Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
But it is. Those who want for it not to be do so for a simple reason as Jesus says:
John 3:20
Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.
Hold up a mirror when you read this, twin. You are advocating the greatest single dogma for division within Christianity. \

"39You pore over the Scriptures because you presume that by them you possess eternal life. These are the very words that testify about Me, 40yet you refuse to come to Me to have life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The only documents Timothy referred to as "Scripture" were the Torah and the Talmud. The New Testament wouldn't even be assembled for several hundred years.
Quote:
Only that God the Holy Spirit inspired Peter to write concerning Paul's letters are on the same plain as the OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You're certainly entitled to believe that, but that is definitely not Biblical. I wonder how many of the thousands of denominations are accountable to such interpretations.
Then you don't know or wantonly don't care what is Biblical. 2 Peter 3:16 God equates Paul's letters to the same plain as scriptures by the fact that " ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction"

2 Peter 3:16 is not my opinion --- your denial of it is.

The same God who inspired the OT ... inspired the NT.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
UNbelievable! Your very Bibles tell you what promise Jesus made for guide and yet you WILL set up something else, claiming that it is the work of that Guide and the Guide won't go outside of that work anymore because it is the new authority even though such a thing was never promised nor indicated. That the Bible can be a tool FOR the Spirit is reasonable, but to look to the Bible FIRST is flying in the face of the promise in it.

"39You pore over the Scriptures because you presume that by them you possess eternal life. These are the very words that testify about Me, 40yet you refuse to come to Me to have life."
Quote:
Hold up a mirror when you read this, twin. You are advocating the greatest single dogma for division within Christianity. \

" ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction"

2 Peter 3:16 is not my opinion --- it is the rejection and seeking of the absolute truth beyond the Bible or somewhere else i.e. mysticism is the hallmark of "ignorant and unstable people" .

And btw: people aren't destroyed to some future UR cosmic apocalypse round-about

Old 08-14-2016, 09:13 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
But it is. Those who want for it not to be do so for a simple reason as Jesus says:
John 3:20
Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.
What is a shame is that they carry on about how they can not trust the scripture because man wrote it, it has too many contradictions in it . BUT they say they believe God yet they believe God is not capable of keeping His word from being polluted and corrupted by the world .
Well they sure don't trust the God of the Bible, the God of creation because that Bible has been around hundreds of years and it still says the same thing it did when it was wrote . Nothing has changed ! It still speaks truth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and continues to leads mankind to Jesus Christ the Savior of the world .

They just are finding excuses not to truly trust God it is all coming from a heart of only trusting in themselves so that they can choose to do what they want rather then God . I'm so sick of hearing, oh, how they believe and trust God but they can't even trust Him that He would never allow anyone or thing to take from His word and destroy it .

Well they sure are in for a big surprise one day, what a shame !

Romans 15:4 (NASB)
For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

2 Peter 1:20-21 (NASB)
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

2 Timothy 3:15-17 (NASB)
15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Quote:
" ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction"

2 Peter 3:16 is not my opinion --- it is the rejection and seeking of the absolute truth beyond the Bible or somewhere else i.e. mysticism is the hallmark of "ignorant and unstable people" .

And btw: people aren't destroyed to some future UR cosmic apocalypse round-about
Amen

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 08-14-2016 at 09:23 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
What is a shame is that they carry on about how they can not trust the scripture because man wrote it, it has too many contradictions in it . BUT they say they believe God yet they believe God is not capable of keeping His word from being polluted and corrupted by the world .
Well they sure don't trust the God of the Bible, the God of creation because that Bible has been around hundreds of years and it still says the same thing it did when it was wrote . Nothing has changed ! It still speaks truth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and continues to leads mankind to Jesus Christ the Savior of the world .

They just are finding excuses not to truly trust God it is all coming from a heart of only trusting in themselves so that they can choose to do what they want rather then God . I'm so sick of hearing, oh, how they believe and trust God but they can't even trust Him that He would never allow anyone or thing to take from His word and destroy it .

Well they sure are in for a big surprise one day, what a shame !

Romans 15:4 (NASB)
For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

2 Peter 1:20-21 (NASB)
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

2 Timothy 3:15-17 (NASB)
15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

"But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah,
the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." John 20:31

"For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope"

"
from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
"But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah,
the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."

I like that picture !!!

Old 08-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post

I like that picture !!!
Time for a new op .... thanks for the idea!

Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
The contradictions are there, so you will learn the truth.
However, you also need the desire to mature and grow.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:37 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:

Amen, Nate. I love those verses.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Amen, Nate. I love those verses.
I don't know about you, geeki, but when I was a fundamentalist Christian and I read those verses, I assumed "come to me to have life" meant "believe Jesus is your savior and died for your sins in your place so you won't go to hell".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity