U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 06:10 AM

12,920 posts, read 4,931,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Which shows yet once more what you're so confident about only proves that you're confused about basic Lutheran theology.

LCMS and Concordia doesn't need anything more to attract a wider audience than what is already published
Please explain how I am confused about Lutheran theology. What are my errors?

Please be specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 06:18 AM

13,286 posts, read 4,246,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Neither poster has exhibited rational thinking, or empathy, in my experience.

But their continued postings are helpful for deterring those who DO possess at least a semblance of rationality and/or empathy, from following the fundamentalist path to uselessness and extinction.

Wait, what?

You really think Twin thinks babies gonna go to hell?

C'mon man, I aint believing that.

Is that right Twin?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:19 AM

4,851 posts, read 1,464,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Neither poster has exhibited rational thinking, or empathy, in my experience.

But their continued postings are helpful for deterring those who DO possess at least a semblance of rationality and/or empathy, from following the fundamentalist path to uselessness and extinction.

Is this stuff really Lutheranism? I've never been interested in them, along with ones like Nethodists and Presbryterians , seeming to me to be sort of old and staid versions of Christianity, but I thought they were a rational faith . Sort of Catholic lite with much of the craziness removed .

Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Is this stuff really Lutheranism? I've never been interested in them, along with ones like Nethodists and Presbryterians , seeming to me to be sort of old and staid versions of Christianity, but I thought they were a rational faith . Sort of Catholic lite with much of the craziness removed .
Depends on the kind of Lutheranism. Conservative Lutheranism (Missouri Synod & Wisconsin Synod in the US) is very similar to American fundamentalism: biblical literalism, young earth creationism, Adam and Eve as literal historical figures, original sin, substitutionary atonement, a literal heaven/hell, emphasis on eternal salvation rather than "worldly" concerns like poverty, injustice, etc. There's a sadomasochistic element to conservative Lutheranism: go to a Good Friday service in a conservative Lutheran church and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Liberal Lutheranism (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) is more like the "mainline" Protestant denominations, with less emphasis on doctrine and eternal salvation, and more emphasis on "here and now" concerns like poverty and social justice. It's more like the episcopal church: ancient rituals and tradition, but less of the guilt and fire and brimstone. It's Lutheran Lite.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:08 AM

4,851 posts, read 1,464,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Depends on the kind of Lutheranism. Conservative Lutheranism (Missouri Synod & Wisconsin Synod in the US) is very similar to American fundamentalism: biblical literalism, young earth creationism, Adam and Eve as literal historical figures, original sin, substitutionary atonement, a literal heaven/hell, emphasis on eternal salvation rather than "worldly" concerns like poverty, injustice, etc. There's a sadomasochistic element to conservative Lutheranism: go to a Good Friday service in a conservative Lutheran church and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Liberal Lutheranism (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) is more like the "mainline" Protestant denominations, with less emphasis on doctrine and eternal salvation, and more emphasis on "here and now" concerns like poverty and social justice. It's more like the episcopal church: ancient rituals and tradition, but less of the guilt and fire and brimstone. It's Lutheran Lite.

It is strange for there to be such a dichotomy between branches of the same nominal faith . Sort of like having liberal non tongues speaking pentecostal Assembly of God sects .

Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
It is strange for there to be such a dichotomy between branches of the same nominal faith . Sort of like having liberal non tongues speaking pentecostal Assembly of God sects .
LOL, I know what you mean by that, I was a Pentecostal for like 45 years, Assembly of God, go figure. My grandma brought a black woman to church with her and the Baptist kicked her out and the Assembly of God was the only other church in town. I might have been a Baptist for 45 years if not from that one incident, It would have been better.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes. Denominational labels like "Lutheran" and "Methodist" mean almost nothing. Liberal versions of those denominations have almost nothing in common with the conservative versions.

In the business world, the different versions would have taken each other to court over naming rights a long time ago. I can't just start a new burger joint called McDonald's. But in religion, any crackpot can start a new offshoot of an existing denomination while keeping the same name, causing confusion for everyone.

I'd love to see the different Christian factions take each other to court over naming rights. It'd be wildly entertaining. Every sect of every sunset of every denomination thinks that they alone are the Last True Christians, the Faithful Remnant that has preserved the original faith of Jesus and the Apostles. To liberal denominations, the fundamentalists are a wacky new movement that started in the 1920s, totally at odds with Christ's REAL message of love and charity for all. To fundamentalists, liberalism is a heretical new movement that ignores the Absolute Truth of the inerrant and infallible Holy Bible, which was written by God Himself.

It'd be entertaining to see each sect present its case for why they are the "true" Lutherans/ Presbyterians/ Methodists/ Baptists/ etc.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
To fundamentalists, liberalism is a heretical new movement that ignores the Absolute Truth of the inerrant and infallible Holy Bible, which was written by God Himself.

Yeah but can we put them in jail for offending us?

What if we don't all agree?

Shouldn't the ones who don't agree be jailed?

Old 04-20-2016, 12:35 PM

11,823 posts, read 9,815,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Wait, what?

You really think Twin thinks babies gonna go to hell?

C'mon man, I aint believing that.

Is that right Twin?
Hannibal,

We are told that babies (in the womb or born) \ infants who are exposed to the gospel
  • God works saving faith in the individual (Psalm 22:10; 2Timothy 3:15)
    • which decision theology ultimately disputes for a variety of reasons
We are told in no uncertain terms:
“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them,
for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these
.” ~ Jesus
What we are not told the fate of the "hindered" since the above was spoken to parents attempting to bring the children before Jesus.

"Yes - No - Maybe" are all human suppositions and could very easily lead to Monday morning QB trust in a Merciful and Just God.

I am content with these:
** "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."

“So listen to me, you men of understanding.
Far be it from God to do evil, from the Almighty to do wrong."
** and for those who deny Jesus is God and God is Triune, the Holy Bible says in the NT:
They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink;
for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and
that rock was Christ.

"For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form," ("Deity" aka the Trinity)

Last edited by twin.spin; 04-20-2016 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Hannibal,

We are told that babies (in the womb or born) \ infants who are exposed to the gospel
  • God works saving faith in the individual (Psalm 22:10; 2Timothy 3:15)
    • which decision theology ultimately disputes for a variety of reasons
We are told in no uncertain terms:
“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them,
for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” ~ Jesus
What we are not told the fate of the "hindered" since the above was spoken to parents attempting to bring the children before Jesus.

"Yes - No - Maybe" are all human suppositions and could very easily lead to Monday morning QB trust in a Merciful and Just God.

I am content with these:
** "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he."

“So listen to me, you men of understanding.
Far be it from God to do evil, from the Almighty to do wrong."
** and for those who deny Jesus is God and God is Triune, the Holy Bible says in the NT:
They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink;
for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ.

"For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form," ("Deity" aka the Trinity)

They were followed around by a Rock?

A moving Rock, lol.

I always thought that was funny.

Thanks for explaining even though I didn't understand that well, I am slow witted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or