U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 AM

1,227 posts, read 559,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The concept is that we learn and share as civilization continues.
Certainly. But that does not mean contempt for those in the past simply because they did not have the technology or the knowledge that is available to us today. We stand on their shoulders, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 AM

15,549 posts, read 7,002,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Am I the only gay person who doesn't give a hoot that some priests approve of my behavior? Whether they approve or not, I know I'm a good person. I don't need them telling me I am to feel good about myself, and I certainly don't need their assurance that God doesn't care either.
I don't think you are the problem being addressed, it is those who don't realize that who need the information.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:41 AM

58,493 posts, read 31,880,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Am I the only gay person who doesn't give a hoot that some priests approve of my behavior? Whether they approve or not, I know I'm a good person. I don't need them telling me I am to feel good about myself, and I certainly don't need their assurance that God doesn't care either.
You are probably not the only one. This whole topic is being used as a tool in anti-Christian attacks. Anyone who does not agree with certain things is accused of hatred and bigotry, and the name-callers are usually not gay, but others who resent Christians in general.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are probably not the only one. This whole topic is being used as a tool in anti-Christian attacks. Anyone who does not agree with certain things is accused of hatred and bigotry, and the name-callers are usually not gay, but others who resent Christians in general.
Keep your day job.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:51 AM

23,318 posts, read 12,067,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Pardon me, Trout, but how does lacking access to the internet makes the ancient people inferior or not worthy of paying attention to? You may disagree with their philosophies or not believe in their god - but dismiss them simply because they had not internet and no 21st-century education? Some of the brightest minds in history had neither.
That bit was obviously tongue-in-cheek and only meant to emphasize that they were largely uneducated, primitive peoples living in primitive times with a not-coincidentally primitive understanding of the world.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 AM

1,227 posts, read 559,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That bit was obviously tongue-in-cheek and only meant to emphasize that they were largely uneducated, primitive peoples living in primitive times with a not-coincidentally primitive understanding of the world.
Yes, and my whole issue was with you calling the people of the past primitive. Maybe they did not have all the knowledge that we have, but they did have wisdom according to the amount of knowledge they did have. Who knows, maybe in some ways - like the instinctive understanding of the natural world - we are primitive and inferior to them, not the other way. We have the internet knowledge, but they had the knowledge from experience.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:23 PM

23,318 posts, read 12,067,777 times
Quote:
Yes, and my whole issue was with you calling the people of the past primitive. Maybe they did not have all the knowledge that we have, but they did have wisdom according to the amount of knowledge they did have. Who knows, maybe in some ways - like the instinctive understanding of the natural world - we are primitive and inferior to them, not the other way. We have the internet knowledge, but they had the knowledge from experience.
If that's what you think, I won't try to disabuse you of the notion.

I stand by my use of the word.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:45 PM

7,695 posts, read 3,413,035 times
Quote:
I believe the ancient people were quite intelligent. They built great cities and structures. They invented ways to survive that I doubt many people of our time period could have conjured up like refrigeration in a desert which still exists today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakhchal

Old 08-16-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I believe the ancient people were quite intelligent. They built great cities and structures. They invented ways to survive that I doubt many people of our time period could have conjured up like refrigeration in a desert which still exists today.

And they often conducted themselves in many ways quite callously if not viciously.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:19 PM

20,568 posts, read 22,728,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

And yet all they succeeded in was destroying themselves in the name of their gods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or