U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 06:02 PM

23,262 posts, read 12,056,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You can listen to two 'ministers' or internet posters or you can listen to the word of God and the Holy Spirit. Your choice.
Or:

You can listen to internet posters educated in the 21st century - or you can listen to what long-dead, primitive, desert-wandering, middle-easterners thought who had no access to the internet, so they scribbled stuff on bits of parchment and some people found them and Constantine ordered a bunch of "learned men" of the times to knit the bits into a pastiche of something that would kick-start Christianity - his Mummy's cause du jour.

And the Christian god(s) were born.

And some people believed in him/them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:18 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I thought he WAS one of the fundamentalists who is MIA.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:19 PM

58,456 posts, read 31,862,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
There you go again !
People can claim they "follow the spirit", and you can discern which spirit they follow by examining their actions, or what they promote:

Works of the flesh:

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Fruits of the Spirit:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control

What does it say about people who promote sexual immorality as a non-issue, while attacking / judging / bullying / falsely accusing those who agree with the biblical views? Clearly it falls in the "flesh" category (enmity, strife, dissensions, divisions etc). I have also seen lot of "fits of anger" from many posters from the same camp. So much anger that I had to put some posters to my ignore list.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-15-2016 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 PM

37,477 posts, read 25,224,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
NO, Cyber. I am just quoting you and your accusation of me back at you using YOUR OWN WORDS blaspheming the Holy Spirit Nate is following.
Quote:
People can claim they "follow the spirit", and you can discern which spirit they follow by examining their actions, or what they promote:
It seems there is a problem in recognizing the hypocrisy in accusing someone of something you have done in the same post. It seems to be endemic to fundies.
Quote:
<snip>
Fruits of the Spirit:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control

What does it say about people who promote sexual immorality as a non-issue, while attacking those who say it is a problem?
There are even more fruits of the spirit but NONE of them involve judging others or discriminating against others because of their sins, or shunning them or mistreating them or not employing them or calling them abominations or any of the many things fundies seem to think they have a right to do!!!

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-15-2016 at 07:35 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM

10,290 posts, read 8,039,494 times
Quote:

Works of the flesh:

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Fruits of the Spirit:

What does it say about people who promote sexual immorality as a non-issue, while attacking / judging / bullying / falsely accusing those who agree with the biblical views? Clearly it falls in the "flesh" category (enmity, strife, dissensions, divisions etc). I have also seen lot of "fits of anger" from many posters from the same camp. So much anger that I had to put some posters to my ignore list.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Works of the flesh:

Sexual immorality - Oh yeah. More times than you'd prefer to count.
Impurity - Fer sure. Right up there in the impure department.
Sensuality - How can you expect your significant other to experience orgasm(s) without being sensual? I guess for some people, that doesn't matter.
Idolatry - Sorry. Drawing a blank there. I worship nothing but I sure do appreciate life.
Sorcery - Does consulting Tarot at certain times in my life count? If so -- colour me guilty.
Enmity - I admit to causing confusion there. I loathe fundamentalism. I don't like fundamentalists. I admit I misspoke carelessly in another thread. I DO have enemies. It's just that they're all online. I only know one fundanatic-type fundavangelist in RL and she's my sister. I love my sister. But I hate and will fight what she has become.
Strife - Sure, online with fundies with such as yourself. And occasionally with the PTB that tend to restrict my vocabulary to a frustrating degree.
Jealousy - Nope. Never. Of anyone.
Fits of anger - Guilty.
Rivalries - Only on the playing field or the other side of the Cribbage board.
Dissensions - Yeah, with un-thinking, non-feeling, bible-babbling Christians, mostly.
Divisions - See above.
Envy - Only a very mild case at my paternal Grandfather's sneering dismissal of his imminent death.
Drunkeness - A time or 30. Mostly mild, by most folks' reckoning.
Orgies - Depends on the definition.
And things like these - Yeah, I can relate to much of the above.

Quote:
Fruits of the Spirit:

I'm down with all that - which, by the way - can be found outside the bible.

Although I've dabbled - some might declare deeply - in licentiousness, that doesn't preclude morality. To me, morality is behaviour that is agreed-upon between adult, rational, consenting parties.

Back to orgasms for a second - a topic rarely addressed by fundmentalists. Orgasms are hardly ever terrible and it's been my experience that most partners appreciate them.

Quote:
Cowards put people on ignore.

Fundamentalists are cowards.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Awesome post, Trout.

Your honesty is a refreshing change from the usual Holier Than Thou* and Butter Don't Melt in My Mouth** posts we see on these threads.

*Guess again.

**Sure it does.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:55 PM

15,542 posts, read 6,995,657 times
Quote:

I'd have to say that those who ask you to reevaluate perceptions that are based on millenia of misconceptions, so that you can have a rational idea of what sexual immorality really IS are just asking you to "show cause," and nobody has been able to do it. You see, Finn_Jarber, if you are discriminating against or persecuting, or falsly accusing people who are NOT practicing sexual immorality you have a problem in both your relationship within your society and with God.

You really should show cause that is not based on misinterpretation of the intent of scripture, keeping in mind that prejudice is a tough nut to crack.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:00 PM

7,685 posts, read 3,409,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sensuality - How can you expect your significant other to experience orgasm(s) without being sensual? I guess for some people, that doesn't matter.
Idolatry - Sorry. Drawing a blank there. I worship nothing but I sure do appreciate life.
Sorcery - Does consulting Tarot at certain times in my life count? If so -- colour me guilty.
Enmity - I admit to causing confusion there. I loathe fundamentalism. I don't like fundamentalists. I admit I misspoke carelessly in another thread. I DO have enemies. It's just that they're all online. I only know one fundanatic-type fundavangelist in RL and she's my sister. I love my sister. But I hate and will fight what she has become.
Strife - Sure, online with fundies with such as yourself. And occasionally with the PTB that tend to restrict my vocabulary to a frustrating degree.
Fits of anger - Guilty.
Dissensions - Yeah, with un-thinking, non-feeling, bible-babbling Christians, mostly.
Divisions - See above.
Envy - Only a very mild case at my paternal Grandfather's sneering dismissal of his imminent death.
And sadly you are spiritually dead and following the path of death if you don't change your ways. Not very wise choice if you ask me.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-17-2016 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Added missiing closing quote tag

Old 08-15-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Fits of anger - Guilty.
Divisions - See above.
And sadly you are spiritually dead and following the path of death if you don't change your ways. Not very wise choice if you ask me.
Not to worry, jeffy. I'll never ask you.

I have no regard whatsoever of your opinion on anything.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-17-2016 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Fixed missing quote tag in quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or