U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:54 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,461,043 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I really admire the Jehovah Witnesses because in their legalism they tend to do the "right thing" by staying out of the world. Is it possible for a Christian to involve himself or herself in the world without hurting God or the gospel? This video is obviously a liberal point of view critiquing Baldwin. In this video Baldwin really doesn't say anything religious, it's all secular yet the liberal was talking or mocking Baldwin's being born again, and that he the liberal is a bad guy because he is not republican or Christian-is there a difference

Does there come a time for a Christian to use discernment and ask himself or herself, Heh! even though I am a republican or whatever and feel strongly about the issues, is what I am doing hurting the gospel? or my precious Jesus name? Am I a stumbling block for others? Is there any issue or affiliation other than Christianity more important than the precious pearl?

YouTube - The Dumb Baldwin Brother Goes On FoxNews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 04:19 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,568,193 times
My interpretation of scripture leans heavily in the direction of receiving all things from God: praying for and submitting to authority, and depending on God to turn situations instead of rising up.

Basically, to follow the example of Christ.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:55 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,045,752 times
The Christian activism of the past 20 years or so, led by His Most Holy Jerry Falwell, and The Righteous One, Jimmy Swaggart, has damaged Christian outreach to the lost more than any other single thing, and I think that is why so many have turned away from Christianity, towards religion.
The condemnation and judgment directed at homosexuals, has been so very detrimental to the cause of Christ.

Christians have much to atone for. We have sinned, as a body, we will be sorry........JMHO

Back in the '30s, there was a saying, "Never discuss religion or politics in the company of other people." I think that makes sense.

That's not hiding your Christianity - if you are a follower of Jesus Christ, people will be able to tell. You won't have to INFORM THEM of that fact....

Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,063,957 times
My answer to that question is encapsulated by this motto, which I live by:

"My politics is influenced by my faith; but my faith will NEVER be defined by my politics."

Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,398,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
The condemnation and judgment directed at homosexuals, has been so very detrimental to the cause of Christ.
We must take care not to get wrapped around the axle with "Judge not, lest ye be judged." As Christians, we have a responsibility to make judgments - after all, the law still applies and we must be willing to 'call a spade a spade.' The Bible differentiates quite clearly between right and wrong and so should we, even at the risk of appearing to be judgmental.

As far as politics in general, it is our Christian duty to be involved. I don't see how anyone that reads their Bible can possibly come to a different conclusion.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:56 PM

37,596 posts, read 25,294,156 times
IT is hardly optional . . . as a member of a polity . . . we are involved. What we are NOT to do is try to impose our beliefs on anyone else. If God intended that we be forced to believe or not believe ANYTHING . . . it would already be so. Force is worthless in spiritual matters, period. Automatons are pointless . . . as are unwilling "obeyers" of spiritual "laws." If the spiritual motivation is not internal and part of the individual . . . it produces no spiritual development and is useless. All those who would force obedience to God's "laws" are enemies of God . . . because they thwart the purpose of voluntary spiritual development within each of us. All those who threaten punishment to try to use fear to motivate anyone to "obey" . . . is God's enemy. Fear prevents love and interferes with spiritual development. We have secular laws to control society . . . the spiritual stuff has no place in them.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,045,752 times
Quote:
We must take care not to get wrapped around the axle with "Judge not, lest ye be judged." As Christians, we have a responsibility to make judgments - after all, the law still applies
No, the law does not still apply; the law was fulfilled, in Jesus Christ.
We are not under the law. We are under grace.
And it is not our place to judge.

Quote:
and we must be willing to 'call a spade a spade.' The Bible differentiates quite clearly between right and wrong and so should we, even at the risk of appearing to be judgmental.
The New Testament doesn't direct us to "call a spade a spade," Jesus tells us "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

Quote:
As far as politics in general, it is our Christian duty to be involved. I don't see how anyone that reads their Bible can possibly come to a different conclusion.
It is our Christian duty to be involved with the things of the Lord, i.e., helping others, feeding the hungry, assisting those in need, giving love where love is needed, and so on. There is nothing in the Bible that direct us to be involved in politics; especially considering that politics are temporal, and the things of God are ETERNAL. Politics is a temporary thing, we are supposed to be laying up treasures in heaven, not arguing politics. It doesn't matter, in the long run.

What better way to get Christians distracted from what they are supposed to be doing, than to convince them to get involved in politics? Politics is of the world.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,491,000 times
you can be in the world but not of the world.

So Christians can consider it a duty to run for high office, or to push a political agenda while in office.

There is no sin in working in government to make life better for others.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,398,653 times
Quote:
No, the law does not still apply; the law was fulfilled, in Jesus Christ. We are not under the law. We are under grace.
And it is not our place to judge.
Yes, we (the converted) are certainly under grace. Why are we under grace? Is it not because we transgress the law? Without a law, how can anyone be identified as a transgressor?

Quote:
The New Testament doesn't direct us to "call a spade a spade," Jesus tells us "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."
Let me suggest to you that the primary reason Jesus was so hated and eventually affixed to a Roman gibbet was because he had the courage to 'call a spade a spade.'

Quote:
It is our Christian duty to be involved with the things of the Lord, i.e., helping others, feeding the hungry, assisting those in need, giving love where love is needed, and so on.
Agreed. What would preclude us from also performing our patriotic duty?

Quote:
There is nothing in the Bible that direct us to be involved in politics; especially considering that politics are temporal, and the things of God are ETERNAL. Politics is a temporary thing, we are supposed to be laying up treasures in heaven, not arguing politics. It doesn't matter, in the long run.
If I understand you correctly, you are asserting that all Christians should pull back from any involvement in the public square and leave the running of the country to pagans. Is that your assertion?

Quote:
What better way to get Christians distracted from what they are supposed to be doing, than to convince them to get involved in politics? Politics is of the world.
Sundance, you are just the sort of Christian that pagans and atheists love.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,067,604 times
Fundy.. I can't tell if your question is:

1. Should Christians be involved in world politics

or

2. Should Christians, if they are idiots, be on the picture box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or