Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times

Advertisements

(This is kind of long but I know some people might be interested in a good discussion. Please bear with me.)

I have always been liberal and non religious in life. However, I have been interested in religion. I know a lot about Buddhism, Sikhism, Hinduism, Jainism, Shintoism, Wicca and more. I know about Christianity as well. I have taken time to read part of the Bible and know the story of Moses, Jesus and Noah. However, I have never been to a Church.

So for a school project (I took a religions course at University to fulfill my diversity requirement), I had to pick a religion. Professor said that I could not pick a religion I am already too familiar with. So my choice were to do research on Judaism, Christianity, or Islam. I decided to go with Christianity for several reason. One being for school (), two being because many users and people justify being pro life and pro straight marriage here because of the Bible, three because I am sincerely interested in Christianity and Jesus Christ.

There is a BEAUTIFUL Lutheran Church that is not even a mile away from my house. I called in and told her I was not a Christian and asked if I could still come in for services. She was very welcoming as she told me over the phone that "Anyone was welcome in the House of the Lord". So I decided to go Saturday (which was yesterday).

SATURDAY-10/3/2009

I was nervous. I have to admit. Here I am-a pro gay marriage advocate, pro choice with Obama/Biden bumper stickers on the back of my car-at a Church! It was raining but as soon as I pulled into the Church, it got really sunny. I noticed they had spots reserved for visitors and parked my car there. I saw there was a limo in the parking lot. There was a wedding taking place. I saw a nun smoking outside. I smiled to myself. I did not know nuns smoked! I walked into the Chapel and saw some beautiful dresses and beautiful flowers. They were taking pictures so I did not want to walk in too much but I was immediately taken away by the art and beauty of the Chapel. It was truly refreshing. I made a mental note to come back so I would not interrupt their special moment. I went to the next room where they had (what I believe) was the Bible in a different language with candles on each side and beautiful pictures framed. It seemed like a confession room. I stopped in front of each picture and looked very closely. Each had a very special meaning to it. There were wine glasses and there were gold plates on the side. Very nice!

All this time, I was looking into Christian art, I forgot about the service I was here for in the first place! I remembered suddenly and got out and found the worship room.

When I opened the door to get in, there were two people who immediately noticed I was not a regular. They smiled at me and asked me how I was. I smiled and told them I was fine and asked how they were. They said they were fine as well. I felt VERY welcome there. The first person shook my hand and said that his name was Eric. He took me outside of the room and asked me what was going on. I told him that I was a student from University of Michigan (he expressed his sadness at U of M's football loss yesterday!) and that I decided to pick Christianity as my religion to research and observe. He was beyond thrilled. He gave me several papers and a warm welcome. He actually told me that he was so happy I was there and I could tell there was a genuine touch to that.

He told me to wait one second. I waited and looked around and then Eric came back with an elder gentleman.

"Sharon (my name), this is Pastor Paul."

Pastor Paul smiled at me and extended his hand.

"Can I help you, Sharon?"

I explained the above to him. He smiled and once again, I could tell he was very happy to see me there. I felt so welcome. I never thought I would feel like this at a Church!

"Dear, I am going to be preaching tonight. I sincerely hope you enjoy the service tonight. Feel free to take notes and truly listen tonight. After the service is done, I want you to wait for me. I want to make sure you leave here with no questions in your mind."

"I am most grateful for your kindness and time" I told him. "Sir, if you do not mind, I would also like a copy of the Bible for personal reasons as well as school."

Right away, he walked into the room and got me a copy of the "New International Version" Bible. I noticed it right away because the one I hear about the most is the King James version. I held on to it and thanked him from the bottom of my heart.

He led me into the worship center and offered me a seat up closer so I can better see what is going on.

Everyone around me was smiling. I could tell that they knew I was different. For one (not to pick out races) but I was the only non-white person there. I could also feel that nobody thought I was an outsider though. Everyone sincerely welcomed me (knowing I am a non Christian) and wished well upon me. They sang a lot of songs to Jesus Christ and God. Heck, even I sang along!!! Imagine that! Two beautiful, angelic girls lit eight candles.

After that, everyone got up to drink bread and wine. The pastor instructed me that Christians drink this because they believe that they are actually receiving the blood of Christ. That was interesting. He told me I did not have to go up there since I am not a Christian. I did not participate in Communion but I did enjoy seeing a Christian practice.

When the Communion was done, Pastor Paul got up on stage and began to talk about how important it is for us to be close with God. He asked us to stand up and say prayers. I stood up and tried my best. Trust me, I sucked since I did not know them by heart but everyone knows I tried my best. We then began talking about how important it is to be nice to each other and care about each other. I agreed and nodded my heart in agreement as did everyone else. He talked about how important it is to have love in this world even though is becomes dark each day. I agree with that as well. He talked about spreading the Gospel and he went on to talk about someone named Brian who is going to China to spread the word and blessed him.

He talked about how children these days having no respect and no cares. I agree. He talked about how morally decaying society has become. I agree. He talked about children not doing well anymore. I agree. I was surprised at how much I did agree with this! He talked about Islam being the biggest threat to not only Christianity but the world. I somewhat agree with that. I agree in the sense that there is no other religion that is as violent or sexist as Islam BUT I also recognize that there are some Muslims who want to live their life in peace and do not wish harm upon anyone else.

He ended the service there and wished everyone well. Everyone got up and left but I stayed. Eric came to me and sat down.

"How did you like it?"

"Wow! I ENJOYED it!" I told him. And I was not lying. I meant it. Everyone always talks about how boring Church is and here I was enjoying it. He saw Pastor Paul come along and Eric bid me farewell but not without telling me that he was very happy and delighted I came to the service and choose Christianity for my research project. I told him that I felt exactly the same way. Pastor Paul sat down next to me and we talked for a good forty five minutes. He told there were two main Lutheran Groups. One was a more liberal one and another one was more conservative one. He told me that the Church I was at was a conservative Church. (At this point, I kinda worried about my car and those Obama/Biden stickers!!) He told me that what he meant by Conservative was that they did not bless same sex marriages and that he believed in life being a precious gift. I nodded and told him I understood. He took time to explain the difference between the King James version and the New International Version. We talked about other personal things.

Basically, I was very happy that he took his time out to explain everything to me. It showed me that he sincerely cares about people to learn Christianity. He wished well upon me by saying "God Bless You and get a good grade!" I came home with a warm feeling inside.

SUNDAY 10-4-2009

I woke up and got ready in my formal clothes to attend Sunday Worship Service. I know many people said that this is more formal meanwhile the Saturday service is more casual.

I dressed up and entered the Worship Service room. Everyone was standing up and it had so many more people! I found a spot and sat down. The woman next to me smiled and moved over so I could put my purse down as well as school notebooks.

The service was not that much different than the Saturday one. The only difference was that they had an organ this time and they added a few different things. Otherwise, it was the same as Saturday. We read more out of the Bible this time (mostly from the Philippians) and Pastor Greg (a different pastor) talked about having God help us achieve our goals. He then talked about our horrible football team (LOL-The Detroit Lions) and said they needed help. He prayed for the Auto Industry (Since you know Michigan is VERY heavily based on the Auto Industry) and for the workers of the Auto Industry. That was basically the only thing different from the service in terms of preaching. The atmosphere was wonderful. Everyone was silent and showing so much respect that it was great. There was an amazing sense of Unity and togetherness in the Church even with me there. Everyone seemed so united in the sense of love for their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In that moment, it felt like everyone did care about humanity after all.

At the end, I was still there trying to catch up on my notes. I bumped into Pastor Greg. I introduced myself. I told him about my being a student from a University and that I really enjoyed his service as well as Pastor Paul's. I told him that I am researching Christianity and have so far found it to be very beautiful! He smiled and told me that he was very happy to hear that. He also told me that he enjoyed my being there. I showed him the Bible that Pastor Paul gave me and Pastor Greg told me that he hopes I find wisdom and happiness out of it. I thanked him. He then asked me if he could do a prayer for me. I was caught a bit off guard but I realized that I wanted him to do it.

I nodded. He graciously reached over and held my hand gently. It felt wonderful to know someone was reaching out to me. Especially when this was the first time he met me and I was grateful he at least asked and took my feelings into consideration.

"Dear Lord,

Please Protect Sharon from Harm and Dear Lord, please protect her from evil in this world. Please Bless her with happiness and joy. I pray she finds salvation and security in Jesus Christ. Amen!"

I remember the love he had in his voice and the sincerity he had in it. He said every word carefully and with warmness. He truly wanted the best for me.

I left there with a happy feeling again. I felt like there was a sense of protection over me. I am not sure what it was but I know I felt it. Not sure if it was actually there or me just feeling it. I am beginning to see the other side even better than I thought. I now understand how some people can be passionate pro life advocates and straight marriage advocates too. Although, I still believe in what I believe I am thankful to now be able to better understand the other side as well.

This whole thing started out as a school assignment and personal curiosity. It ended up as a enriching experience and one that I will never forget. I always had respect for Jesus Christ but now I have a better understanding and appreciation for Christianity as well Jesus Christ.

Sorry for the novel and to those who actually sat through and read it, I thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Awesome. I appreciate your unbiased report. I honestly believe that God led you there. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Awesome. I appreciate your unbiased report. I honestly believe that God led you there. Thanks for sharing.
Ditto......

Old 10-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I am honestly happy that you enjoyed it. Thank you for taking your time out to read my novel.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:30 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,121 times
I really enjoyed reading your post. It sounds like you went in with a good attitude, and the church members responded in kind. That's the way it should be.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
I enjoyed reading it

Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I enjoyed reading it
Tony don't take this as a sign to start chasing after that athiest bird you fancy . Oh behave

Old 10-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Tony don't take this as a sign to start chasing after that athiest bird you fancy . Oh behave
My father told me there are three kinds of people.

Camphor

Wood

Plantain Stems

Camphor catches fire instantly. Wood takes time, one needs to use a pipe to blow it. The stems never do, they just go haywire no matter what you do. He mooted that my mind always needs to be like Camphor which can imbibe everything at reckless pace, especially Maths.

Some people happen to be camphor, like the OP, they catch the positives too quickly.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I really enjoyed reading your post. It sounds like you went in with a good attitude, and the church members responded in kind. That's the way it should be.
Yes. They sure did reply nicely. I went in with an open heart. Despite my conflicting beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Tony, you can chase me anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
My father told me there are three kinds of people.

Camphor

Wood

Plantain Stems

Camphor catches fire instantly. Wood takes time, one needs to use a pipe to blow it. The stems never do, they just go haywire no matter what you do. He mooted that my mind always needs to be like Camphor which can imbibe everything at reckless pace, especially Maths.

Some people happen to be camphor, like the OP, they catch the positives too quickly.
Wow. Thank you for your compliment. I can really tell that going to this Church has opened up a door for me in some way...

I don't know yet but perhaps time will tell.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Tony, you can chase me anytime.
I'm 29 years old. Very much older brother worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I can really tell that going to this Church has opened up a door for me in some way...

I don't know yet but perhaps time will tell.
Just take it easy. The central part of Christianity is the concept of charity, self-sacrifice and non-violence.

I was little when I read Cervantes' Don Quixote. Cervantes writes of how there is a lady in an inn where the Don and Sancho stay for the night. He then goes on to mention how this woman is one of lewd conduct for she messes around with one of the inn's people. He then proceeds to describe how the woman, despite her behaviour, takes good care of Don and Sancho, out of compassion. And Cervantes goes on to describe it so beautifully, "there still was some Christianity left in her". To my young mind, that single sentence defined Christianity, that sense of care for the fellow human. Charity.

I'm sure you would have heard of the happy prince. The story ends with something about God. Aside from all the technical details of God which Christians yap on and on about, that end of the story truly defines God. And the swallow and the happy prince are the definition of true Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity