U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM

7,374 posts, read 7,241,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Because Christ fulfilled hundreds of prophecies , claimed then proved he was God in the flesh...to which the historical evidence clearly affirms...then we should be very glad that God gave us A WAY in which all people on earth could be forgiven of their many sins and spend an eternity with God the Creator in joy unspeakable. Christ affirmed original sin, life beyond the grave, and said emphatically that Man will go to one of 2 places after death , and forever. Because he proved who he was, you can have complete assurance HE is the way, the absolute truth, and the way to eternal life in Heaven.

In fact, based on his Person and what he did thru the resurrection, it is impossible for Christ to lie or to be a lunatic. EACH must decide who Christ is and make a response to him one way or the other ; that decision will have ramifications ., so, we really need to investigate Christ extremely closely since so much depends on what we decide about him. I hope you will. The best source i have ever found is here : www.impactapologetics.com if you want to thoroughly examine the proof for Christ and the afterlife. Hope to see you one day in Heaven .

Hello 007.5 ... I see you are relatively new to this forum, so i understand you don't have the benefit of understanding the ministry of reconciliation ... at least as it has been taught and or explained within the threads of this forum. So i will try answer your questions and offer responses to your arguments as well as i can.

You said ...

Quote:
Because Christ fulfilled hundreds of prophecies , claimed then proved he was God in the flesh...to which the historical evidence clearly affirms...then we should be very glad that God gave us A WAY in which all people on earth could be forgiven of their many sins and spend an eternity with God the Creator in joy unspeakable.
First of all I believe all people on earth are forgiven, and not "can be" forgiven. I believe Christ died for all sin no matter how great, for all men and even the fallen angels including Satan himself. There is no more sacrifice for sin as Christ died once and for ALL. I am very glad that this is the truth of the Good News.

You said ...
Quote:
Christ affirmed original sin, life beyond the grave, and said emphatically that Man will go to one of 2 places after death , and forever.
Christ did teach about life beyond the grave. But not in the way fundamental and or orthodox Christianity teaches about it. Life beyond the grave refers to the life we will have after we are resurrected. No one Goes to heaven or hell after they die. The bible clearly teaches that there is no thought or any other form of consciousness in the grave.

Job 3:17. "There [the grave] the wicked cease from troubling; and there the weary be at rest."

Job 7:21 "And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away my iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be."

Psalms 6:5. "For in death there is no remembrance of thee:in the grave who shall give thee thanks?"

Psa 22:29 "All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul."

Psalms 146:3-4. "Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whome there is no help. His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish."

Ecclesiastes 3:19-20. "For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place; all are of the dust and all turn to dust again."

Ecclesiastes 9:4-6,10. "For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion. For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing [....] Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished [...] Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest."

John 3:13 "No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven."

John 11:11-14. "These things said he [Jesus]: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead."

Acts 2:34 "For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand".

1 Timothy 6:16 "who(God) alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen."

Christ never taught about hell. Hell is the old English word which is derived from the Nordic myth of Hel, who was the daughter of Loki the trickster God. Its funny in a way, in that it is ironic seeing as the myth of hell is one of the greatest tricks ever perpetrated on humanity.

The word hell found in the bible is the translation of four different words, and three very different ideas taught about in the bible. they are the Hebrew word Sheol and its Greek equivalent Hades which both literally mean unseen, and refer to the grave. The other two are Gehenna (the valley of Hinnom, a place on earth), and tartaroo, the prison of the fallen angels.

Gehenna was a trash pit outside of the walls of Jerusalem which was kept burning at all times. Christ refered to Gehenna when he warned the Jews that if they did not receive him as their messiah, then they would be killed and cast therein when the temple was destroyed and Israel along with it.

Jesus is the only person other than his brother James to ever use the word Gehenna in the new testament. Christ never spoke of it as a place people Go in the afterlife. He spoke of it as a place that peoples dead bodies would be thrown after they died.

Mat 10:28
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell(Gehenna).

This verse is often quoted mistakenly as proof that Gehenna is a place the soul of the dead goes in the after life. Of course that argument plainly contradicts what the verse actually says. If the soul is destroyed by God then how can it still exist and be conscious in Gehenna? The point Christ is making is that man can only kill the body, but God can kill the body and in effect the souls if he chooses not to resurrect that person after death. So their soul is thus destroyed. Not to mention this was talking about when Israel would be destroyed in 70 AD and the Romans threw the dead bodies of the slain Hebrews into the fires of Gehenna to dispose of them.

You said ...

Quote:
Because he proved who he was, you can have complete assurance HE is the way, the absolute truth, and the way to eternal life in Heaven.
Okay, first of all the phrase "Eternal Life" in the bible is the mistranslation of the Greek words "Aionios Zoe", which should be translated as "life age during", or "life pertaining to the ages". Aionios is the adjective form of the Greek word aion, which actually means age. The proper English translation of the word aion is either age or eon. an aion or eon or age is an indefinite period of time in which a certain social/political or spiritual etc. tend persits. So for instance the time from the fall of Adam to the time of the ten commandments is called the age of Conscience by dispensationalists. While the time from the givinng of the commandments to the time of the hebrew kings was the age of judges, then the age of kings, then the age of Grace wherein we now abide, or the time(age/aion) of the gentiles as it were. Paul speaks about the purpose of God in the ages in detail in the book of Ephesians chapter 3.

Again the word aionios is and adjective form of the word aion. The Greek suffix -ion means "of" or "pertaining to". So when you ad the suffix -ion to the noun aion you get an adjective which means of the age/ages or pertaining to the ages" etc.

Whenever you see eternal life or everlasting contempt, it is the false translation of this adjective. "Aionios zoe" actually is not referring to the duration or length of our lives after recieving Christ. It instead is referring to the quality of life we have after receiving him. Jesus what "aionios zoe" actually means, or what it actually represents.

Jhn 17:3
And this is life eternal (aionios zoe, i.e age-during life), that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

the Young's literal translation does a much better Job of translating the bible.

Jhn 17:3
and this is the life age-during(aionios zoe), that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ;

To say we have life age during means that we receive the newness of life in the spirit during our lives or in the ages. When the bible speaks of the duration of our lives after the resurrection it uses a different words altogether. It speaks of immortality and incorruptibility ...

Rom 2:7
to those, indeed, who in continuance of a good work, do seek glory, and honour, and incorruptibility(aphtharsia) -- life age-during(aionios zoe);

this verse alone shows that there is a distince difference between the two concepts. Aphtharsia(incorruptibility/immortality) refers to the duration of life after the resurrection which we receive which is everlasting, while aionios zoe refers to the quality of life we have even now in this life/age because we Know The father and his Christ. That quality being of peace and joy and hope in the resurrection and in immortality which we will put on at his coming.

1Cr 15:53
for it behoveth this corruptible to put on incorruption(aphtharsia), and this mortal to put on immortality(athanasia);

Again, the Greek words aphtharsia and athanasia refer to the everlasting and undying duration of our lives when we are resurrected, while aionios zoe refers to the quality of life we will have then and even now when we know Christ and the father. They are not the same things. And aionios Zoe is not the same thing or shoulf not be translated as everlasting or eternal.

Concerning heaven, no one goes to heaven or hell after they die. We enter into the kingdom of heaven in this life, which is a spiritual inheritance now, and the new city of Jerusalem which will come down from heaven with Christ at his coming, according to a futurist interpretation of prophecy at least. People quote 2Cr 5:8 as evidence that people go to heaven when they die. But this is not exegeting scripture properly. We must prove the proper meaning of one scripture or group of scriptures with other scriptures throughout the bible. We cant take what one scripture says and use it to form doctrine alone, especially if it stands is abject contradiction with so many other scriptures, such as the ones i quoted above showing what happens after death.

2Cr 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

This, in light of the above quoted scriptures, must be referring to the fact that when we die, we are not conscious again till the resurrection. So to the one that dies, it seems as if they are suddenly in the presence of the lord. That is also what Luk 23:43 is referring to...

Luk 23:43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Now realize there is no punctuation in the ancient Koine Greek. So if you took the comma in that sentence and just moved it over a word you would get ...

Luk 23:43
And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee Today, shalt thou be with me in paradise.

He was not saying the penitent thief would be with him in paradise that day, as the lord himself did not ascend into heaven until after he resurrected. What Christ was saying is that after the resurrection the penitent thief would be with him in paradise. Paradise does not refer to heaven, it refers to the new heavens and the new earth. The word paradise is paradeisos which means basically garden. It is a reference to how things were in the garden of Eden(on earth) before the fall of Adam. and eve. At the fullness of times, God will recreate the heavens and earth (according to dispensational and/or futurist interpretations of prophecy), and he will reconcile the entire universe(greek - Kosmos) to himself.

Col 1:20
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile (apokatallassō) all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth(mankind), or things in heaven(angels).

apokatallassō
1) to reconcile completely
2) to reconcile back again
3) bring back a former state of harmony

God will bring all things in heaven and in earth back into a former state of harmony with him as they were before the fall of Adam and even in the garden of Eden. This is what Christ is referring to when he tells the thief that he will be with him in paradise, or in the new heavens and new earth.

You said ...
Quote:
In fact, based on his Person and what he did thru the resurrection, it is impossible for Christ to lie or to be a lunatic. EACH must decide who Christ is and make a response to him one way or the other ; that decision will have ramifications ., so, we really need to investigate Christ extremely closely since so much depends on what we decide about him. I hope you will. The best source i have ever found is here
The truth is no one can come to Christ unless the father drag them to Christ. We do not choose him he chooses us. Whenever we make a decision to believe in Christ it is actually God who is working within us both to will and do of his good pleasure. Faith is a gift which is given us, and not something we take or make for ourselves.

Jhn 6:44
No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw(helkō) him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Greek helkō -
1) to draw, drag off
2) metaph., to draw by inward power, lead, impel

The word Helko has a stronger meaning than to simply draw. It implies a greater force which is better translated as drag. As in to drag against ones will. For example, the same word is used in Jhn 21:6 in reference to the apostles dragging a net of fish into the boat.

Jhn 21:6

And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw(helko- drag) it for the multitude of fishes.

Phl 2:13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Eph 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it(faith) is the gift of God:

Hbr 12:2
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

You can see they were not trying to impel the fish into the boat. Its not like they were pleasding with the fish and hope they would jump into the boat of their own will, but they were forcibly trying to drag them in. That is how God drags us to the cross of Christ and compels us(not impels us) to believe in him.

Jhn 15:16
Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Eventually everyone will believe in Christ and confess he is lord to the glory of the father. All people of every notion will worship him and sing his name. For gods judgments when they are in the earth will cause all peoples to learn righteousness.

Psa 67:4
O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah.

Psa 66:4
All the earth shall worship thee, and shall sing unto thee; they shall sing to thy name. Selah.

Isa 26:9
With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early: for when thy judgments are in the earth, the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness.

Isa 45:23
I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear(Hebrew shaba`- to swear allegiance).

Rom 14:11
For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess(Greek exomologeō - To acknowledge openly and joyfully, to to one's honour: to celebrate, give praise to, to o profess that one will do something, to promise, agree, engage) to God.

Phl 2:10
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth

Im sure you will have plenty to say in response to this and i could go ahead and try to answer you here and now, but first i will allow you the opportunity to digest this first, and then rebuttal.

Amen and Selah.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,448,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
First I did not comfirm a familar spirit is a hollow sound. To begin with many words have more than one meaning. And just as in the English the meaning is determined by the context. This word is no different it means:

1.)a mumble
2.)a water skin (because it has a hollow sound) It doesn't say the defintion IS a hollow sound.
3.)necromancer
4.)bottle
5.) familiar spirit

Reread the definiton:

familiar spirit #178 'owb obe *from the same as 1 (apparently through the idea of prattling a father's name); properly, a mumble, i.e. *a water skin (from its hollow sound); hence a necromancer (ventriloquist, as from a jar):--bottle, familiar spirit.

*NOTE its the water skin that has a hollow sound not the familiar spirit.

Again note: in the O. T. it's rendered as familiar spirit(s) 16 times and bottles 1 time.
I was saying that the necromancer or medium is a hollow sound...there is no substance to them, they are divining nothing...familiar spirit is better suited to ventriliquist maybe in that it is the person making the sound for the dummy...

Quote:
You have give me nothing to prove the word adversary always means satan/the devil. First of all if it means satan it has the definite article, and again this word has more than one meaning, and the defintion is determined by the context it's used in:

#7854 satan saw-tawn' from 7853; an opponent; especially (with the article prefixed) Satan, the arch-enemy of good:--adversary, Satan, withstand.

Again...in the O. T. it is render Satan 19, adversary 7, withstand 1
You think it is the definition of the word that is the arch-enemy of good? That is what the translators obviously thought. But Judaism teaches that it is the force of evil not a "person" and is put into the world by the same God that is the Most Holy. So when we look at the Hebrew word...lets not take the KJV translators definition from Greek tradition. Christianity thinks satan is a person... Judaism believes it is a force:
"So, no, Satan does not wear a red suit, or carry a trident. Nor does he wear a business suit. Satan is a force of evil in the world that we must resist. Satan most often appears as a desire within you. Of course, there is no shortage of things in the world to tempt us to sin." Does Judaism Believe in Satan?

Now I'm not saying all Jews think the same exact thing but the word means the same.. Adversary.

Here's the thing.. the tradition of the proper noun Satan being used is unnecessary as in personifies the adversary.
For example:
(John 8:34) "Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin."
Sin is also personified but there is no real "sin" monster that you enslaved to.

Quote:
2 And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit,

Mark. 5:6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him,

NOTE, he, the man is not named. In other words the man's name is not Legion.

7 And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.

8 For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.

Did Christ say, come out of him you sickness? No He said unclean spirit.

9 And he asked *him, What is thy name? And **he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for ***we are many.

*him. Who? The unclean spirit.
**he. Who answered? the unclean spirit.
***we. Who's the we? A legion of unclean spirits.
****them. Who. The legion of unclean spirits.

NOTE. the unclean spirits talked to Christ. Can a disease do this? I think not.

10 And **he besought him much that he would not send ****them away out of the country.

11 Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.

12 And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that ***we may enter into them.

13 And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand); and were choked in the sea.

Again could a disease have been chocked in the sea?

14 And they that fed the swine fled, and told it in the city, and in the country. And they went out to see what it was that was done.

15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

Now if you can't see that Christ cast out a Legion of unclean spirits from this man than there's not much hope for you.
The man talked of "them," the unclean spirits, as he identified them and as such Jesus ministered to him in that way....
Note that the Legion represents a number right? A legion in the 1st century is approx...well some say more than 5000 so how did they all fit in those pigs... furthermore.. the demons are cast into pigs yet the demons don't die from drowning, the unclean animal (pig) does...

So how is it that Jesus didn't take care of those masses of demons better than to kill some pigs? Notice also that when others see the "crazy man" with the legions he is described as "of sound mind" again.

The unclean spirits from obvious mental disease go into some NEARBY pigs that were also said to be unclean... because they give you mental disease? Well sure that can be the case.

Also, do demons drown? The pigs drown, not demons... they were apparently free to roam and pillage after that.

Last edited by katjonjj; 10-13-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,065,623 times
I do not think that is very fair or loving if babies who died went to Hell.

They are the most innocent as it is.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
We are saved by grace alone through faith alone
Ok so which one? you can't have grace through faith and not have one come before the other....

That was a lousy answer.

You have faith you get grace...right? yet the bible says you receive grace... grace is salvation...faith is not salvation.. faith is work.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Ok so which one? you can't have grace through faith and not have one come before the other....

That was a lousy answer.

You have faith you get grace...right? yet the bible says you receive grace... grace is salvation...faith is not salvation.. faith is work.

Faith is a gift as well. It is work, but not our work. It is the work of Christ, for he is the author and finisher of our faith. (Hbr 12:2)

Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Faith is a gift as well. It is work, but not our work. It is the work of Christ, for he is the author and finisher of our faith. (Hbr 12:2)
I agree... if you have to force faith by the use of eternal torture it is work and maintaining faith can be a work in progress. It is God who compels us and God who circumcises our hearts so that we can come to him.

Anyway... it amazes me to read your posts and see how close you are to preterism... obviously you realize that what Jesus foretold about 70AD was fulfilled so is it the division of Matt. 24 or what...

Never mind that last part... I guess this is probably the wrong thread.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I agree... if you have to force faith by the use of eternal torture it is work and maintaining faith can be a work in progress. It is God who compels us and God who circumcises our hearts so that we can come to him.

Anyway... it amazes me to read your posts and see how close you are to preterism... obviously you realize that what Jesus foretold about 70AD was fulfilled so is it the division of Matt. 24 or what...

Never mind that last part... I guess this is probably the wrong thread.

Right ... I am not a full futurist, nor a full preterist. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I am still sudying these things. Actually right now its on the back burner ... But I keep stirring the pot every once and a while to make sure things stay fresh. Always learning ...

Well, going to play a few games of billiards ... C'ya!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 AM

438 posts, read 917,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
---Quote (Originally by joetownmom)---
Just remember that Christians of any sect would not have a Bible had not the Catholic Church - the only CHristian sect for centuries - preserved it until the Reformation Years (1500's) when men like Luther could start to come up with their own take on it.
---End Quote---

The inspired Books had already been determined by God himself , and it was simply up to the Church to recognize which books were inspired for canonization . The RCC didnt 'give us the Bible'... God himself did.

Debate it however you wish but the facts remain. I did not say that the Catholic Church "gave" the world the Bible; I said that they preserved it over many centuries when the Catholic faith was the one and only Christian faith. Were it not for this preservation, there would have been no Bible for King James or anyone else to have translated or interpreted into the multiple versions that we didn today.

And the Catholic Bible today still contains the major books of the Apocrphya.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,506,559 times
When the son of King David died, David tells us that he would one day go to be with his son.

I assume that King David is going to be in the Kingdom of Christ, so that means that this child would also be in the future Kingdom of Christ...

This hints to us that all children of such a youg age are going to be in the kingdom.

Now, this is in agreement with what Paul tells us of his own childhood.
Paul says that he once was alive before the law came..This I believe is talking about his life as a little child.
Then Paul says that as he got older the Law came.
This must mean that he reached the age that according to Jews was the age where the Law has rule over you and you become an official Jew.

Paul next tells us that once he was under the Law, sin sprang forth from his heart because of the opportunity it has on people under the law.
Once sin entered into the life of Paul he says that he was not "dead"

So to sum up.
The bible appears to offer little children "UNIVERSAL SALVATION", right up to that age where we as people first begin to fall in sin.
At that point we respond to sin and we die...
This would also then be the same age where we can turn to Christ and become Born again...

Old 10-17-2009, 06:17 PM

29 posts, read 59,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whos'who View Post
Are new born babies who are not saved and who have not excepted Jesus as their lord and savior, comdemned to hell?
Don't forget Jesus was not baptized until he was an adult, baptizing babies is a man made tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or