times
Reputation: 221

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I can start, I love Jesus and believe that he will accomplish his mission 100%.

Now if your asking me to dumb my beliefs down from that point, I guess the conflict will have to continue, because I see no spiritual purpose in such a thing.
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of keeping to ourselves all the diversity of conflicting beliefs and understandings that come with the concepts "God" and "salvation" and just focussing for a while on communications about developing and maintaining an individual relationship with Jesus Christ, and a working acquaintance with the things he asks us to physically DO in this lifetime. (Random acts of kindness for example.)

Would that be viable? Would that help move Christians on this board in the direction of a more harmonious relationship with each other? Any other suggestions to show doubters that it is possible for Christians of many denominations to present themselves in a more loving Christlike manner?

Or is constant conflict the vital fuel that feeds discussion boards and all is well, with the help of a few good moderators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,684,959 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of keeping to ourselves all the diversity of conflicting beliefs and understandings that come with the concepts "God" and "salvation" and just focussing for a while on communications about developing and maintaining an individual relationship with Jesus Christ, and a working acquaintance with the things he asks us to physically DO in this lifetime. (Random acts of kindness for example.)

Would that be viable? Would that help move Christians on this board in the direction of a more harmonious relationship with each other? Any other suggestions to show doubters that it is possible for Christians of many denominations to present themselves in a more loving Christlike manner?

Or is constant conflict the vital fuel that feeds discussion boards and all is well, with the help of a few good moderators?


It's up to others. My very first post here was in reference to the wonderful news that Jesus is the savior of all mankind and will accomplish that task. If someone else believes in Jesus , great, Salvation is through Christ, all are saved through Christ. No one bypasses judgment or Jesus.

There are some that don't seem to like that. Again, what direction do you want me to go that is viable? Do you want me to compromise my beliefs or not?

I won't, so if your ok with us both believing in Christ, then we have nothing to disagree on.

I have been down this road before and usually someone will want me to compromise my beliefs, while they continue to maintain theirs in the issue of "getting along". Then it gets twisted around as if I am the problem when I won't compromise my beliefs other than being on a path of continual learning. But to just change direction because you don't want me to take issue with something you say, then forget it.

A fake presentation of our unity is out of the question.

So now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,453,633 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Too many churches have watered down the Gospel in an attempt to be "user-friendly". A watered-down Gospel is not worth having!
SAY IT AGAIN!! And again, and.......


Is there a button to rep a person repeatedly for 10 days straight? Should implement one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,823 posts, read 9,816,901 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I guess you are right, we'd still be stuck on theology, each trying to convince the other that our particular package of interpretations and beliefs is the whole or at least truer truth. So, I suppose, God must love us better...
If it were only so, but its not. Both are not true.
If you would do what you say, and just focus on Jesus teaching, it would be very apparent the beliefs of Mormonism contradicts Jesus of the Bible.

As phazelwood said..A fake presentation of our unity is out of the question.

We don't believe the same Jesus, nor God.
Your god is offers conditional forgiveness, a progression in heaven
Christianity's God offers unconditional forgiveness, no progession based on worthiness.

That however doesn't mean you can't begin to believe Jesus of the Bible.

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-10-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,201 posts, read 19,986,915 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Christianity's God offers unconditional forgiveness, no progession based on worthiness.
Forgive me if this is off topic but God actually did something far better than offer unconditional love He actually demonstrated it. He actually proved that He loved mankind unconditionally.

6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,823 posts, read 9,816,901 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Forgive me if this is off topic but God actually did something far better than offer unconditional love He actually demonstrated it. He actually proved that He loved mankind unconditionally.

6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
I agree, that's to be understood.

Salvation is through the message of the cross.... "Christ died for the ungodly".
The more that message is denied, the bigger non-christian and\or cults grow.

Last edited by twin.spin; 10-10-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Utah
2,331 posts, read 2,954,055 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
If it were only so, but its not. Both are not true. If you would do what you say, and just focus on Jesus teaching, it would be very apparent the beliefs of Mormonism contradicts Jesus of the Bible.

As phazelwood said..A fake presentation of our unity is out of the question.

We don't believe the same Jesus, nor God.
Your god is offers conditional forgiveness, a progression in heaven
Christianity's God offers unconditional forgiveness, no progession based on worthiness.

That however doesn't mean you can't begin to believe Jesus of the Bible.
There you go again spin, pretending that you speak for "Christianity" when you know there are 38,000 different versions.

This was in my opinion an enjoyable thread until you, like just a very few others on this board often do, manifested your intolerance and bigotry towards other followers of Jesus Christ who don't believe exactly as you do.

I have often invited you to take your views to an appropriate thread where I can respond civilly point by specific point without being off topic to try to find out what is really behind your fear of what Latter-day Saints believe to be true. But I guess you prefer to avoid the challenge.


Here's a link to an appropriate thread just in case you're up to a civil on-topic discussion this time:


http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...t-discuss.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Utah
2,331 posts, read 2,954,055 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
1. Do you want me to compromise my beliefs...?
2. So now what?
1. No.

2. Enjoy the board as is, it's not likely to change. City Data is the most civil religion board I have found anywhere yet. And we don't see here much of the sometimes biased micromanagement from volunteer moderators that often drives users away from other religion boards in droves. I like it here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 02:36 PM
 
7,788 posts, read 10,450,484 times
Reputation: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post

Where have all the Christians gone?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

They might as well be atheist...you are either His child or a child of the devil.

Please tell June that she is having a visual hallucination.

Sometimes even June has to wonder what the motivation is behind basic human interactions. Sometimes June just has to wonder (within the context of the OP, no less!) what it is that drives the hearts, minds (and intentions contained within both) of Christians.

Isn't it somehow ironic that in a thread asking about the diminishing numbers of Christians, and what might or might not account for that, or be done about it, June is told that she, along with others, may as well be an atheist?

June is.

However.....

Fundamentalist: You know darn well that June has a "soft spot" in her heart for you. But truly, have you ever stopped to think about what you posted, above? Do you not see the inherent irony in it against the backdrop of the OP? You see, apparently people are leaving the Church. Apparently that is a problem and a real and vital concern for many. But here is what crossed June's mind when stumbling upon this thread:

Within the overall context of what accounts for the numbers of people who are leaving the Church, it could conversely be asked what accounts for individuals not replacing them in number. Would there not be reason to think that new members would be joining, such that a more well rounded representation in numbers, statistically, could be shown to offset that? --And if not, why not?

Granted, the above may merely be an "academic question." June wonders, though. June wonders at the notion of her reading (on this forum, especially) that she may as well remain an atheist. Okay. --But granted, June's gotta be honest and tell you here: It's somewhat confusing. I mean, if you want June to remain an atheist, okay. But even so, June can't help but find that a little...well....odd.

Lastly, in spite of herself, June just needed to point this one out:

June had no idea that she was a " child of the devil."

-June can only imagine how encouraging nonbelievers who might otherwise have considered Christianity might find that...

But so much for the decline in numbers...

But then, in pondering the OP, June again needs to go back to her very first statement in this post, where she wondered about human motivation, and think about it within the context of what you state, below:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist

anyone can be a member in church

-And ask herself how motivated she would ever be to become one.

You are absolutely right: Anyone could be a member of a church.

Thank God for that.


Take gentle thoughtful care,

June: Alleged Child of the Devil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,201 posts, read 19,986,915 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post



June had no idea that she was a " child of the devil.".
June didn't you learn anything from Beloved57's posts .Only joking.

I can only speak for myself , but i certainly do not believe you are a child of the devil.

Sorry if this is off topic , couldn't resist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top