Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times

Advertisements

...but after this the judgment (Hebrews 9:27)

this verse is often used as a "killerverse" against the teaching of the reconciliation of the whole [universe] (Col. 1:20), I don't understand in which manner this verse contradicts that eventually all creatures will be saved.

For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Peter 4:6)

where does judgment in Hebrews 9:27 imply everlasting punishment or anything like that? In 1 Peter judgment seems to be something positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

this verse is often used as a "killerverse" against the teaching of the reconciliation of the whole [universe] (Col. 1:20), I don't understand in which manner this verse contradicts that eventually all creatures will be saved.

For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit. (1 Peter 4:6)

where does judgment in Hebrews 9:27 imply everlasting punishment or anything like that? In 1 Peter judgment seems to be something positive.
It's funny to me that this verse is used so much to relate to every person on earth which it is not if read in the context it was written...it is a discourse about the high priests. I suggest you read the entire text because this verse is being spoken of them, not humanity in general.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:15 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

)

I have never understood this one as well , i actually believed it meant everlasting punishment . Why ? , i haven't a clue , I cannot believe i was dumb enough to believe judgement meant ET. Even if ET was true, judgement does not mean ET , period

Last edited by pcamps; 10-11-2009 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-11-2009, 03:32 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
It's funny to me that this verse is used so much to relate to every person on earth which it is not if read in the context it was written...it is a discourse about the high priests. I suggest you read the entire text because this verse is being spoken of them, not humanity in general.
Hebrews 9:27 is about the entire human race in general. It is not about the high priests. That doesn't even make any sense.

As far as Col. 1:20, universal reconciliation is not universal salvation. Reconciliation simply means that Christ paid the penalty for every sin in the human race that would ever be committed. That means that sin will never be an issue in salvation. But that reconciliation is not applied to a person unless that person makes a decision to believe in Christ. That's why all the salvation passages are there, telling us to believe, to make a choice.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:48 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hebrews 9:27 is about the entire human race in general. It is not about the high priests. That doesn't even make any sense.
Go back and read the whole chapter...it is speaking about the high priests and their duties verses Jesus and how he fulfilled all that they did. It makes perfect sense if you keep it in the context in which it was written.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:23 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have never understood this one as well , i actually believed it meant everlasting punishment . Why ? , i haven't a clue , I cannot believe i was dumb enough to believe judgement meant ET. Even if ET was true, judgement does not mean ET , period
Yea, don't ya know it means a fire bath, with some spanking or err stripes. Hmm. Sounds kinky. But relax, it is only for a "spell" and then you are released. So be a good boy.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:25 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Yea, don't ya know it means a fire bath, with some spanking or err stripes. Hmm. Sounds kinky. But relax, it is only for a "spell" and then you are released. So be a good boy.
Actually i'm a very naughty boy . So my wife tells me

Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Actually i'm a very naughty boy . So my wife tells me
lol, mine too. Shh.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The verse is about everyone. ALL have been appointed to die. All of us have death for all of us have the condemnation that was appointed unto Adam.

Paul

Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
The offer of salvation is universal, but the entrance into heaven isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity