U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM
 
218 posts, read 274,887 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Alan we may not always agree but here you and I do agree. To add to this as well, I think this "age of accountability" is when we are mature enough to understand sin and sacrifice. Adam and Eve were not accountable to God for their nakedness (they were not ashamed) until after they sinned and sin entered the world. Once they understood sin, God placed those animal skins on them to cover up their nakedness. Therefore God then held them accountable for sin. Make sense? And that is just one example of many. I like to go to Matt 18 and read where we are to become as little children upon conversion (verse 3). Why? because they are sinless, innocent children. When we are "born again" (1 Peter 1:23 -by the word as Alan pointed out) we are sinless and therefore like these children (John 3:3-5)
Well spoken Dalton. Thank you for helping clarify biblical truth. Come to me as little children. God wouldn't say come to me as filthy sinful children so they must be pure and without knowledge of sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,595,943 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
Well spoken Dalton. Thank you for helping clarify biblical truth. Come to me as little children. God wouldn't say come to me as filthy sinful children so they must be pure and without knowledge of sin.

Do you have children? Because children are not pure without knowledge of sin. Children can be very greedy. They want a toy, and they want it NOW. They have to be taught to share and not hit their siblings.

But what children have is a wide-eyed acceptance. Children are like sponges. They can be easily molded and taught when they are young - not so much when they get older. That is why we teach our children early on to not hit their siblings and to share nicely. The learn and accept quickly.

It is because they are children that they accept this teaching easily. And this is how we should come to God, with a wide eyed acceptance and belief and trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
 
218 posts, read 274,887 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Do you have children? Because children are not pure without knowledge of sin. Children can be very greedy. They want a toy, and they want it NOW. They have to be taught to share and not hit their siblings.

But what children have is a wide-eyed acceptance. Children are like sponges. They can be easily molded and taught when they are young - not so much when they get older. That is why we teach our children early on to not hit their siblings and to share nicely. The learn and accept quickly.

It is because they are children that they accept this teaching easily. And this is how we should come to God, with a wide eyed acceptance and belief and trust.
Yes I have a 6 year old boy. My son when I ask him do you believe in Jesus Christ that He paid for your sins and through Him you are forgiven tells me he believes in Jesus and God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,645,115 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
Alan we may not always agree but here you and I do agree. To add to this as well, I think this "age of accountability" is when we are mature enough to understand sin and sacrifice. Adam and Eve were not accountable to God for their nakedness (they were not ashamed) until after they sinned and sin entered the world. Once they understood sin, God placed those animal skins on them to cover up their nakedness. Therefore God then held them accountable for sin. Make sense? And that is just one example of many. I like to go to Matt 18 and read where we are to become as little children upon conversion (verse 3). Why? because they are sinless, innocent children. When we are "born again" (1 Peter 1:23 -by the word as Alan pointed out) we are sinless and therefore like these children (John 3:3-5)
Yeah... tell that to the HUMAN judge who presided over the case of the 8 year old who slaughtered his father and another man.... Does the 8 year old also qualify for Universal Salvation?

What about the six year old who killed another 6 year old classmate... Innocence=Salvation?

The 15 year old who stabbed a 78 year old woman 33 times?

There are 2,225 people sentenced to life in prison for crimes committed as children according to Human Rights Watch website (hrw.org).

How many of them were saved had they died the next day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM
 
159 posts, read 198,782 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Do you have children? Because children are not pure without knowledge of sin. Children can be very greedy. They want a toy, and they want it NOW. They have to be taught to share and not hit their siblings.

But what children have is a wide-eyed acceptance. Children are like sponges. They can be easily molded and taught when they are young - not so much when they get older. That is why we teach our children early on to not hit their siblings and to share nicely. The learn and accept quickly.

It is because they are children that they accept this teaching easily. And this is how we should come to God, with a wide eyed acceptance and belief and trust.
It could mean what you say or it may mean as we already said. How do we decide? The bible and other scripture as well. Look at Acts 3:19 where he says repent and be converted that your sins may be blotted out. Now what did Matt 18:3 say? Be converted. The point? Upon your conversion your sins are blotted out and yet when we are converted we become little children. Is this a contradiction? No it means that becoming little children is becoming sinless.

This is biblical evidence showing this is what He means. We can not take a verse and assume it means something, we must tie the whole bible in together sos that it does not contradict, because it doesn't. Remember Psalm 119:160 - The word in its entirety is truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 AM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,595,943 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
Yes I have a 6 year old boy. My son when I ask him do you believe in Jesus Christ that He paid for your sins and through Him you are forgiven tells me he believes in Jesus and God.
Awesome. That is the wide-eyed acceptance of being a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,645,115 times
Reputation: 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Awesome. That is the wide-eyed acceptance of being a child.
Yes, I think that is the point Jesus was trying to make about children. Not that they are innocent but that they are teachable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,595,943 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonG View Post
It could mean what you say or it may mean as we already said. How do we decide? The bible and other scripture as well. Look at Acts 3:19 where he says repent and be converted that your sins may be blotted out. Now what did Matt 18:3 say? Be converted. The point? Upon your conversion your sins are blotted out and yet when we are converted we become little children. Is this a contradiction? No it means that becoming little children is becoming sinless.

This is biblical evidence showing this is what He means. We can not take a verse and assume it means something, we must tie the whole bible in together sos that it does not contradict, because it doesn't. Remember Psalm 119:160 - The word in its entirety is truth.
Dalton, in order for it to mean what you say, children would have to be sinless, and we know that is not true.

All have sinned. There is none good, no not one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
 
6,221 posts, read 6,595,943 times
Reputation: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yes, I think that is the point Jesus was trying to make about children. Not that they are innocent but that they are teachable.
YES! Many become unteachable when they are older. I know I was for a while, but God broke me and remade me. I finally came back to Him as a little child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 AM
 
159 posts, read 198,782 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yeah... tell that to the HUMAN judge who presided over the case of the 8 year old who slaughtered his father and another man.... Does the 8 year old also qualify for Universal Salvation?

What about the six year old who killed another 6 year old classmate... Innocence=Salvation?

The 15 year old who stabbed a 78 year old woman 33 times?

There are 2,225 people sentenced to life in prison for crimes committed as children according to Human Rights Watch website (hrw.org).

How many of them were saved had they died the next day?
You are using logic to teach God's will. I see no biblical evidence to back your statement up. If the 8 or 6 year old knows right from wrong and can understand sin then yes he is lost eternally. If he does not then he is not accountable. If a 25 year old has the mind of a 4 year old (I know people in such a condition) and they can not understand sin and Jesus Christ, they will not be accountable for their disobedience or sin. Show where the bible teaches such.

Not even Jesus is discussed until He was 12. He was God yes but came as a man (Phil 2) and was a child who knew no better than any other until He was mature and ready. Yet, He was sinless why? Because children (those who can not yet understand) can not sin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:49 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top