Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 01:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
My advice to the serious Bible student...
Get a bunch of Translations so that you can gather a wide view of the meanings to things found in the Bible.

There are many good Christian bibles that have several translations appearing next to each other.
By the use of a 4-in-one bible like this I am able to see what the different translators have come up with as to what some verses mean.

The use of such a study of the different translations also helps get rid of the chance of error or falling into a problem where one translation is unclear to you.

Each translation will be slightly different, (That was the whole point to them) so you will have a better chance to learn the heart and soul of a text with a wider look at how others have viewed it.

One problem I see is that with some translations, they use a tricky word a person might get tripped up over, and if you dont check it out in other bibles you might end up in error
Check out Biblos.com and you can compare all versions (15) side by side as well as commentaries and Greek/Hebrew. It's a good resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 01:32 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
That is a good point to make... It sure appears that Christ is saying he existed before Abraham
well....its more than that.

If I tell you that as we are speaking I am standing before the birth of the earth..it means more that just telling you I once was standing in the past at the birth of the earth.

If I was just saying that i was old I could just say, "I have been there"

But if I were making the claim to be not held by space/time, then I would say that "I am" there, right now, as we speak.

When Jesus said, "I AM" he was not just making the claim to be old.
He was saying that He was the only being not held by space/time.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Check out Biblos.com .
that is the correct spelling?

Old 10-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
the husband and wife are two separate beings and cannot be "one person" as you see Jesus and God as "one God" in the trinity.

Always remember that there are 3 persons within the nature of the One God...

Not one person in 3 forms...
Not one person with 3 different titles.

The one God is 3 different persons!

Old 10-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Explain this for my understanding if you will-
So if we use the trinity we have God sending down God to tell of God's Word (gospel) by accepting God into himself (God) in order to start His miraculous ministry...

God the Father, sent God the Son in the power of God the Spirit.

all three equal in nature, but different in position.
all 3 always working as one, all 3 with different roles of their positions.

This is the meaning behind the term "Emanuel" for Jesus is truly "God with us".

Jesus is 100% human as we are, and 100% God as the father is...he is the mediator between God and man.

Jesus is the fullness of God in human form.
There is nothing less than God about him...Jesus is not less God in his nature than the father is.
The Son and the Father are equal in nature,,,the father is of greater position...as we should understand from the use in the Bible of the term "Father" and "Son"

Old 10-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
that is the correct spelling?
Yes, here is the link. If you type a verse into the search bar of the site it will give you all the versions... it's a very useful site.

Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Show me a bible that says the WORD is Jesus...
John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

This means that the WORD of John 1:1 that we learned was actually Almighty God, became flesh, became human flesh...
became a man...
a man who could die a normal human death...
the same death of Adam, the same death of Alan.

and in his resurrection we have the only assurance that he also can raise us to life too from the same death.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Always remember that there are 3 persons within the nature of the One God...

Not one person in 3 forms...
But God in heaven (the Father) is one form and in one place. Jesus is God (as you say) as a human in a completely different form. And the Holy Spirit is simply a spirit.. so again another form.. That is three different forms.

Quote:
Not one person with 3 different titles.

The one God is 3 different persons!
So you are saying that each of the 3 forms (persons) are all God collectively... right?

But doesn't Jesus himself say that he will be sitting at the right hand of God? Why not say he will be back to being one with God and so they are the same in heaven.... yet he says in heaven he is at God's right hand, not back to being God.

What are your thoughts on that?

Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
well....its more than that.

If I tell you that as we are speaking I am standing before the birth of the earth..it means more that just telling you I once was standing in the past at the birth of the earth.

If I was just saying that i was old I could just say, "I have been there"

But if I were making the claim to be not held by space/time, then I would say that "I am" there, right now, as we speak.

When Jesus said, "I AM" he was not just making the claim to be old.
He was saying that He was the only being not held by space/time.
No the Jews were saying that he was too young to know (have seen) Abraham. There is no reason to think he was alive in Abraham's day as Jesus. Now if you said he was alive in Abraham's day as the holy spirit or as God, I would have to agree with you as God's Word existed before Abraham. But as you say.. Jesus is saying that he was alive before Abraham and the Jews did not understand what Jesus was saying as you don't understand what he was saying.

IMHO

Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Tell me what you think of this passage:

Matthew 15:6 (KJV) And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

If I remember the full context of Mat 15:6 correctly,
its about sons who get out of the duty to look out after their parents by making the false claim that all their money will got to the church after their death.

The result of this tradition was to cause aged parents to suffer while the children pretended that they could not give support to their parents because that would be robbing God of his cut .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity