Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times

Advertisements

I suppose this question is mainly for the Fundamentalists on the board.. but anyone can answer..

Is there scripture that says you should to take scripture in context?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:40 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I suppose this question is mainly for the Fundamentalists on the board.. but anyone can answer..

Not that I know of but what I can tell you is a while back I saw a piece on CNN where they were going around a city asking random people a question, "Do words have meaning"?

Imagine my surprise that CNN actually used words to ask that question

Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Not that I know of but what I can tell you is a while back I saw a piece on CNN where they were going around a city asking random people a question, "Do words have meaning"?

Thanks. Not sure what the CNN premise has to do with it..

Any others?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:55 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Do you have particular scripture in mind, or generally speaking? I believe any language has rules of usage, but all means all in any language.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Do you have particular scripture in mind, or generally speaking?
Generally speaking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe any language has rules of usage, but all means all in any language.
Rules setup by man..

I mean.. how can WE as filthy, rotten individuals (so I'm told) be trusted to come up with the rules of language.. and then use those rules to interpret scripture correctly?

I guess the answer is .. there is no answer and thus we default to our own minds.. minds that are filthy.. and rotten.. and repugnant.. etc etc..

Ruh-rohh..

EDIT: ~actually I just find it both funny and interesting when people here.. and elsewhere.. state "you are taking the scripture out of context" combined with "where is the scripture to support that view".. when in as best as I can find.. there is no scripture saying "take scripture in context"..

like a fabulous circular reference..

but.. thats why I asked the question.. maybe there is something there that I don't know about..

Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,642 times
Quote:

This is what is meant when Scripture explains to us how we should find truth...:

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little.

Note that Isaiah repeats; "...line upon line..." so as to let the reader know how important this is to understand what is the truth of God's Word. If this is done, the truth will always be revealed to the sincere reader who is truly seeking truth.

...and again in 1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in words which mans wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teaches, comparing Spiritual things with Spiritual.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 10-09-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
The Interpretation of Scripture, by J.I. Packer

Pretty good read there and complete with several scriptural references (as requested).

I thought of 'rightly dividing God's word' and there's scripture in one of the Corinthian letters too...but I had read that article above and think it's a pretty good read for anyone interested enough to read it.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
This is what is meant when Scripture explains to us how we should find truth...:

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little.

Note that Isaiah repeats; "...line upon line..." so as to let the reader know how important this is to understand what us the truth of God's Word. If this is done, the truth will always be revealed to the sincere reader who is truly seeking truth.

...and again in 1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in words which mans wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teaches, comparing Spiritual things with Spiritual.
I would think "line upon line" would seem to indicate.. literally line upon line without context.. maybe thats just me.

again.. just my opinion..

Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

I challenge anyone to find the words or context in Genesis by which Paul interpreted this allegory.
  • Galatians 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. 25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Also note that Paul expected the legalistic Jews to already "hear the law" before Paul explained the allegory behind it.

Paul "heard the law" not by context, but by the Spirit of God in him as he compared spiritual with spiritual rather than spiritual with physical.

Nothing wrong with reading the context and doing our very best to study and rightly divide, but I think more important that we trust Christ to open our understanding to the scriptures (kind of like seeking by faith rather than trusting our own works).

Old 10-09-2009, 01:42 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,642 times
Quote:
I would think "line upon line" would seem to indicate.. literally line upon line without context.. maybe thats just me.

again.. just my opinion..
The "...line upon line..." means like laying one line on top of another...layering them as they fit properly together...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity