Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 07:21 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times

Advertisements

Mary apparently had sex outside of marriage. It does not matter who the sperm donor was. The act was outside of marriage.

These relationships have always been accepted. They were not necessarily the ideal at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, jeff, just their fight to be treated decently just like everyone else. You have no authority to mistreat them, call them names, refuse to hire them, prevent them from marrying the one they love, or refuse to do business with them. Leave them alone and mind your OWN "sins."
Then stop shoving it in our faces and demanding that good Bible believing Christians give up their freedom of religion and be forced to accept an immoral lifestyle. You can't find a single post where I advocated for mistreating or name calling them. That's something your side does by calling us fundies.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then stop shoving it in our faces and demanding that good Bible believing Christians give up their freedom of religion and be forced to accept an immoral lifestyle. You can't find a single post where I advocated for mistreating or name calling them. That's something your side does by calling us fundies.

You should stop going out of your way to seek out what you do not approve. Nothing is shoved in your face. You seek out and obsess about the sexual lives of your brothers and sisters.

It comes from your personal emptiness, and lack of your own robust intimacy. You should work on that.

God wants you to stop obsessing about the sexual practices of others.
God wants you to meet someone and develop a robust relationship of your own.

God wants you to fill the void. God wants you to be happy.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:47 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
YOU expected a dodge? YOU put "who is harmed in my post" and that is supposed to be an answer to my request to point out WHERE in my post I said, "to others?"

You have GOT to be kidding me. You dodge MY requests and accuse ME of dodging because I refuse to go down the rabbit hole of your sex fantasies,

I think I should suggest that Ronkonomon Native offer you some therapy, she has some good advice.

You keep coming up with examples of things that are none of your business because of YOUR need to control by making hard and fast laws that don't take humanity into consideration at all. She can help with that if you will listen.
That's a dodge #2.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Then that is something that each of us should deal with.
Yes, that is true with all sins. Its between you and God.

Quote:
The advice to marry is one means of avoiding temptations and a REALLY poor reason to get married.
It is one positive aspect (not the only aspect) in marriage.

After three straight dodges, I will give up on expecting an answer to my questions. No big deal.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
YOU expected a dodge? YOU put "who is harmed in my post" and that is supposed to be an answer to my request to point out WHERE in my post I said, "to others?"

You have GOT to be kidding me. You dodge MY requests and accuse ME of dodging because I refuse to go down the rabbit hole of your sex fantasies,

I think I should suggest that Ronkonomon Native offer you some therapy, she has some good advice.

You keep coming up with examples of things that are none of your business because of YOUR need to control by making hard and fast laws that don't take humanity into consideration at all. She can help with that if you will listen.

hahahahaha My Lucy cartoon did not post. WAAaaaaaa

Old 08-18-2016, 08:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, that is true with all sins. Its between you and God.

It is one positive aspect (not the only aspect) in marriage.

After three straight dodges, I will give up on expecting an answer to my questions. No big deal.
So by being married I am no longer tempted to want sex?

God really does work in mysterious ways!!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So by being married I am no longer tempted to want sex?

God really does work in mysterious ways!!
Your brain works in mysterious ways causing you to never comprehend anything.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:12 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
That's a pretty weak and completely false attempt to link my beliefs to Hitler. The God I believe in is a God of patience, mercy and love. Hitler had none of these traits. Now God does not love sin. Likewise, I do not love the sin of homosexuality. Apparently you do. But I harbor no hate for homosexuals. None at all. My position all along is that they should have the right to live that lifestyle if it makes them happy. I only protest when they start interfering with our freedom of religion.

OTOH, the Nazis were unbelievably cruel. I just saw a film called Anthropoid and found myself literally weeping in the theater at the end after learning about the sacrifices and pain that the Czech people had to endure under Hitler's rule. The Nazis ruled by fear. And fear is of the devil.
Fear is exactly the tool of christian fundamentalism. Your faith is founded in fear. You are afraid to go to hell. You are afraid of those different from you. You are afraid of immigrants. You are afraid of appearing unfaithful (which you are as are most of us). You are afraid of Hillary while intending to vote for a narcissistic madman. You are, as many social psychologists have pointed out, fundamentally insecure.

Insecure people seek certainty. You are insecure and that is why fundamentalist religion appeals to you--you mistakenly think it has certainty when Jesus taught us not to be concerned with what may happen tomorrow but be grateful for what we have today.

You may differ from Hitler in that you do not wish to murder homosexuals---but like Hitler you wish to refuse them the right to shop freely in any market (Jews were refused the ability to shop freely) and would refuse them the right to marry (Jews were by law denied the right to marry Aryans. In other words, your fear, like Hitler's, demands you "control" those around you while granting yourself special privileges like tax breaks for a religion promoting fear.

”But fearful questions never led to love-filled answers; underneath every fearful question many other
fearful questions are hidden…. Fear engenders fear. Fear never gives birth to love. A careful look at the
gospels shows that Jesus seldom accepted the questions posed to him. He exposed them as coming from
the house of fear. ‘Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? How often must I forgive my brother if
he wrongs me? Is it against the law for a man to divorce his wife on any pretext whatever? What authority
do you have for acting like this? … Are you the king of the Jews? Lord, has the hour come? Are you
going to restore the kingdom to Israel?…’ To none of these questions did Jesus give a direct answer. He
gently put them aside as questions emerging from false worries. They were raised out of concern for
prestige, influence, power, and control. They did not belong to the house of God. Therefore Jesus always
transformed the question by his answer. He made the question new – and only then worthy of his
response.”
(Henri Nouwen, Lifesigns: Intimacy, Fecundity, and Ecstasy in Christian Perspective, 16-19).

As Nouwen pointed out, “fear engenders fear. Fear never gives birth to love.” Because those who seek
out Fundamentalism are likely to be very fearful people questing the certainty that fundamentalism
promises, and which they perceive it provides, they are not likely be particularly loving people.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
In their fight to support sin, you mean.
No, Jeff. I do not mean that. Wrong again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity