U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:34 PM

124 posts, read 271,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Generally speaking..

Rules setup by man..

I mean.. how can WE as filthy, rotten individuals (so I'm told) be trusted to come up with the rules of language.. and then use those rules to interpret scripture correctly?

I guess the answer is .. there is no answer and thus we default to our own minds.. minds that are filthy.. and rotten.. and repugnant.. etc etc..

Ruh-rohh..

EDIT: ~actually I just find it both funny and interesting when people here.. and elsewhere.. state "you are taking the scripture out of context" combined with "where is the scripture to support that view".. when in as best as I can find.. there is no scripture saying "take scripture in context"..

like a fabulous circular reference..

but.. thats why I asked the question.. maybe there is something there that I don't know about..

This has me smiling! This is kind of how I feel inside sometimes. I always think that the bible makes us out to be pieces of trash...so why would god love us? I don't love my trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,448,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
This has me smiling! This is kind of how I feel inside sometimes. I always think that the bible makes us out to be pieces of trash...so why would god love us? I don't love my trash.
How can you truly appreciate God's love for if you think you are precious gems to Him and it gives God the glory.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
How can you truly appreciate God's love for if you think you are precious gems to Him and it gives God the glory.

What? Rephrase that please. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:30 PM

30,146 posts, read 19,964,744 times
Quote:
For God to love us at our worst is pretty much beyond comprehension and when considered you cannot help but come to the conclusion we are more precious to Him than the most beautiful of gems .

Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
What? Rephrase that please. Thanks.
Quote:
I always think that the bible makes us out to be pieces of trash...so why would god love us?
God loves us because it gives Him the most glory. It gives God glory when He saves the worst of the worst, basically Christians are the worst humanity has to offer

Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
God loves us because it gives Him the most glory. It gives God glory when He saves the worst of the worst, basically Christians are the worst humanity has to offer
I still don't get it. Why would god create trash for one thing and why would loving it glorify him?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:53 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Well, just to put that Isaiah passage in, ahem, context:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo
Is 28:7 And these also stagger from wine and reel from beer: Priests and prophets stagger from beer and are befuddled with wine; they reel from beer, they stagger when seeing visions, they stumble when rendering decisions. 8 All the tables are covered with vomit and there is not a spot without filth.
9 "Who is it he is trying to teach? To whom is he explaining his message? To children weaned from their milk, to those just taken from the breast?
It is only in Christ Jesus that God communicates with sinful man. When teacher's are drunk when teaching (or spiritually speaking: when "so-called" teacher's teach while "intoxicated">spiritually) salvation of the Messiah, they not only err themselves, but lead many who listen to them astray also.

Quote:
10 For it is: Do and do, do and do, rule on rule, rule on rule; a little here, a little there."
Precept upon precept "MUST BE", or, "It must be so." They have been taught, as children are taught to read, by precept upon precept, and taught to write line upon line, a little here and a little there, a little here and a little there...that they might not have their memories overcharged.

Quote:
11 Very well then, with foreign lips and strange tongues God will speak to this people, 12 to whom he said, "This is the resting place, let the weary rest"; and, "This is the place of repose"-- but they would not listen.
They would not hear that which would give them rest and be refreshing to them. They had no mind to hear it. The Word of God commanded their serious attention, but could not gain it...they were unable to learn...because they had no capacity to receive what was taught to them...as children, they have need of milk, and cannot bear strong meat.

Quote:
13 So then, the word of the Lord to them will become: Do and do, do and do, rule on rule, rule on rule; a little here, a little there-- so that they will go and fall backward, be injured and snared and captured.
The prophet's preaching was like a continous sounding in their ears, but it made no impression upon them...they had the letter of the precept, but no experience of the power and spirit of it...it was being continually taught to them, but they received none of it.

By their profane contempt of God and His Word they hasten their own ruin...they may go and fall backward...may grow worse and worse, may depart further and further from God...going from one sin to another, till they be broken down..and snared...and taken...and ruined.

Quote:
Doesn't really sound like that whole "precept upon precept" thing was meant as a good thing here, does it?
For our instruction in the things of God, it is needful that the same precept and the same line be repeated to us, over and over again..so that we will better understand them.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-09-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 04:55 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I suppose this question is mainly for the Fundamentalists on the board.. but anyone can answer..

Is there scripture that says you should to take scripture in context?
I am not aware of any scripture that says this.

On the other hand, I have seen, well.... For example a pastor will quote a part of one of Jesus' parables, and then go off into his interpretation of what he thinks Jesus was saying.

But if you had kept reading, a little later in the passage, you see where Jesus explained what He meant.

So by reading a little bit, and then taking that bit out from the context, the real meaning was lost.

Another example is 'thorn in the flesh'. In one passage Paul speaks about his 'thorn in the flesh'. Well I have known Christians who will go on about their own 'thorn in the flesh'. and I have seen churches where they will debate what Paul's 'thorn in the flesh' could have possibly been.

But if anyone were to read the passage 'in context' you would see that Paul explains what it is, in the next series of verses.

Plus the phrase is used a half dozen times in the Old Testament, and in each case, it is always explained.

In all cases, both OT and NT, the meaning of 'thorn in the flesh' always remains the same.

But it does not slow folks down from imagining what they think it should mean.

I feel that context is very important.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:45 AM

This thread is very interesting. So what I gather from all the posts since we don't need context is that God loves flying goat cheese. Am I right?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
No, I'm not implying that at all. Paul knew the story was literally true. But I'm saying that Paul took the meaning of those literal events as an allegory which taught a spiritual truth about legalism. One would be hard-pressed to find that allegory and message based soley on the context of the Genesis scriptures by applying "good hermeneutics". There is nothing in the literal words in Genesis to indicate this is an alleogory, let alone what allegory. But somehow (Spriit of God) Paul knew the meaning and expected others to hear the same meaning.

No, he was not just observing similarities. Paul was saying that these scriptures in the law TAUGHT what Paul was teaching in Galations, and the reader of the law (the legalistic Jews) SHOULD somehow have seen this (as Paul said to them "do ye not hear the law")
All scripture teaches this and that is something most carnal men don't understand. We read the words and only look at the "literal" meaning...most never take it any further. There are spiritual truths hidden behind the literal words and this is something only God can reveal to us once we have killed our "carnal man" and walk in perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or