U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,854,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rev. Fredrick Augustus Ross (1796-1883), an unrepentent apologist for the Slavocracy, asserted in his book Slavery Ordained of God that God had empowered Anglo-Saxons to enslave Africans as a connection between the highest and lowest races of men, "revealing influences which may be, and will be, most benevolent for the ultimate good of the master and the slave."
Caiaphas, the Jewish high priest, schemed to have Jesus murdered to save Israel from a supposed threat of annihilation by the Romans (Jn. 11:45-52). And Joseph, who rose to become second to the Pharaoh in Egypt, was sold into slavery by his brothers (Gen. 37:1-36). In all these narratives, Ross, Caiaphas and the brothers of Joseph, God evidently had a hidden agenda that would bring glory to Him and advance His kingdom.

Quote:
hard to say.. he took a really long time to stop it , thats for sure
Hi, if you look at it that way, murders, rapes, disease, illness and so on continue to exist also. They haven't even stopped.

One sad thing about American slavery is that it conflicted with the expressed American ideals of freedom and equality for all men. Blacks were considered to be less than human which is one way this particular institution was justified. Is this part the revelation of God- that people of black skin are subhuman? The scriptures revealed God's intentions behind the death of Jesus, the selling of Joseph by his brothers. There are no directives or revelations from God today that tell us that God planned to have one race declared superior over another in order to enslave them. There are no revelations from God that one race is better than another race and that people are to be treated as such. Instead we are taught to care for all people. Paul has completed the revelation of God to us. We know that Jesus died for all men and that all are under sin. No one is better than another and should not consider themselves better than another, no matter what the circumstances. Maybe this is what His intention is, to show us this through these kinds of experiences. We are in the same boat and only God can deliver us from this. (sin). The position of kings, queens, the elite, the advanced, the strongest and so on, from wordly perspectives mean nothing to God who created each one. And each one is in need of a Savior. I do believe that God has a purpose for all things and I believe that one of the purposes is to reveal the depth of sin and brokeness that exists within the creation that cannot only by removed by Him and healed by Him. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-02-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,950,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, if you look at it that way, murders, rapes, disease, illness and so on continue to exist also. They haven't even stopped.

One sad thing about American slavery is that it conflicted with the expressed American ideals of freedom and equality for all men. Blacks were considered to be less than human which is one way this particular institution was justified. Is this part the revelation of God- that people of black skin are subhuman? The scriptures revealed God's intentions behind the death of Jesus, the selling of Joseph by his brothers. There are no directives or revelations from God today that tell us that God planned to have one race declared superior over another in order to enslave them. There are no revelations from God that one race is better than another race and that people are to be treated as such. Instead we are taught to care for all people. Paul has completed the revelation of God to us. We know that Jesus died for all men and that all are under sin. No one is better than another and should not consider themselves better than another, no matter what the circumstances. Maybe this is what His intention is, to show us this through these kinds of experiences. We are in the same boat and only God can deliver us from this. (sin). The position of kings, queens, the elite, the advanced, the strongest and so on, from wordly perspectives mean nothing to God who created each one. And each one is in need of a Savior. I do believe that God has a purpose for all things and I believe that one of the purposes is to reveal the depth of sin and brokeness that exists within the creation that cannot only by removed by Him and healed by Him. God bless.
So very true and well said!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM

Thank you, Garya. Hope all is well with you. God bless.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:29 PM

6,261 posts, read 9,569,105 times
There were slaves everywhere. Not just in America. God knew humans would do that so he just outlined in the Bible how to treat them. He wasn't condoning it.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM

9,160 posts, read 11,747,201 times
Default In The New Testament PAUL Said......

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There were slaves everywhere. Not just in America. God knew humans would do that so he just outlined in the Bible how to treat them. He wasn't condoning it.
PAUL dealt with the issue of Slavery in the NEW TESTAMENT when he told a SLAVE to return to his MASTER and PAUL TOLD THE MASTER TO TREAT THE SLAVE AS IF HE WAS PAUL who WROTE THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE NEW TESTAMENT.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM

Hi, slavery in the New Testament was much different than the sytem in the U.S. God bless.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM

373 posts, read 312,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder James III View Post
Rev. Fredrick Augustus Ross (1796-1883), an unrepentent apologist for the Slavocracy, asserted in his book Slavery Ordained of God that God had empowered Anglo-Saxons to enslave Africans as a connection between the highest and lowest races of men,
Did God or did He not, based on exegetical arguments, ordain American Slavery?
It's true that people in the OT are sold as slaves.
But that was always to pay of debts. So if someone was deep in debts a wealthy person payed his debts and the person had work as a slave to pay back his debts to his master.

The obvious huge difference with black slaves from Africa is that those people didn't have any debts. In fact they even never saw a white man before.
So that's one thing against God's law.

The other thing is that although the slave had to work hard (as most in that time) they should be treated fairly. Not beaten to pulp with a whip or raped because they just are 'toys' that belong to the slave master.

In God's 'slave rules' the slave had a year of every 7th year Sabbath year.
In God's 'slave rules' the slave, or his family if he died, get their land after 50 years.
I've never heard of black slaves with a year of or returning home.

So, American slavery doesn't even look remotely like OT slavery.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM

I agree WhiteWings.

Philemon

10 I appeal to you for my child [j]Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my [k]imprisonment, 11 who formerly was useless to you, but now is useful both to you and to me. 12 I have sent him back to you in person, that is, sending my very heart, 13 whom I wished to keep with me, so that on your behalf he might minister to me in my [l]imprisonment for the gospel; 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will. 15 For perhaps he was for this reason separated from you for a while, that you would have him back forever, 16 no longer as a slave, but more than a slave, a beloved brother, especially to me, but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord." (NAS)

Notice the love that Paul demonstrates, communicates, and admonishes as he makes his appeal. American slavery treated black slaves as inferior human beings as they had their families split apart, sold to other slave owners, women raped, people beaten and mutilated, most having no hope for freedom. Many slaves in the first century were able to advance, were well educated, were treated with dignity and respect. In the US a whole race of people was considered to be inferior to other people and they were treated that way because of race and skin color, even by the slaveowners who professed to be Christians or believers..

This expression that was held so dear in the new country did not apply to them.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-02-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM

62 posts, read 76,892 times
Default HisStory vs history

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Thank you, Garya. Hope all is well with you. God bless.
I join with Garya and others who are thankful for your Christian diplomacy. May our God, He who creates and controls all events, including those who compel provocateurs to malign our faith, may He keep you securely in the shadow of His wings as a faithful advocate for the Kingdom.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM

Thank you, Elder James III. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or