U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,576,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
They claim to have the one true faith, yet cant name anyone else on the face of the earth that also has the same knowledge of the truth as they do.

This in effect makes them a "Cult Of One"

They serve in their Cult Of One as both the unquestioned leader, and the mindless follower.
Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:44 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,413,027 times
This question is up for grabs. So Jesus had his last meal. What would your last meal be? Anything and everything (as long as it's not human parts ) you can think of--no limit.

Mine would be a plate of bbq pork Yangchow-styled fried rice with a side mum's black bean spareribs, dad's fish steak/fried tofu, and gramp's (may he rest in peace) dim sum. And washing it down with red bean ice, Coca-cola, and HK style boba milk tea. Finally for dessert, tapioca red bean paste sweet soup, ice cream sundae, and Death by Chocolate cookies. I would die a happy man

Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,492,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
So Jesus had his last meal. What would your last meal be?
I dont know, you got a big day tomorrow.
you dont want a heavy meal ....

Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,126,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think that what is lost in all this "God-Man-Holy Spirit" Trinity nonsense is the real importance and good news about Jesus. Jesus is what we are intended to be. All that we should strive to become is embodied in the life of Jesus. But the most enlightening part of it all is that Jesus was human! . . . of course He possessed God's consciousness, John 5:19-21

19Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

20For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

21For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

John 5:25-26

25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

John 5:30

30 I can of mine own self do nothing

But what is most encouraging is that He had ALL our human weaknesses as well . . . it is His perfect consciousness that made all the difference. Like an earthly Master with unbelieving disciples . . . it is often necessary to prove to the disciples that what the Master can do . . the disciples can learn to do. The best way to do that is by example. Jesus is our example of the potential for our consciousness to overcome our human nature. What is even more encouraging is that he existed over two thousand years ago.

Jesus's existence was the signal that humankind, as a species, had evolved sufficiently to acquire the mental discipline necessary to create an eternal soul, despite the dominance of barbarous man-the-animal in most of the leadership and military positions. Metaphorically speaking, the species had achieved spiritual puberty - over two thousand years ago!

In a quotation from John, 4:35, Jesus reveals this glorious state of affairs to his disciples,

. . . I say to you, lift up your eyes and behold that the fields are already white for the harvest. And he who reaps receives a wage, and gathers fruit unto everlasting life, so that the sower and the reaper may rejoice together. . . I have sent you to reap that on which you have not labored. Others have labored and you have entered into their labors.

Others had labored for untold generations to produce this crop of man, using fear, promise of reward, parting seas, burning bushes, stones turned to water, snake-staffs, dream interpretation, and on, and on. Primitive methods from primitive minds. Yet they were gloriously successful as Jesus was to prove by his gentleness and compassion, alien characteristics to the dominant breed of his day. It is this very "alieness" that made Jesus stand out so brightly among his own generation.

Jesus is the proof that we can become what we are intended to become. God has provided us with more than just words that we can achieve our purpose. Doing is always the best teacher, so He let a human do it. Unfortunately, our task is more rigorous than Jesus' because of the amount of weakness we have to overcome. Our genetic fathers have many weaknesses . . . Jesus's Father does NOT. This is not to minimize the pain and suffering Jesus endured, for it was considerable. The graphic portrayal of his suffering in the film “The Passion of the Christ” was probably very accurate. But even in our highly evolved and civilized state, we have difficulty understanding HOW he could actually love his tormentors without any reduction in degree and without the slightest semblance of hate. Jesus indicated his advantage in Matt 11:29

. . . Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.

It is my belief that if we all increased the strength of our souls, as we passed on this mental capacity epigenetically to each succeeding generation, eventually all people might have a similarly easy yoke and burden. We will probably never eliminate all our weaknesses, but it is difficult to know the full potential of the human mind. As we understand more, we perform more God-like manipulations of our world. Jesus possessed God's understanding and performed accordingly.
That was pretty darn good if I say so myself. If more people understood what Jesus tried to teach us...to follow Him (his example) we could overcome so much of this religious man made dogma and see that it's not needed to achieve being One with The Father.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:24 AM

30,295 posts, read 20,040,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

It is this very "alieness" that made Jesus stand out so brightly among his own generation.
The greatest example of this was how He was towards those we perceive in our judgemental minds as the worst of sinners,the prostitutes, adulturer's tax collectors and so on.
His very presence when He was around such people brought out the worst in the Pharisees and exposed their religion for what it was(superficial),they could not comprehend that God could actually love such people and worse still , eat drink and converse with them.Yes the Pharisees had the BC version of the KJ bible, but when Jesus appeared on the scene it was quite clear all their doctrines they gleaned from it was exposed as being as shallow of their own understanding they had of God, even though they knew it by chapter and verse.

Last edited by pcamps; 10-16-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,126,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The greatest example of this was how He was towards those we perceive in our judgemental minds as the worst of sinners,the prostitutes, adulturer's tax collectors and so on.
His very presence when He was around such people brought out the worst in the Pharisees and exposed their religion for what it was(superficial),they could not comprehend that God could actually love such people and worse still , eat drink and converse with them.
And you just can't help but Thank God for that each and every day

Old 10-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
. DR martin being an a$$ and full of self-righteous indignation

IMHO
Yes,
The same view was found on TBN when back in the 90s there was this great big fight between Martin and the people that run TBN.

You remember the guys running TBN right?
Paul Crouch and his wife, Little Bo Peep....

Anyway, they objected not to what Martin was saying, but just in the manner he said it...So you have friends on that call.

But you also need to understand that his job was not easy.
Look at the people and the faiths he debated...look at the many attacks against him that are still going on from the Mormons...and 7th dayers.

he was a "force' for them to deal with....
I wish I was half that much of a force in my own dealings with the same cults.

YouTube - 3-14 Seventh Day Adventist -VS- Christianity - Debate

He was a force for them to deal with....

Old 10-16-2009, 05:59 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,405,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Yes,
The same view was found on TBN when back in the 90s there was this great big fight between Martin and the people that run TBN.

You remember the guys running TBN right?
Paul Crouch and his wife, Little Bo Peep....

Anyway, they objected not to what Martin was saying, but just in the manner he said it...So you have friends on that call.

But you also need to understand that his job was not easy.
Look at the people and the faiths he debated...look at the many attacks against him that are still going on from the Mormons...and 7th dayers.

he was a "force' for them to deal with....
I wish I was half that much of a force in my own dealings with the same cults.

YouTube - 3-14 Seventh Day Adventist -VS- Christianity - Debate

He was a force for them to deal with....
I don't see the problem with LDS or Mormons...JW's, or 7th dayers.... anymore than I see a problem with Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, and Pentecostals! All just different views of how the scriptures tell things with little man doctrines mixed in. They are all just melting pots of God's and man's ideas all rolled into rules and regulations..

Anyway.. just my opinion.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 PM

29,759 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I don't see the problem with LDS or Mormons...JW's, or 7th dayers.... anymore than I see a problem with Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, and Pentecostals! All just different views of how the scriptures tell things with little man doctrines mixed in. They are all just melting pots of God's and man's ideas all rolled into rules and regulations..

Anyway.. just my opinion.
I agree.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 PM

as you have noticed...ideas like Universal salvation....do tend to get people to say some 'forcefull" things....

I have many bookmarked just to make sure I have them handy should someone go so far as to say people like Walter Martin are not found on this forum....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or